• Kyle Farnsworth Traded For Ivan Rodriguez

Posted by on July 30th, 2008 · Comments (13)

Via the AP -

The Detroit Tigers have traded veteran catcher Ivan Rodriguez to the New York Yankees for hard-throwing reliever Kyle Farnsworth.

Rodriguez, a 14-time All-Star in the option year of a $50 million deal he signed with the Tigers in Feb. 2004, will step into the hole in the Yankees’ lineup created by Jorge Posada’s shoulder injury.

Posada had arthroscopic surgery on his right shoulder Wednesday. The rehab time is about six months.

The 36-year-old Rodriguez, who has won the Gold Glove award 13 times, was hitting .295 with five homers in 82 games this season.

This tells me that the Yankees are concerned about their lack of offense. Granted, Pudge has not been a good offensive player since he stopped using, er, I mean since he lost weight. But, he’s still a better hitter than Jose Molina.

This is an interesting call by Cashman. The pitchers seem as if they like throwing to Molina. And, we know that Rasner likes throwing to Moeller. And, who replaces Farnsworth now? Does this mean that Brian Bruney is coming back?

It will be interesting to hear what all sides have to say on this one in the coming hours.

Comments on Kyle Farnsworth Traded For Ivan Rodriguez

1. unfrozencavemanyankee
      July 30th, 2008 | 5:27 pm

“Granted, Pudge has not been a good offensive player since he stopped using”

Not a good offensive player? Excuse me? The guy’s hitting .295. Last year he hit .280. True he doesn’t hit for power any longer but so what? He’s also a superior defensive player and a clubhouse leader. I find your muted reaction strange. This is a terrific deal, almost too good to be true. All of a sudden we are supposed to mourn over Farnsworth, a guy no one on this site liked?

2. hopbitters
      July 30th, 2008 | 6:05 pm

Pudge’s OPS+ for the last 4 seasons : 94, 97, 85, 101. That’s nothing to write home about, but it’s still a major upgrade from Molina’s 70, 65, 61, 58. Farns really hasn’t been that bad this year, but I think the pen will get by without him. I don’t see this as a bad deal.

3. Joel
      July 30th, 2008 | 6:06 pm

Marte, Nady, and now Pudge–all in our “transition year.”

That makes four first ballot hall of famers on this team.

It’s great to be Yankee fan.

July 30th, 2008 | 6:09 pm

just got back from the game… what a pleasant suprise!

5. antone
      July 30th, 2008 | 6:33 pm

I think we should be looking at this trade as part of the other trade in the sense that Nady/Pudge is a lot better than Gardner/Christian/Molina/Moeller.

You would think that would make the Yankees offense at least a little more consistent.

6. Corey
      July 30th, 2008 | 6:39 pm

i would have given him away for free (he hasn’t been THAT good this year?), the fact that we got a good backstop for him is cake

7. OnceIWasAYankeeFan
      July 30th, 2008 | 7:18 pm

Does anyone know what Pudge’s caught stealing rate is? It has to be a drop from Molina since he was the league leader, but how much exactly? As for his offense, his OBP in particular has been awful. .290 is a big jump over the other catchers, and that’s the big difference – its one more competent bat at the end of the lineup.

8. July 30th, 2008 | 8:21 pm

~~Not a good offensive player? Excuse me? The guy’s hitting .295. Last year he hit .280.~~

Batting average doesn’t paint the full picture. FWIW, I’ll have some analysis up on Pudge later today.

9. GatorGossage
      July 30th, 2008 | 8:49 pm

According to Cashman, the trade was entirely Detroit’s idea. They called him up and presented the deal.

I think it’s a no-brainer. The upgrade at catcher more than makes up for the loss of Farnsworth from the bullpen.

10. JeremyM
      July 30th, 2008 | 9:03 pm

I don’t see we can’t do anything but love this deal. Great move. And he flipped Hawkins for a potentially useful 2B prospect just a little bit ago, another solid move.

11. Corey
      July 30th, 2008 | 10:50 pm

pete abe is reporting farnsworth cried…kinda sad…wonder if farnsworth would like the fact that everyone knew he cried since hes such a tough guy and all

12. July 31st, 2008 | 6:22 am

I saw the YES footage – and he did cry. That tells me that Kyle liked being here, being part of this team, and playing for Girardi. Gotta respect that, no?

July 31st, 2008 | 8:09 am

————
      Meh… He can always come back as a FA. Next time he’ll just have to add a NTC :)