• Brett Gardner Called-Up?

Posted by on June 30th, 2008 · Comments (16)

Peter Abraham is reporting that Gardner has been called up to the big team. I recommended this move two days ago.

Thank you, Yankees, for listening.

Comments on Brett Gardner Called-Up?

1. mehmattski
      June 30th, 2008 | 10:55 am

Despite my optimism about prospects in the previous thread, Brett Gardner is not one I’m usually very optimistic about. I just see all the unworthy praise/contract money that’s been heaped upon Juan Pierre… and the unworthy media attention that no-power slap hitters like David Eckstein get… and I start to feel sick.

2. June 30th, 2008 | 11:06 am

I dunno. Brett Butler was a near Hall of Fame type player. Sometimes no power slap hitters have value…

June 30th, 2008 | 11:11 am

———–
      Most do :D

Saw Gardner play last Saturday in Buffalo. He played CF.

Yes, he is as fast as advertised. Can’t say much about his offense, as SWB were 1-hit that night…

4. OnceIWasAYankeeFan
      June 30th, 2008 | 11:12 am

A lot of people think that Jacoby Ellsbury tops out at Brett Butler – I’d say that if Gardner can reach base consistently and create havoc on the basepaths thereafter, the Yankee offense will be significantly improved. The problem though is that I don’t think there is any intention of sitting Melky – Gardner is just another body to help in the OF with Matsui out.

There’s a lot of talk that Melky looks more and more like a fourth outfielder – but does that perception penetrate in the Bronx and Tampa? If Gardner plays well, does Melky get moved in the offseason?

5. June 30th, 2008 | 11:13 am

That’s true, but their keys to success are strongly tied to their ability to take a walk. If you can’t hit the ball out of the park, your batting average is susceptible to the vagaries of BABIP, and so a slap-hitter that can’t walk has almost no value in the years when the hits don’t fall.

If Gardner can maintain a .375+ OBP through a patient approach at the plate, he can be serviceable. If just tries to get the bat on the ball, Willie Mays Hayes style, that schtick is going to get old for me real quick. Especially if Girardi bats him lead-off just because he’s speedy.

6. TurnTwo
      June 30th, 2008 | 11:16 am

“I’m not saying that Garnder will be Butler…I’m just saying that not all no power slap guys stink.”

agreed. as a little guy myself, i can appreciate the small-ball game. its not all about the big fly!

but seriously, just brings a different dimension of game we havent seen in NY in some time.

i also like the message it sends to the prospects in the organization… with results comes rewards, and playing time. what you do with you’re opportunity on the big stage is up to you, however.

i just hope he gets a fair shake from the fans if he goes 3-20 over the first week of games.

7. June 30th, 2008 | 11:17 am

For the record, what I was saying about Gardner and Ellsbury – last November:

8. TurnTwo
      June 30th, 2008 | 11:18 am

“Especially if Girardi bats him lead-off just because he’s speedy.”

i dont think he’ll bat abywhere but the 9 hole, myself. he’s perfect for the role, because he can either get himself on base and in scoring position for the bats at the top, or bunt/move runners into scoring position for Damon, Jeter, Abre, and company.

9. June 30th, 2008 | 11:18 am

~~does Melky get moved in the offseason?~~

Dunno. He adds a lot of value as a 4th OF – plus, he’s cheap.

10. TurnTwo
      June 30th, 2008 | 11:20 am

yeah, i think people need to relax with the Gardner/Ellsbury comparisons.

just let him go out and play games, and play within his own game. he’s done a pretty good job of it so far.

11. OnceIWasAYankeeFan
      June 30th, 2008 | 11:37 am

~~does Melky get moved in the offseason?~~

Dunno. He adds a lot of value as a 4th OF – plus, he’s cheap.

_____________________

The thing is that some teams value cheapness to the point that he’s a starter, and valued accordingly. Didn’t the Twins want Melky as a part of any deal for Santana?

12. TurnTwo
      June 30th, 2008 | 11:40 am

“Didn’t the Twins want Melky as a part of any deal for Santana?”

that was moreso primarily because with Huinter gone, they needed someone in return who could play the position than they viewed him that highly (but i could be wrong).

from what was reported, seemed like the Twins either wanted Phil Hughes, or who have taken Wang and IPK… all the other moving parts to potential trades were secondary.

13. June 30th, 2008 | 4:02 pm

Only two days ago? I’ve been thinking it for about a month now, mostly because of the boxscores posted at RAB.

14. Don
      June 30th, 2008 | 7:03 pm

Ellsbury as of now has an OPS+ of 94. The HoF must wait.

Gardner has improved his OBP as he has risen through the minors. He struggles early on in a new league, so it will not surprise if he struggles early on in ML ball.

This team needs to get back to what worked 1996-2001. Gardner might be part of that. Just play him, give him Melky time, that is as much a shot as Melky.

15. baileywalk
      July 1st, 2008 | 12:45 pm

We might have to consult Google on this one, but Steve may not have been the first to call for Gardner to be on the big-league team… two days ago. Um, just a guess.

July 3rd, 2008 | 11:22 am

This team needs to get back to what worked 1996-2001.
      —————
      They better get to work on the pitching staff then. Maybe shore up the defense a bit too.