• The Posada Puzzle

Posted by on July 23rd, 2008 · Comments (8)

Via George King -

Jorge Posada and the Yankees confirmed what was reported in today’s Post: The All Star catcher needs right shoulder surgery that will require six months to recover from but wants to see if two weeks of rest will allow him to help as a DH/first baseman.

“I have 15 days to make a decision and there’s no reason not to take the full 15. It’s worse now than it was and that’s the concern,” Posada said today. “It’s a labrum, that much we know. It doesn’t hurt when I hit, but it is restrictive, especially left handed because that’s my lead hand.”

Posada is willing to miss the start of next season in order to contribute this year despite not being able to catch.

“When I have the surgery it’ll be six months. So if I can come back this year and play, it means I’ll miss the first part of next year,” Posada said. “That would be my preference. Right now, I know I can’t catch. And right now this is nothing to do with me any more, it’s about what’s best for the team. I’m just hopeful at the end of the two weeks I’ll be in a position where I can play.”

A blog item on the Journal News (Westchester) web site as well as LoHud.com that accused Yankees president Randy Levine of forcing Posada to play in order to get something back on the four-year, $52.4 million investment was scoffed at by Levine.

“It’s a silly story,” Levine said. “(The writer) should have called me first then he would have known it was nonsense. We make our decisions on medical reports.”

…It’s worse now than it was and that’s the concern…

…When I have the surgery it’ll be six months. So if I can come back this year and play, it means I’ll miss the first part of next year. That would be my preference…

Is it just me, or, is this crazy? It hasn’t gotten better for Jorge – just worse – by his own words. So, why try and play this year? What’s so important about this season that he’s willing to punt part of next season? The Yankee have basically played most of the year without him. What’s another two months?

Randy Levine can say what he wants…but, it seems like something (or someone) is pushing Posada to try and play this season…when it makes no sense (based on his lack of progress) and it would also then spill into next season too. This is all very strange…

Comments on The Posada Puzzle

1. July 24th, 2008 | 12:40 am

Maybe Jorge is just saying this now so that the Yankees don’t look too desperate as they search for another bat? It really doesn’t make sense for him to continue and if he does, what does that say about their investment? Jorge is signed well beyond this year and I would think that they would want him to have surgery as soon as possible.

2. Don
      July 24th, 2008 | 3:30 am

Just part and parcel of the problem in giving an aging catcher a four(!) year deal – that no other team would have offered. Posada turns 37 in a few weeks. Can somebody say *decline*?

The Yankees are so stupid with their contracts. So very stupid.

3. MJ
      July 24th, 2008 | 9:53 am

First, if Randy Levine is pulling the strings, he should be fired immediately for being a complete idiot. Posada should’ve been operated on YESTERDAY.

Second, as much as the prospect of losing Posada in the offseason would’ve put a damper on the season, those two draft picks would be looking pretty nice right now. Three more years of this does not seem like a great idea.

4. July 24th, 2008 | 10:04 am

I can’t fault the Yankees for signing Posada last winter. What other choice did they have?

I thought that the last year of the deal would be one that they would have to eat – and that’s it.

Maybe things will be different now, assuming they can fix his wing, since this season would basically be no wear and tear on his knees, etc.?

Maybe missing 2008 means the next three years will be pretty good? Then again, this assumes they can fix his shoulder.

July 24th, 2008 | 10:37 am

—————
      If they offered 3, they’d still be in the same position.

No one could’ve predicted this injury.

6. MJ
      July 24th, 2008 | 10:55 am

No one could’ve predicted this injury.
      ————————————-
      I gotta say, I find that hard to believe. Can you destroy your entire shoulder from one bad throw on Opening Day? I suppose they gave him a physical before he signed his new contract but maybe they were willing to look the other way on what was probably an ugly X-ray/MRI. I can’t imagine that he went from healthy to damaged goods on one single, solitary throw on the first day of the season.

July 24th, 2008 | 11:31 am

Can you destroy your entire shoulder from one bad throw?
      —————
      Sure, why not? Brien Taylor blew out his shoulder throwing a punch. Posada’s shoulder hasn’t been right since ST, he may have made it worse trying to play through it. Maybe the organization ignored some warning signs; if that’s the case then it’s on them.

8. ken
      July 25th, 2008 | 2:59 pm

Take this one step back from last winter’s Posada signing: As I recall, Posada (and Mariano) went into spring training in ’07 on the last year of their contracts. Yanks could have but did not negotiate extensions at that time. In all likelihood, Posada would have signed a three year deal, so he would now be in year 2. Wouldn’t be looking as bad as it now does.