• Kid Carter Takes Shot At General Joe

Posted by on June 25th, 2008 · Comments (6)

Via George King -

For a guy who played the game with Hall of Fame talent and smarts, Gary Carter is saying and doing some dumb things.

Talking to the L.A. Times about not getting a chance to manage in the big leagues, Carter took a big and unnecessary shot at Joe Girardi and the Steinbrenner family.

“[The] pictures Joe Girardi must have on Steinbrenner,” said Carter, who is managing in a California independent league.

When those words were relayed to Girardi following last night’s 12-3 defeat to the Pirates at PNC Park, Girardi listened without comment. Asked if he had a bad history with Carter, Girardi said he didn’t.

“He was always cordial and nice to me,” Girardi said.

My initial reaction on this is the same that Yankees fans had back on April 16, 1985 – towards Carter.

I could not stand Gary Carter when he played for the Mets. He was a “Red Light” player – long before anyone ever hung that term on Curt Schilling. When he was on the field, Carter always knew which T.V. camera was hot.

Later, after he retired, my position on Carter softened – and I was happy for him when he was selected for Cooperstown.

Now, after he lobbied for Willie Randolph’s job (with the Mets) – while Willow was still in it – and this, well, Carter is starting to sound like a whiney and complaining menopausal wash-woman in need of some good meds.

Comments on Kid Carter Takes Shot At General Joe

1. MJ
      June 25th, 2008 | 9:03 am

Carter’s comments appear to be totally out of left field. Did Girardi and Carter have any run-ins during their career? I know the Cubs used to be in the old NL East so maybe the Mets and Cubs had something brewing back in the late 80′s?

I just can’t figure where Carter would have beef with Girardi, other than jealousy that Joe is managing the big leagues and Gary isn’t.

Either way, a very unprofessional statement.

2. Joel
      June 25th, 2008 | 9:08 am

3. OnceIWasAYankeeFan
      June 25th, 2008 | 9:42 am

Not only is it classless but its stupid. Girardi has been regarded as a managerial candidate since he was playing, and had good results in Florida. And I think that is what Carter’s problem is. Two backstops, two guys who hoped for a managerial career. One is in Yankee Stadium and the other is in a CA independent league. I might say bitter stupid stuff too.

June 25th, 2008 | 10:21 am

~~~With comments like that is there any question why this guy doesn’t have a big league gig?~~~

Well, when you consider Ozzie Guillen has a job…

~~~Did Girardi and Carter have any run-ins during their career? ~~~

I doubt it. By the time Girardi came into the league, Carter’s career was winding down. I think you may be on to somethnig with the jealousy angle. I do find the whole thing to be odd, as I never really thought Carter was ever seriously considered to be a manager. Commentator, broadcaster, sure, but never a manager.

5. June 25th, 2008 | 12:13 pm

IMO Carter is getting the itch to manage in the majors and is going to keep taking shots like this until some owner finally caves and says, “Oh yeah? Let’s see what YOU can do..”

6. hopbitters
      June 25th, 2008 | 1:23 pm

Sadly, owners are just that stupid.