• Pavano & Hughes In Rehab Race?

Posted by on June 24th, 2008 · Comments (8)

Via George King -

Dropping him into the clubhouse might prove to be too much of a challenge, but there is a chance Carl “American Idle” Pavano could be ready to pitch for the Yankees before Phil Hughes.

“I haven’t asked, but it’s possible,” GM Brian Cashman said last night. “Pavano should be ready by August and Hughes in August.”

Considering Pavano, who is trying to rebound from last year’s Tommy John surgery, is throwing curveballs off a mound and Hughes (fractured rib) isn’t even on a mound, Pavano would be considered ahead of Hughes.

“The rehabs are different,” Cashman said. “Phil Hughes will start throwing from flat ground, but it won’t be as long (as Pavano’s).”

Now that the Yankees are serving ice cream in their clubhouse again, I’m sure that Pavano is a man on a mission. It wouldn’t shock me to see Carl beat Phil back to the Bronx.

Comments on Pavano & Hughes In Rehab Race?

1. MJ
      June 24th, 2008 | 8:54 am

Ugh. Pavano. Every time I hear his name, I cringe. The expiration date on his contract can’t come soon enough. Good riddance to him.

2. Corey
      June 24th, 2008 | 9:08 am

i’d rather give a young arm a chance then pavano…but something tells me he willget a shot due to his salary

3. Joel
      June 24th, 2008 | 9:24 am

This isn’t about anything but who can pitch and help this team now. If Pavano really is ready, then get him out there.

June 24th, 2008 | 10:11 am

————-
      Nice! :D

5. baileywalk
      June 24th, 2008 | 11:33 am

What’s the point? He’ll pitch one game and then break a finger or pull a hamstring or collapse a lung doing wind sprints. Pavano is either really unlucky, totally injury prone, or unwilling to play with any type of pain.

Or maybe it’s just a weird curse of that Marlins pitching staff. Outside of Beckett (who had his issues back in the day) all of those guys have issues with injuries: Pavano, Burnett, Penny, and poor Dontrelle is just a mess all around.

Incidentally, Steve, since you’re so anti-athlete-blog, you should stay away from yardbarker.com or you’ll have an epileptic fit: it has dozens of athlete blogs. All those distracted minds! It could ruin sports forever.

6. EdB
      June 24th, 2008 | 12:52 pm

He may it back before Hughes but odds are he’ll also be gone before Hughes even gets back (I give him 72 hours in NY before he slams his hand into a cab door or something).

7. hopbitters
      June 24th, 2008 | 2:39 pm

My prediction is that if he comes back, he’ll be mostly injury-free for the remainder of his league-average career.

8. yankees76
      June 26th, 2008 | 1:20 am

I’ve gotten over being mad at Pavano. If he can come back and help the team AT ALL the last two months of the season, I don’t care.

Give him a full WS share if the Yankees win no. 27 as a result, in part, of his contributions.