• August 4th @ The Rangers

Posted by on August 5th, 2008 · Comments (10)

Damaso Marte…hey, I’m not shocked.

Yes, this was a tough loss – especially since Boston and Tampa lost their games at the same time. Then again, maybe that’s a good thing?

In any event, the big news from this one is the Joba Chamberlain injury. Call it a stiff shoulder or a tight deltoid…it doesn’t matter. What matters is that the Yankees see it as being serious enough to send Joba back to New York, right away, for tests. And, what matters is that Joe Girardi, after the game, already admitted that it’s quite possible that Chamberlain will miss his next turn.

If this event turns into something where Joba Chamberlain is going to miss most of August, you can kiss the Yankees chances this season “good-bye.” If New York doesn’t have better options than Dan Giese/Darrell Ranser and Sidney Ponson for the rotation…who is going to replace Joba?

Don’t get me wrong. I don’t think this is Gil Patterson circa 1977 or anything. But, I do think it could be something that might warrant shutting Joba down for an extended period this year. And, if true, I don’t see the Yankees having enough in terms of starting pitching to be able to weather that storm.

Comments on August 4th @ The Rangers

1. Don
      August 5th, 2008 | 3:15 am

Was there ever any doubt that Joba would miss his next start after leaving the game? I don’t think so. Here’s hoping the 15 day DL, two rehabs, back in the rotation.

It will lessen any conern regarding the 30+ inning deal, if it works out that way.

And Phil (milk carton) Hughes to SWB. See ya soon! We hope.

2. Joel
      August 5th, 2008 | 9:25 am

An absolutely brutal loss. This is the kind of game that a playoff team wins.

And how the heck do you walk the bases loaded–I mean holy s***!

3. MJ
      August 5th, 2008 | 10:05 am

That Marte sucked it last night doesn’t surprise me in the least. He’s been pretty horrid so far for the Yanks. As far as I’m concerned, the Yanks need to bury his ass in the corner where they’d been hiding LaTroy Hawkins. Marte should never see the light of day again in New York.

4. MJ
      August 5th, 2008 | 10:14 am

A follow-up to my previous comment:

Although I still think Marte blows (he’s been lousy since coming over on 7/26), I had no idea he threw 42 pitches last night. WTF was Girardi thinking? What is this, the second coming of Scott Proctor’s arm?

5. Jake1
      August 5th, 2008 | 10:34 am

Why blame Girardi for Marte not being able to find the strike zone? He had 1 pitcher left. He was hoping Marte could get out of the inning.

There is pretty much no shot we see Joba again this year. They will take no chances.

6. Jake1
      August 5th, 2008 | 10:36 am

Marte just wants us all not to forget Kyle Farnsworth. He’s a nice guy like that.

7. festus
      August 5th, 2008 | 10:41 am

I just don’t see how you can write off the season if Joba is gone. Tough to replace, yes, but not impossible. I mean, look at the staff of the team leading the AL Central!!

August 5th, 2008 | 11:08 am

WTF was Girardi thinking?
      ————–
      Well he used Giese, Veras, & Edwar the day before & I think Mo had back spasms. Guess he doesn’t trust Robertson in that spot yet.

I don’t know, just speculation.

9. OnceIWasAYankeeFan
      August 5th, 2008 | 12:15 pm

At this point in the season, you’re not managing for a win every time out. With Mo still out, they were probably looking at Robertson to close (or at least pitch the next two and hope for the best). Under different circumstances, Mariano comes in with the bases loaded.

After everything they’ve done to try to give themselves a chance, they don’t punt on the season, and I doubt they shut Joba down. The only way that happens is if the MRI shows anything really disconcerting. I do think a trip to the DL is at least even odds.

August 5th, 2008 | 4:22 pm

Carl Pavano will save us!!11!1!!