• Yanks Flock To Cooperstown For Goose

Posted by on July 28th, 2008 · Comments (6)

The Yankees did a good job of showing up at Cooperstown for Rich Gossage yesterday.

Via Bill Madden -

Among the Yankee alumni on hand: Graig Nettles, Ron Guidry, Pat Kelly, Gene Michael, Jim Beattie, Roy White and Mickey Rivers. White, who has been fired three times as a Yankee coach, said he will not be coming to Old-Timers’ Day Saturday, even though it is an easy commute from his home in Toms River, N.J. “I’ve just had enough,” he said of his Yankee disses.

According to the Times Union, Sparky Lyle and David Cone were there too. (Yanks GM Brian Cashman, COO Lonn Trost and senior VP Jennifer Steinbrenner Swindal also made the trip.)

Betcha when Mariano and Jeter get their day at Cooperstown there will be lots of former teammates there as well. But, I’m not sure that you’ll see the same when A-Rod gets in.

It’s too bad that Roy White feels the way that he does about the Yankees. It’s costing him money – for sure. I have to imagine that the Yankees would be willing to have him “host” some games in luxury boxes. He’s done it in the past – ditto guys like Oscar Gamble and Jim Leyritz. Hey, it’s easy money to sit there for three hours, sign autographs, and tell Yankees stories.

White’s place in Yankees history is right up there with guys like Mattingly and Murcer. From 1968 through 1976, White was one of the Yankees best players. In a way, he was the Bernie Williams of his time. (Bernie, are you paying attention to where White’s relationship with the Yankees is now?)

Comments on Yanks Flock To Cooperstown For Goose

July 28th, 2008 | 10:34 am

What, no mention of me? :D

~~It’s too bad that Roy White feels the way that he does about the Yankees. It’s costing him money – for sure.~~

““I’ve just had enough,” he said of his Yankee disses.” That tells me it’s not about the money.

2. July 28th, 2008 | 10:35 am

Raf – were you there? How was it?

July 28th, 2008 | 11:10 am

Raf – were you there? How was it?
      ————
      The weather was absolutely beautiful. I was a bit worried because I got caught in a major storm around Albany.

I arrived a bit late, I got there in time for the “Seventh Inning Stretch” where Johnny Bench did a pretty good imitation of Harry Caray. He and Ernie Banks sung Take Me Out to the Ballgame together. Normally, Stan Musial plays his harmonica, but he didn’t make the trip.

After the “stretch,” the inductees gave their speeches. I had gotten a greater appreciation of the roles Kuhn & O’Malley had in the game. Kuhn’s stepson gave his induction speech. While Kuhn may have run afoul of the owners and players on more than one occasion, I have a greater appreciation of him as a human being (a side all too forgotten, IMO when it comes to the game). Didn’t realize he was such a religious man, which would explain some of his stances on drugs, gambling, and the like. Would also explain why he wanted Bouton to retract Ball Four.

After doing some research on O’Malley last winter, I had started to come around on his role in the game, and after hearing his family on the podium, I can say I’ve come around. Hopefully, the portrayal of him will become more even handed, at least around here (I don’t know how he’s portrayed in LA).

I don’t remember much about DeWitt’s speech (on behalf of Southworth, Cards manager), or the Dreyfuss family (on behalf of Barney Dreyfuss, Pirates owner). Dick Williams kinda rambled on, losing his notes a couple of times.

Goose appeared to lose his notes a couple of times too. He was appreciative of all who supported him in his career. Didn’t know he was almost released out of the White Sox system. He mentioned that Dick Allen was the best player he ever played with.

He and Williams stumped for Steinbrenner, FWIW. I don’t know what the criteria is for owners, but I can’t see Steinbrenner not getting in. Much was made of the success of the Dodgers and Pirates when O’Malley & Dreyfuss owned them, so it’s only natural that Steinbrenner would get in based on the success of the Yanks.

4. July 28th, 2008 | 1:57 pm

Sounds like a great day. You’ve gone in the past, too, no? How did this day compare to other times – in terms of the fun, crowds, traffic, etc.?

July 28th, 2008 | 2:54 pm

There is more fun, crowds, traffic, etc during induction time than any other time. I’ve been there at other times during the year.

Regarding traffic and the like, lot depends on who’s inducted; I was there for the ’99 ceremonies, and it was just bonkers with all the people there. 05, there were a lot of people but not as much as ’99.

But I’ve never had a problem with traffic. Actually, this year, I parked in town which was pretty lucky on my part. Usually, I park in the lots, and pay to use the trolley ($5 this year), to save myself the hassle.

You get great deals on stuff with the merchants; they usually have tables out front of their store. I don’t know if you remember the time-life baseball book series they had in the late 80′s, but I saw a set available there.

Obviously, you have stars and lesser lights around, signing autographs and the like at tabling events.

Haven’t had a bad day yet with regards to the weather.

With the little ones, it could shape to be a long day. But, the ceremonies take place on a big field, there is more than enough space for them to run around. Off in the distance, there is a jungle gym that should also keep them entertained. Food and drink ($3 hot dogs & $3 sodas, and ice cream) are also available at the field. It isn’t uncommon for people to have a game of catch, and more often than not, impromptu wiffleball games happen.

Induction ceremonies can run for a couple of hours (inductees get 10 minutes for their speeches), so be prepared for that.

Hopefully, I’ll be able to make it back next year; Rickey should be getting the call. THAT should be an interesting speech :)

6. July 28th, 2008 | 5:00 pm

Thanks Raf. I’m looking forward to Rickey too. I’m sure he’ll drop a few third person references.