• Yanks Package In Nady/Marte Revised

Posted by on July 26th, 2008 · Comments (9)

About 20 minutes ago, I had just sat down with with a nice glass of Diet Coke on ice along with one of my favorite “at home” lunches – some cold turkey meatballs, a slice of swiss cheese, and sliced tomatoes on a reduced-carb bagel – and then I saw a report on ESPN News that said the Yankees were sending Dan McCutchen and Jeff Karstens to the Pirates, along with Jose Tabata and Ross Ohlendorf, and not Phil Coke and George Kontos (for Xavier Nady & Damaso Marte).

My reaction? Whoa! (I screamed, out-loud.)

When I said that, my wife (who was making some lunch for the kids) spun around and said “What happened?” So, I told her that that there was an update as to what the Yankees had given up in their recent trade. (I won’t tell you what she then said to me…but, it wasn’t “Oh, now I see why you have such a legit reason to scream out-loud.”)

So, does this change my opinion on the trade? Well, since I’ve finished my lunch, been given a verbal reality slap by my wife, and had a few minutes to think about it…nah, not all that much.

I guess you can say that Jeff Karstens and Phil Coke are a push. Both will probably have some form of a major league career. And, they could be useful to a big league team in some capacity. But, neither one of them will ever be an All-Star, etc.

Now, getting Dan McCutchen, instead of George Kontos, is a better deal for the Pirates. Sure, McCutchen is older than Kontos. But, he’s closer to being major league ready and probably has a better attitude than Kontos. That said, it’s not a monster windfall for the Bucs to get McCutchen over Kontos…it’s just a somewhat better deal for them.

On the whole, I’m still fine with this deal – even if it’s Dan McCutchen and Jeff Karstens being part of the package going and not Phil Coke and George Kontos.

Comments on Yanks Package In Nady/Marte Revised

1. srivinodh
      July 26th, 2008 | 1:59 pm

Haha… Steve… .laffing out loud.. when i saw that the deal was updated with new prospects, i had the same reaction. And the glare my wife gave me was something to treasure… lol

2. DJ21996
      July 26th, 2008 | 2:16 pm

Kontos has more upside than every pitcher that Yankees sent to Pittsburgh.

Being able to keep him is a big deal, IMO.

When Kontos becomes a set up man. He’ll be a mid 90′s fastball guy with a plus slider.
      Combined with the fact that he has tremendous control.

3. Don
      July 26th, 2008 | 2:23 pm

McCutcheon is 26, has no future with the Yankees, and is overrated by the younger set who follow the minors.

July 26th, 2008 | 2:58 pm

Scary flyball guy is gone, good enough for me :)

5. JeremyM
      July 26th, 2008 | 7:29 pm

I agree Raf, I wish Karstens well but I lived in constant fear that the Yanks would call him up again:)

6. Joel
      July 26th, 2008 | 10:24 pm

I just heard the frustration in Buster Olney’s voice on “Baseball Tonight” when talking about the trade.

A very good day for the Yanks.

7. July 26th, 2008 | 10:34 pm

LOL srivinodh – glad I wasn’t the only one!

8. July 27th, 2008 | 5:37 am

If Kontos becomes a solid setup man, I would still think this is a great deal. To be honest, setup men and solid relievers grow on trees. While the Yankees would have you think otherwise for the past few years (thanks in part to inept bullpen management and a poor farm system), relievers can be had for cheap and are everywhere. It’s up to guys like Joe Girardi to figure out how to best utilize them. So if Kontos is a setup man, who cares? The Yankees have plenty of arms to make up for it.

9. July 27th, 2008 | 5:38 am

Oh, and I’m speaking hypothetically (as if Kontos was traded).