• June 29th @ The Mets

Posted by on June 29th, 2008 · Comments (11)

It kills me every time Oliver Perez pitches a good game against the Yankees. Why? I just have this fear of Hank Stein falling in love with him – based on what Perez does against the Yanks – and then signing him as a free agent this off-season.

Don’t get me wrong…if the Yankees want to sign a young, left-handed, starting pitcher free agent in this, or any, off-season, I’m fine with that…as long as he’s good and of sound mind and body. Perez? He’s just a mess – unless he’s pitching against the Yankees. And, it would be a waste of money to sign him as a free agent.

Speaking of pitching, Darrell Rasner was better today. Based on what we’re hearing now from Girardi on Ian Kennedy (that he’s not on a rehab assignment, that he was demoted to the minors, and he has to earn his way back to the majors) and what we’re hearing now from Cashman on Phil Hughes (that he should pitch again this season – but, don’t expect it to be in the majors), the Yankees are going to need Rasner to be decent…because there aren’t many other options on the roster.

Before I forget…yeah, that homer from Wilson Betemit was impressive today. It had the look, sound, and distance of a Glenallen Hill juice-job circa 2000. No, I not suggesting anything about Betemit. I’m just saying that you cannot hit a ball any harder than that one.

How about David Robertson? Well, based on what we saw today, I would say that his upside is Gregg Olson (the former Orioles closer) and his downside is Jason Anderson (a recent failed Yankees pitching prospect). Then again, he could just be somewhere in the middle too.

One last thing before I get to the most important thing about this game…how about that hissy fit by Agador Reyes in the top of the seventh (when he was charged with a throwing error on a ball that Delgado should have caught and then Reyes threw his glove into the ground, in disgust)? Gosh, I hope that video gets played, over and over again, for the next 24-hours, on every sports highlight show between ESPN, FOX and you name it. The whole world needs to see how this guy is not worthy of being mentioned in the same sentence with Derek Jeter – even when Jeter is having a poor season.

Now, the big ticket: On the season, the Mets beat the Yankees four out of six times. And, one of those times that the Yankees won was a narrow 3-2 victory where they got lucky with a couple of somewhat gift runs. Yes, this same Mets team who was been playing .500 ball for the last calendar year (or longer?) pushed the Yankees around this season.

When you boil down how the Yankees have played, on the whole, this season, should we be shocked that the Mets took four of six? Or, is that just another indication that this Yankees team has some issues that need to be addressed?

Me? I’m saying no to the former and yes to the latter. How about you?

Comments on June 29th @ The Mets

1. DJ21996
      June 29th, 2008 | 5:40 pm

It just is what it is with the Mets series.

Them taking 4 of 6 doesnt mean a damn thing because..SHOCK-HORROR…you cant judge anythign baseball related by 6 games.
      Heck, the Houston Astros just took 2 of 3 against the Great team ever ever ever. Does that mean anything? No it does not.

2. June 29th, 2008 | 6:27 pm

~~~the Great team ever ever ever. ~~~

What place are they in? What’s their record?
      I think that speaks to the type of team that they are…not so much how they did against the Astros.

So. sure, ignore the Mets series. What place are the Yankees in? What’s their record? Is that good news?

3. baileywalk
      June 29th, 2008 | 6:57 pm

I definitely think it’s sound to judge a player — positively or negatively — based on his debut performance in the big leagues.

4. DJ21996
      June 29th, 2008 | 7:42 pm

What place are the Yankees in? Whats their record? You say.

Well since Alex came back we are 11 games over .500. Now everyone will talk about playing NL teams but one of those NL teams that we feasted on just took 2 of 3 against Boston. Thats proves that all teams can beat anyone on their day and no win should be mocked or tossed away as a cheap one.

The Yankees, at least this version, are a 2nd half team. We are right there in striking distance of the leaders in the A.L and The next month will show you that this team is a contender.

If you would have told me that 60% of the opening day rotation would get injured.
      If Hughes and Kennedy would have no wins.
      If Alex and Posada would miss big chunks of the 1st half.
      I would have gladly taken 44-38 at this stage.

Oh and Steve. Its nearly time for you to start preparing that sign about your Giambi prediction. Make sure that it sparkles :)

5. June 29th, 2008 | 8:02 pm

~~The Yankees, at least this version, are a 2nd half team. ~~

How do we know that? The 2nd half of 2008 hasn’t been played yet.

And, LOL, no sweat on that Giambi photo – I’ll be doing that one with pleasure. I love it when I’m wrong..if that means good things for the Yanks.

6. OnceIWasAYankeeFan
      June 29th, 2008 | 9:45 pm

___________________________________

I’m going to guess that this is facetious but I’ll repeat what I tried to say in the original post about his call up.

What makes anyone think that David Robertson is equipped to pitch the eighth inning, let alone dominate it like Joba did?

I saw a totally straight fastball that occasionally peaked at 91 – which is exactly what I read in the paper. I’ve heard his curve is his best pitch, and he broke off a couple nice ones in his second inning. But really – do you want a guy who has to have perfect command of his fastball pitching critical high-lev innings? How did that work so far for Kennedy? And not only was that fastball straight and with very average speed, it had no “late life” like Hughes is supposed to have.

Its beyond me how anyone would feel safe with this guy, based on the stuff he showed. It took him three or four tries before he got a swing and miss from the pitcher for heaven’s sake!

You know when Hansen and Delcarmen started pitching in Boston, it was often hard to watch – but you could see glimpses of the ability that got them there. You saw the upper 90s fastball that got swings and misses, and nasty breaking stuff. Yeah, it got hammered sometime (OK, often) but there was a glimpse of potential. And Delcarmen had an excellent year last year and aside from a few hiccups, continued that this year, while Hansen may be more up and down, he’s a lot closer to the “dominating” guy we thought we drafted than he was in his first go-round.

I don’t see any reason other than bad hitters for Robertson to have done so well, strikeout rate wise, at SWB. Unless he pitched differently there, like throwing the curveball a lot more often. Because that fastball screams “hit me”. And I expect major leaguers to do that – a lot.

7. June 29th, 2008 | 10:20 pm

FWIW, on Robertson, I said Olson-Anderson (as the book ends) because that’s what I saw…in terms of what he could be…one way or the other. But, it reality, that’s an incredibly tough spot to lose your big league cherry…packed house, as a Yankee, at Shea Stadium. You have to think there were some nerves in play there. Shoot, his heart was probably pounding like crazy.

I think you have to give the kid some more looks to determine better how his stuff will play.

8. OnceIWasAYankeeFan
      June 29th, 2008 | 11:48 pm

The thing is though, Steve, that a pounding heart might effect command but it shouldn’t make much of an impact on the speed or movement of his fastball, which was as reported in the Sunday papers – topping out around 91 (if anything, nerves might lead to overthrowing the fastball, but I doubt that its consistently 90 or below otherwise). They didn’t mention if its usually straight as can be, but that’s how it was. Does he throw a cutter or a change or something else? I’d assume so but it didn’t look like he threw something else today. Even with Edwar, when he struggled last year, there was a sense of a someone who might develop. You could see a pretty decent fastball to set up the change. With Delcarmen, you could see the very hard fastball and tight curve.

Here I see a guy whose fastball should get hit hard. Seems to me the scouting report will be to sit on it til one catches too much of the plate. And the other thing is, if he has to command that fastball just to survive (and set up his curve), that’s a recipe for disaster in a short-reliever. That’s asking Rasner or Kennedy to pitch the eighth, when a mistake can go a long way AND kill the team’s chances.

At least Farnsworth and a guy like Hansen have the proverbial “puncher’s chance” – they’re going to throw it hard and sometimes they’re going to get it past you.

9. June 30th, 2008 | 12:01 am

Hey, guys who throw a straight 91 MPH and who also have a very good curveball – but little else – should be worshiped as saviors…right?

Oh, wait, we’re not talking about Phil Hughes here…never mind. :-)

10. June 30th, 2008 | 12:23 am

BTW, a fun piece of trivia on Robertson:

11. August 23rd, 2008 | 9:50 am

[...] know, I hate the way that Jose Reyes goes about his business on a ball field. And, I’m not the only one. If Cano’s not careful, pretty soon, the [...]