• Murti, Jeter, Hanging Till The House Lights Go On

Posted by on July 16th, 2008 · Comments (16)

Sweeny Murti wraps up the All-Star game, from a Yankees perspective, early this morning – along with some reaction from A-Rod, Mo and Jeter. The video via SNY.tv:

Speaking of A-Rod and Jeter. I’ve heard that Alex Rodriguez left the ballpark before the end of the game – whereas Derek Jeter stayed on the bench, rooting and signing autographs, until the winning run was scored in the fifteen inning.

Would it have killed Alex to follow Derek’s lead on this one? Leaving early sort of implies that A-Rod feels he’s bigger than the game, no?

Comments on Murti, Jeter, Hanging Till The House Lights Go On

1. MJ
      July 16th, 2008 | 12:34 pm

In any case, the NY Times makes it seem like both A-Rod and Jeter left early:

“In any case, Jeter was gone by the time the A.L. won, 4-3, in the 15th inning, and so was Rodriguez, who was wearing white spikes for the All-Star Game, as he does every summer, to honor the Mets of the 1980s, who did the same thing.”

July 16th, 2008 | 12:37 pm

Leaving early sort of implies that A-Rod feels he’s bigger than the game, no?
      ————
      Maybe he had a Kabbalah meeting? :D

3. K.V.C
      July 16th, 2008 | 12:41 pm

Surprise at A-Rod leaving? Why, he never has been a team player, just a me player.

Ten more years of A-Rod….what a waste.

July 16th, 2008 | 12:42 pm

————
      Can’t spell ‘team’ without ‘m’ ‘e’ :)

5. MJ
      July 16th, 2008 | 12:45 pm

Ten more years of A-Rod….what a waste.
      ————————————
      This ridiculous crap again? What more can A-Rod do to win you people over? One guy can’t win you a World Series so quit holding it against him that Jeter, Posada, Matsui, Giambi, Sheffield, Vazquez, Brown, Wang, Clemens, Wright, Johnson, Gordon, and countless others have failed spectacularly since Game 4 of the 2004 ALCS.

6. July 16th, 2008 | 12:52 pm

~~Was Jeter still on the bench in the 15th inning? I kept on trying to find him with my binoculars but I just couldn’t tell if he was still there.~~

Without question Jeter was there until the end. He had a pull-over on. And, he was one of the first on the field, hugging Michael Young (IIRC) when the game ended. If you see the replays of the game ending play, you cannot miss Jeter being there, celebrating, on the field.

7. sgager
      July 16th, 2008 | 12:56 pm

Look at the picture of the post game handshake line on the MLB page of ESPN Jeter is clearly visible wearing his Yankee windbreaker.

8. MJ
      July 16th, 2008 | 1:01 pm

————————————-
      Yep, just saw him. Cool!

9. BleacherCreature
      July 16th, 2008 | 2:39 pm

It seems like A-Rod just doesn’t get it..

10. MJ
      July 16th, 2008 | 3:47 pm

It seems like A-Rod just doesn’t get it..
      ———————————–
      Get what? Not every single player can live up to the ridiculously high (and hypocritical) standards of Joe Fan.

11. July 16th, 2008 | 3:48 pm

>> “In any case, Jeter was gone by the time the A.L. won, 4-3, in the 15th inning, >>

Wow, that’s just bad journalism. As Steve said, Jeter was out on the field to give Michael Young a hug when he hit the sac fly to win the game…

I also saw Mo walk by in the background behind Francona sometime around the 11th, but Alex apparently had better things to do..

Sigh, I really *want* to love the guy.

12. Rich M
      July 16th, 2008 | 4:51 pm

I dont see the big deal. It’s not like he was the only one to leave after coming out of the game. Manny, Ortiz, and Paplebon all left, where is the outrage about them. According to some reports they didn’t even stop to talk to reporters before they left. At least Alex did that.
      Also the last time I checked it is an exibition game and is treated as such by the players and the league. there is no rule about leaving early and reporters are allowed in the clubhouse during the games to get player reactions before they take off.

13. K.V.C
      July 16th, 2008 | 6:49 pm

MJ – You right I doubt A-Rod can/will ever win me over. The only thing he has EVER done for the team, and not for himself, was agreeing to play third base. (Which was really for Himself, because it got him out of Texas)

I’ll even admit it’s more of his attitude and personality more so than his “failures” on the field. I just happen to think he is a d*ck.

14. Don
      July 16th, 2008 | 6:49 pm

I saw Jeter at the end, coming off the bench and congratulating the players on the field. The NY Times owes Jeter an apology.

And K.V.C. it is nine more years, not ten. LOL

15. July 16th, 2008 | 11:39 pm

>> It’s not like he was the only one to leave after coming out of the game. >>

Yes, but he’s only one of three Yankees to play in the last All-Star game ever ever ever EVER at this stadium. Jeter, at least, looked like he appreciated that fact.

16. February 7th, 2009 | 10:08 pm

[...] July 2008: A-Rod leaves Yankee Stadium before the completion of the 2008 All-Star game – and catches some heat for not sticking around. [...]