• August 3rd vs. The Angels

Posted by on August 3rd, 2008 · Comments (15)

I had tickets for this game. But, I did the fiscally responsible thing and sold them to my friend’s friend, Elana.

I must have the magic touch this season. It seems like every time I have tickets, and cannot go, something big happens. There’s this game…and that June 7th game against the Royals…and that May 23rd game against the Mariners.

Then again, it’s probably good that I missed going to this one. I’m positive that I would have gone into cardiac arrest when Mark Teixeira hit that grand slam in the 8th inning to give the Angels the lead. Seriously, when things like that happen at the Stadium, and I’m there to see it, it’s time to start sizing me up for a body-bag.

The back and forth in this game was amazing.

The first four innings for the Yankees were terrible. At that point in time, it looked like men against boys, or, champs against chumps, with the Yankees being on the short end.

However, when the Yankees came back in the game, and went ahead in the seventh, all I could think about was what this potential “win” was telling us – in the big picture. Sure, the Angels beat the Yankees on Thursday. But, the Yankees beat the Angels on Saturday. And, Friday’s game was close. Winning this game…well…it was a sign that the Yankees could hold their own against the best team in baseball…when you looked at this whole series. And, that’s really saying something.

However, then came the top of the eighth inning.

I started watching this game on YES. In the top of the sixth, I switched to the radio – in my car – by myself. And, then, later, I was among family (pool-side) – still listening on the radio – during the top of the eighth (just as the Angels started to rally).

When Teixeira took Ramirez over the wall, all I could do was mouth the words “Oh, f*ck me!” (since my kids were within earshot). Actually, I think I mouthed it a few times.

What a relief that the Yankees came back in the bottom of the eighth…scoring five runs against Scot Shields and one more against Darren Oliver.

The Angels really booted that inning – and the whole game, in fact. On the day, they allowed the Yankees to score nine unearned runs.

So, in the end, everything that I was thinking during the bottom of the seventh still applied.

Yes, there were nine unearned runs here. But, New York could have thrown in the towel after four innings – and again after the top of the eighth. But, that didn’t happen. There’s no way that the Yankees can feel anything but great after a game like this one.

It should be a fun flight to Texas this evening – for sure. And, the Yankees should enjoy it…as they “earned” it…unearned runs or not.

Comments on August 3rd vs. The Angels

1. ken
      August 3rd, 2008 | 9:35 pm

I hate to be negative after such a great win, but without an inexcusable error by the Angels (Figgins?) Arod hits a rally-killing and possible game-changing GIDP.

I have long resisted holding Arod to a higher standard and defended him against the charges that he hits add-on HR’s, etc. However, I am coming to the POV that there is truth to this.

He can go on a HR streak and carry the team for a few weeks, but he just doesn’t produce in ‘game situations’. There are many other stars in the game who are much more likely to come through.

August 3rd, 2008 | 9:41 pm

RCAA totals, as per today’s ATM reports

YANKEES
      Alex Rodriguez 43

Justin Christian -1
      Ivan Rodriguez -1
      Wilson Betemit -6
      Derek Jeter -9
      Jose Molina -14
      Robinson Cano -20
      Melky Cabrera -20

Rodriguez isn’t the problem.

3. OnceIWasAYankeeFan
      August 3rd, 2008 | 10:04 pm

You should certainly enjoy the win, but it was about as far from “earned” as you can get. It was like the Angels got all the bad luck they hadn’t seen during their recent streak, all at once. It was as if they were absolutely committed to making sure the Yankees won this one.

August 3rd, 2008 | 10:08 pm

————-
      ITS T3H ST4D1UM GH0$T$!!!11!!!!1!1

:D

5. August 3rd, 2008 | 10:40 pm

~~RCAA totals, as per today’s ATM reports~~

Hey, I love RCAA. I do. But, RCAA does not tell you WHEN those runs created above average happened.

There’s always the chance that someone is stat padding…and building big RCAA totals, no?

August 3rd, 2008 | 10:53 pm

—————-
      You’ll have to ask Lee.

Regardless, it’s hard to get on Rodriguez for “stat padding” in this context when Cano, Melky & Jeter have been doing as bad as they have.

7. antone
      August 3rd, 2008 | 11:00 pm

Steve, I was at the game today and when Teixeira hit that home run I think I can speak for almost everyone when I say I didn’t even want to be there anymore.

Of course I pretty much knew Teixeira was going to go deep if they left Ramirez in there because he just lost it after he got the first two guys up. I’m not sure why Girardi didn’t bring in Marte and turn Teixeira around. He had him warming up in the pen but decided to stick with Ramirez.

The Yankees were definitely helped by the Angels errors today but a win is a win and I’ll take a split with the Angels.

ARod with runners in scoring position this season: .253 avg/.412 OBP/.424 SLG/4 HR/39 RBI/22 BB/8 IBB/7 HBP/30 K/ in 99 At Bats

Nady looks great so far, I think his bat is really going to help the Yankees. Giambi is struggling right now, I almost wonder if they should bat Nady 5th for a little while since he is hot.

8. August 3rd, 2008 | 11:17 pm

antone – I was picking up a pizza with my father-in-law after the game and he suggested the same thing: Bat Nady 5th, and slide Giambi down to around 7th.

At this point, I agree. It makes sense.

9. August 3rd, 2008 | 11:27 pm

>> You should certainly enjoy the win, but it was about as far from “earned” as you can get. >>

Gee, it’s better than getting swept and almost no-hit, right? ;-)

Anyway, this was simply karma adjusting for Mo’s performance on Friday night. Nothing to see here, move along!

10. JeremyM
      August 3rd, 2008 | 11:32 pm

I think it’s funny to see people get on A-Rod for that ball that Figgins misplayed. You do realize that the ball was smoked and that was a big part in it being misplayed? Figgins played it poorly, sure, but if the ball is hit another foot the other direction it’s a clean single and A-Rod is “clutch.” But I guess if he doesn’t drive the ball out of the yard, he’s not clutch, because any other hit conceivably could involve luck or a fielder misplaying it.

I’d like to see Christian get a little time in center, Melky looks totally lost at the plate right now.

11. Joel
      August 4th, 2008 | 7:54 am

A win is a win. You don’t sit around and rationalize errors and so forth and then say the game was handed to us. I didn’t say after Game 5 of the 2005 ALDS, “We had them, but they just got lucky because Sheff crashed into Bubba.”

And, I know it’s early, but Nady looks like a keeper.

12. OnceIWasAYankeeFan
      August 4th, 2008 | 8:49 am

A win is definitely a win, and a split is much better than being swept at home (I think though that we had a few mitigating circumstances that have been worked out now ;) ) I’m just sayin’ I wouldn’t conclude that the Yanks can hang with the Angels, all thing considered, based on this weekend.

And no, I don’t know if the Sox can hang with the Angels either, they’ve done worse so far. That’s why I want to catch the Rays and win the division so that the Rays can deal with the Angels in the first round, and maybe we can take them in a longer series.

August 4th, 2008 | 10:31 am

OnceIWasAYankeeFan, anything can happen in a short series, you know that. It doesn’t matter which team you match up with, the “best team” (as defined by record) doesn’t always win :)

14. OnceIWasAYankeeFan
      August 4th, 2008 | 12:31 pm

That’s all true but you start to see trends and begin to wonder. I was amazed a couple of weeks ago to see that the Sox lead the league in road OBP and SLG yet their record still stinks away from Fenway. And the fact remains that predicted wins at Hardball Times has the Sox as the most unlucky team, the Angels the most lucky and the Yanks right where they should be.

Its just been a weird season all the way around. I’m clinging to the hope that eliminating a great but toxic player will work the same way as it did in 2004. :)

15. OnceIWasAYankeeFan
      August 4th, 2008 | 12:48 pm

Oops forget what I said about Predicted Wins – at least about the Sox. Its the other guys who are outperforming, and we’re just underperforming a bit.