• Same Ol’ Cashman

Posted by on August 1st, 2008 · Comments (24)

In conjunction with the recent trades made by the Yankees, I see many fans of the team now dusting off their “Ca$h-money is a genius!” T-shirts and the like…

Maybe they shouldn’t be so fast here? Let’s look at what Brian Cashman has done, recently, with the Yankees roster:

Richie Sexson replaces the role that was supposed to be filled by Morgan Ensberg and/or Shelley Duncan

Xavier Nady replaces Hideki Matsui
    (It should be noted that Nady replaced Brett Gardner who replaced Johnny Damon who replaced Matsui. And, since Damon is still playing now as a D.H., and Gardner was only here for a few games, in the end, it’s really Nady filling in now for the injured Matsui.)

Damaso Marte replaces Kyle Farnsworth
    (Some like to suggest that Marte has replaced LaTroy Hawkins. But, when you look at roles, Chris Britton is now the new Hawkins and Marte is the new Farnsworth.)

Ivan Rodriguez replaces Jose Molina (with the latter replacing Chad Moeller)

In summary, Cashman has replaced the bat that was missing due to the injury to Godzilla and has upgraded his catching position with respect to the offense generated from that spot. Marte for Farnsworth and Sexson as a new right-handed bat off the bench is sort of a push.

Cashman did little to address the Yankees true need – meaning replacing Sidney Ponson in the starting rotation. The combination of Posnon and Darrell Rasner, as starters, is the Yankees weak link right now. You can live with Rasner if you had a decent fourth starter (to go with Pettitte, Chamberlain and Mussina). But, when you have Ponson in the rotation, it makes having Rasner be an issue as well.

Right now, the Yankees pitching is not as good as the White Sox, Angels, or Red Sox. Heck, it’s not as good as the Blue Jays. And, that’s all because of the back-end of the Yankees starting rotation.

So, what did “Ca$h-money” do to address this issue? Like always, he tries to hide the stink of his pitching with some offensive cologne.

Now, I know that some Yankees fans out there are thinking “Cash knows what he’s doing. There’s nothing out there to replace Ponson. But, soon someone like Ian Kennedy, Phil Hughes, Alfredo Aceves, or even Carl Pavano should be able to step into the Yankees rotation and help out. And, they also recently signed Victor Zambrano and Eric Milton.”

Really?

Kennedy, Hughes, and Aceves have proven nothing, consistently, at the big league level. Pavano? Com’on, do you really want to go there? Ditto on Zambrano and Milton.

Sorry Cashman Kool-Aid Brigade, when I look at the recent changes to the Yankees roster, I see “Same ol’ Cashman” – meaning, “In Case of Fire, Add Bats.”

Until Cashman goes out and gets an effective starting pitching to replace Sidney Ponson, color me all not all that impressed with what he’s done recently.

Comments on Same Ol’ Cashman

1. seattleyank
      August 1st, 2008 | 10:11 am

Same ol’ Was Watching. Another hit job on Cashman. We get it, you don’t like him. Instead of giving him credit for making solid trades where he could, you hammer him for not getting unnamed pitchers who you assume were just out there to be snatched up. Who exactly should he have gone for? Should he have given the Mariners top prospects for Washburn? Done the same for Kyle Loshe? Or was Jake Peavy to be had for Alberto Gonzalez and Melky Cabrera and Cash turned it down?

Two really good pitchers changed teams this trading deadline. CC Sabathia, whom acquiring would’ve cost the Yankees the cream of the crop from their farm system. Seems pretty reasonable he didn’t want to pay that price given CC will be a free agent in two months. And Rich Harden, the only pitcher more injury prone than Carl Pavano, and whose velocity was down in the two starts prior to the trade, raising real concerns he was hurt again. CC’s pitching great for the Brewers right now. But if they don’t make the playoffs, then don’t you have to consider that a bad trade? Same with the Cubs if Harden hits the shelf again soon. So, again, what would you have had Cashman do?

2. August 1st, 2008 | 10:18 am

~~Same ol’ Was Watching. Another hit job on Cashman.~~

What did I write here that’s not true?

~~Instead of giving him credit for making solid trades where he could, you hammer him for not getting unnamed pitchers who you assume were just out there to be snatched up. ~~

You say that I cannot assume that those pitchers were out there. I say that you cannot assume that they were NOT out there. Perhaps, if Cashman was willing to move some higher level prospects, the Yankees could have picked up, say, a Washburn, or someone like that, who would be an upgrade on Ponson.

Dude, it’s PONSON. There has to be someone out there better than PONSON, no?

No one can say, for sure, that there was not a deal out there, to be made, can they?

3. TurnTwo
      August 1st, 2008 | 10:25 am

love it.

so you’d rather Cashman sit idly by and do nothing with the roster, than upgrade the team while giving up really nothing of true substance from the farm to do so?

why be a bad team for the sake of being bad bc you cant find a pitcher that fits?

it takes two to tango, and if the team making the pitcher available is asking for the moon, why would you then expect Cashman to do it? then you’d bash him for giving up too much for a marginal pitcher who may or may not help.

4. bfriley76
      August 1st, 2008 | 10:32 am

If Seattle wants to do a straight salary dump, and would be willing to do a one-up for him at the cost of someone like Justin Christian, I suppose it’s worth a shot – maybe. Over the last four years, Washburn has pitched some decent games at Yankee Stadium. But, there’s no way that I would give up anything close to having some value to pick up Jarrod Washburn.

=====
      That’s from just a little over a week ago. What’s changed between then and now Steve. Oh right…another opportunity to bash Cashman has come up.

5. BaltimoreYankee
      August 1st, 2008 | 10:45 am

Steve, it is true that “The combination of Ponson and Darrell Rasner…is the Yankees weak link right now”. However, the bottom of the batting order was just as bad a weak link a few weeks ago with Melky, Molina and Gardner. Replacing two of those bats with Ivan Rodriguez and Xavier Nady was an excellent fix. I too would have liked another starting pitcher but you can’t always address every need.

6. August 1st, 2008 | 10:45 am

August 1st, 2008 | 10:47 am

Dude, it’s PONSON. There has to be someone out there better than PONSON, no?
      ————
      You said it yourself; “But, soon someone like Ian Kennedy, Phil Hughes, Alfredo Aceves, or even Carl Pavano should be able to step into the Yankees rotation and help out. And, they also recently signed Victor Zambrano and Eric Milton.”

I don’t expect to see Zambrano or Milton anytime soon. The other guys mentioned, will get a shot. Unfortunately, that means Pavano too, but may as well give him a shot, seeing as he’s still on the roster. You already have in-house replacements for Ponson, I don’t know why you’re itching for Washburn all of a sudden.

WRT Washburn, seems that the M’s were asking too much for him. I’d rather Cashman stand pat than cave into the M’s demands.

8. August 1st, 2008 | 10:48 am

~~What’s changed between then and now Steve.~~

Reports that say Washburn has rediscovered his change-up and that prevents hitters from sitting on his fastball. And, the stats do back up that he’s pitching better now.

9. August 1st, 2008 | 10:51 am

~~It’s funny, because you say here that the Yankees’ biggest need is pitching, but in multiple game posts this season, you’ve blamed the offense for the Yankees’ problems. You use phrases like “forget all the runs the Yankees gave up,” and such, and harp on the inability of the offense to score off “good pitchers.” Well, the Yankees improved their offensive personnel this month, and they don’t get any credit for that? None?~~

The improved offense is not all that much improved. Nady replaces, not improves, over Matsui. And, I-Rod is an improvement over Molina. But, he’s not a great hitter.

Still, the improvement will help…when Pettitte, Mussina and Wang are pitching…and the Yankees did need more offense to support those guys.

But, there’s not enough offense in the world to support Ponson…

10. August 1st, 2008 | 10:56 am

Steve,

Given what was available in the market, what would you have liked Cashman to do?

Once Harden and Sabathia were traded, the market was pretty weak.

Would Washburn be an upgrade on Pontoon – sure, but at what cost?

Seems the deal was either Washburn for a useless player with the Yankees paying the freight or Washburn for a possibly useful player and Seattle picking up the check.

Seattle apparently decided that that wasn’t good enough and wanted a useful player and have the Yankees pay all the money involved.

Sometimes, the best trades are the ones you don’t panic and make.

Were this year’s moves earth shattering? No. But they improved the team at a reasonable cost. Seems to me that’s what a chief executive should do – improve his organization without blowing the budget.

Cashman seems to have done this to aplomb this season.

11. bfriley76
      August 1st, 2008 | 11:03 am

~~What’s changed between then and now Steve.~~

====

I agree that Washburn has pitched well recently. Probably since his second start in June, but that was the case well before the post I cited above. You’re changing your tune now because it suits your purpose…that purpose being you like bashing Cashman.

I agree with you Steve…I’d feel a lot better with this trade deadline if we picked up a pitcher, but Cashman did well. He made significant moves that improved the team and he didn’t give up very much at all. Chances are he isn’t done either. Your blinders are on just as much as your so called “Cashman Kool-Aid Brigade.”

August 1st, 2008 | 11:25 am

Regarding Washburn, from the USS Mariner;

“They didn’t budge on their ridiculous demands for Jarrod Washburn, so he’s still here…”

“Will the M’s come to their senses and just give Washburn away?”

As well as
      “The Move Washburn Campaign” http://tinyurl.com/6pcua7

“Jarrod Washburn’s success is sustainable and he should command a high price” http://tinyurl.com/5pvtn9

August 1st, 2008 | 11:29 am

More Washburn analysis

14. Joel
      August 1st, 2008 | 12:09 pm

Steve–Let’s say you could fire Cashman and hire the next Yankee GM. Who would you hire and why?

15. August 1st, 2008 | 12:34 pm

Raf – sometimes comments get caught in the SPAM net for no reason. That’s where your’s ended up. Sorry, I’ve now set it free – - and it’s listed here.

16. August 1st, 2008 | 12:36 pm

~~The one start he’s made since that “post” has changed your mind on him? Seems like a lot of faith to put into such a small sample size. ~~

Actually, I only saw the report after making that post. According to it, Wasburn found his change-up back in June. And, the numbers back that up. Since June 9th, he’s made EIGHT starts and has an ERA of 2.65 over that period (in 51 IP).

17. August 1st, 2008 | 12:40 pm

~~Let’s say you could fire Cashman and hire the next Yankee GM. Who would you hire and why?~~

You’ve asked me this before, no? I could swear that I’ve addressed this in comments sections for you before…

Anyway, tying back to this:

..from last year. I would suggest one of the following: Wayne Krivsky, Logan White, Mike Arbuckle, Tony LaCava, Mike Rizzo, Chuck McMichael, Mike Radcliff, Damon Oppenheimer, Al Avila, or Jack Zduriencik.

18. August 1st, 2008 | 12:44 pm

All, I’ve shared my comments/opinions on this now. And, I’m going to stop at this point, in this one, because advancing it again is just annoying. I’d rather not do that.

What I wrote is what I believe…it’s my opinion. It doesn’t mean that you have to agree with me – and I welcome you to post your opinions, etc., in a respectful manner. I like seeing them.

For the record, I am not faulting Cashman for the trades that he made – I think they all make sense. My issue is the failure to get a starting pitcher – that’s all. And, I cannot bow to him as being a genius – because he failed to address a huge hole on the Yankees team: Ponson. That’s it…your mileage may differ.

19. antone
      August 1st, 2008 | 1:44 pm

The reason why I am not as optimistic about the Yankees chances is because I think they need another starter. Whether that is a direct reflection on Cashman or not, I’m not sure, but I do agree with Steve that they can’t continue to throw Ponson out there and expect to win anything.

However, I also think the pitching problem is not just Ponson but that everyone else is slotted a spot too high in the rotation, except for Joba. Right now Joba is pitching like a # 1, Mussina is pitching like a # 3, Pettite like a # 4, and Rasner like a # 5. I think the only way this team would be a legit contender would be if they had a # 2…which actually is Wang but he’s probably out for the season.

I don’t count on Carl Pavano for anything but if the guy is healthy and can give the Yankees 5 starts or so down the stretch instead of Ponson, I would take that in a second.

20. Nick-YF
      August 1st, 2008 | 1:46 pm

A Washburn deal could still get done during this because it’s unlikely anyone would block him on his pass through waivers.

My feeling is that Cashman has made some clever deals, most of which were caused by injuries. I guess it’s hard for me to be critical considering the situation that led to him having such a weak back end of the rotation. Wang’s injury was pretty freakish.

21. Jake1
      August 1st, 2008 | 3:15 pm

Steve is actually right.

What has Cashman done?

He watched Santana, Haren, Sabathia, Harden all get moved and didn’t get one of them.

If this system is as great as everyone brags about we can afford the 3 prospect trade for an ace right?

22. MJ
      August 1st, 2008 | 3:43 pm

———————————
      Who brags that the system is great? I think most of us just say that it’s improving, thanks to Cashman and his team and their re-dedication to player development since October 2005 (but functionally since June 2006).

The system is getting better but it’s not quite at that point yet where the Yanks could’ve traded away the farm for one of those players and not totally depleted themselves of high-ceiling prospects.

August 1st, 2008 | 4:00 pm

————
      None of what the Yanks offered would’ve been better than what these teams received.

24. Jake1
      August 4th, 2008 | 3:09 pm

Any deal with Hughes as the centerpiece would have been better than any deal offered for Haren, Santana, etc.

I guess you also believe that Hughes now throws 100mph too.