• July 2008 Survey Question #6

Posted by on July 24th, 2008 · Comments (7)

George King of the Post is reporting that the Dodgers have an interest in Robinson Cano and might be willing to deal Derek Lowe and outfielder Matt Kemp for him.

Related, please consider taking the following poll:

{democracy:17}

Thanks in advance. And, please feel free to add comments on your opinion in the comments section below.

Comments on July 2008 Survey Question #6

1. MJ
      July 24th, 2008 | 9:56 am

Since Derek Lowe and Matt Kemp don’t guarantee anything for this year (or beyond), I don’t see the purpose in trading one of the better young 2B in baseball. Cano’s 1st halves are maddening but when he’s on, MY GOODNESS, he’s on. And since I value offense (and defense) at 2B as more important than a hittable old man and a corner outfielder, I don’t see any reason to make this trade.

2. TurnTwo
      July 24th, 2008 | 10:24 am

i wonder if they would be amenable to Loney and Lowe instead of Kemp and Lowe. Loney seems like more of a sure thing than Kemp, even though Kemp has perhaps a higher upside.

and Loney could anchor 1B with a nice solid stick and slick defense on the cheap for the next 5 years, minimum.

3. TurnTwo
      July 24th, 2008 | 10:28 am

i’d add to this, as the reporter mentions in the article, the Yankees would move Cano if a front of the rotation type arm comes back.

why not try to expand the deal a little, send Cano, Kennedy and a prospect west for Billingsley and Kemp?

July 24th, 2008 | 10:43 am

—————-
      Better the devils you know (guys in the system), than the devils you don’t.

I’ll hold on to Cano, in the hopes that he figures out how to hit in the first half.

I’ll have to admit, given the way things have developed since 2004, I am surprised the Yanks have done as well as they have despite having a patchwork pitching staff. Even this year, I would say they’re exceeding expectations.

5. MJ
      July 24th, 2008 | 10:50 am

Loney seems like more of a sure thing than Kemp
      ———————————-
      Beauty is in the eye of the beholder. Two years ago, I would’ve agreed. Now I’m not so sure. Loney looks like crap this year.

6. Rich M
      July 24th, 2008 | 11:54 am

Who replaces Cano’s offense? you replace Gardner with Loney which is good but you replace Cano with… maybe Alberto Gonzalez? At least Gardner can work a walk maybe steal a base.

7. jmeisner
      July 24th, 2008 | 5:44 pm

If Matt Kemp were a second baseman, then yes, I would accept the trade. However, as Rich points out, we have no one to replace Cano’s offense who is also capable of playing second base.