• Manny Leaving Sox?

Posted by on July 30th, 2008 · Comments (10)

According to Will Carroll, the Red Sox are going to trade Manny Ramirez, two prospects, and a ton of cash, to acquire Jason Bay and John Grabow.

Jason Bay is a useful hitter – in a right-handed Hideki Matsui kind of way. But, he’s no Manny Ramirez. Grabow? Just another average LOOGY.

As a Yankees fan, you have to be happy to see Ramirez leaving both Boston and the league…right?

Comments on Manny Leaving Sox?

1. straylightrise
      July 31st, 2008 | 1:22 am

This is a BAD move for the Red Soxs. Basically because of his attitude off the field and knowing they won’t be able to resign him to a lower cost deal the BoSoxs are creating a hole in the lineup Jason Bay won’t fill. Manny Ramirez is a GREAT offensive player – defensively he’s a liability and his work ethic is crap. Having Manny in the lineup when Ortiz went down is how the Red Soxs stayed afloat in the AL East race. If the BoSox do trade him they are losing an offensive star.

The Yankees and Rays will benefit greatly from Ramirez’s departure.

2. antone
      July 31st, 2008 | 8:17 am

Do we really think Manny wants to leave Boston so bad that he would accept a trade to Pittsburgh? I would be shocked if that happens. Florida maybe but that trade doesn’t really help the Red Sox this year.

It’s Boston’s fault they are in this situation to begin with because they’ve let Manny get away with all his crap since Day 1. If they had put him in line from the beginning then maybe he wouldn’t pull all the crap he does now. I can’t really blame him because he has been doing it all along and they haven’t stopped him. Doesn’t make him a good teammate but I still think the Red Sox should have done something from the start.

3. July 31st, 2008 | 8:38 am

~~Do we really think Manny wants to leave Boston so bad that he would accept a trade to Pittsburgh?~~

It would be a three-team deal – where Manny goes to FLA.

4. antone
      July 31st, 2008 | 8:56 am

Sorry I guess I missed that development last night. Someone here at work just told me.

5. OnceIWasAYankeeFan
      July 31st, 2008 | 10:24 am

Number one, Manny’s work ethic is as far from “crap” as it is possible to be. The man goes to the park at 10 AM to work on his hitting. He does it again in the afternoon. His work ethic isn’t his problem, because he’s not the so-called “hitting savant” that people have labeled him. He works very hard at the game, both offensively and defensively.

What is severely lacking is his professionalism and any sense of personal integrity. That is, the way he checks out on his teammates, dogs it down the line and the assorted other transgressions show that he has no professionalism whatsoever.

As for personal integrity – he signed a contract and should play it out. I have no idea what changed between two months ago when Manny was “what me worry?” and now. But the team has two option years, which must be picked up or declined in the middle of November. He presumes they won’t pick up the option, he acts out. And this time he has acted out in a way that is so far out of line its ridiculous.

Imagine if A-Rod, in a contract year in which the team had an option year to pick up, had started to wail and moan about ownership, and dogged it on the field and took himself out of the lineup with the Red Sox in town. Would you want to keep him any longer?

Look, it will kill me if the Sox fade away this season – but the ultimate reason won’t be Manny’s departure. There are plenty of other warning signs (Ellsbury’s growing pains, Tek’s rapid aging and decline, the bullpen coming back to earth from last year’s brilliance). Jason Bay has very similar numbers to Manny this year. For that matter, he’s a helluva better hitter than Nady – he’d be the best hitter swapped this season. He also doesn’t knock us out of the Teixeira sweepstakes (whereas, I believe that if they pried Holliday from Colorado, they’d be stuck with him and unless they moved Youk there’d be no place for Teix to play).

for those reasons, I am more than ready to bid adieu to someone I’ve lost all respect for in the past week.

6. shaked
      July 31st, 2008 | 12:08 pm

Uhh, I’m pretty sure Manny would be the best hitter swapped this season.

7. MJ
      July 31st, 2008 | 1:12 pm

For that matter, he’s a helluva better hitter than Nady – he’d be the best hitter swapped this season. He also doesn’t knock us out of the Teixeira sweepstakes…
      ———————————-
      Redsox boy, you mentioned Teixeira in your comment but still considered Bay to be “the best hitter swapped this season”? I find that amazing. Manny and Teixeira are both better than Bay. But you go right ahead and talk yourself into the Bay era in Boston. Have fun watching Ortiz get IBB’ed all day long…

8. MJ
      July 31st, 2008 | 1:15 pm

——————————
      Yet you excused “Manny being Manny” for years without a peep? Typical Boston nonsense at play here. When it looks like they’re on the way out, the cheap shots and hack-job articles pop up everywhere. Nomar, Pedro, Damon…

By this time next year, Bostonians will have forgotten Schilling and labeled him a punk. I guarantee it.

9. OnceIWasAYankeeFan
      July 31st, 2008 | 1:45 pm

OK, so I was stupid about Bay. How about “best Pittsburgh bat traded”? That’s clearly the case given Nady’s career up until this season.

As for “typical Boston nonsense” – that’s a crock. I am ticked off at Manny because of his own cheap shots against the team and his unwillingness to give remotely close to maximum effort. He’s tossing his teammates over the rail, too – do you think they are hoping he stays? He has as little support in the clubhouse as he has ever had through all of his shenanigans.

And tell me you wouldn’t be sick of A-Rod and wish him gone if he did what Manny has done – rip ownership & quit on the team, because his option hasn’t been picked up.

10. July 31st, 2008 | 2:13 pm

Guys, let’s respect everyone’s right to an opinion – and agree to disagree, if needed.

And, please, let’s not name-call. Thanks.