• August 5th @ The Rangers

Posted by on August 5th, 2008 · Comments (7)

Close one.

Too bad this is baseball and not….

The Yankees had 8 walks this evening. This is the third time this season that Yankees had 8+ BB in a game of nine innings or less where they lost. That’s pretty hard to do…

Since 1956, the only other Yankees teams to do “this” three or more times in a season were:

NYY 2000     5 Games
     NYY 1969     5 Games
     NYY 1986     4 Games
     NYY 1971     3 Games
     NYY 1968     3 Games
     NYY 1965     3 Games
     NYY 1980     3 Games

Hey, only two more to go…and then they tie the high-mark.

Speaking of records, New York is now 7 games back in the loss column behind Tampa Bay…with 49 games to play. First place is now in a galaxy far, far, away…eh? How soon until the Wildcard is just as far away?

Comments on August 5th @ The Rangers

1. JeremyM
      August 6th, 2008 | 12:08 am

Having Melky bat for Christian and using Ivan Rodriguez as the pinch-runner was one of the more bizarre managerial decisions I’ve seen. Mind boggling.

2. John ONeil
      August 6th, 2008 | 1:05 am

I couldn’t agree more. Christian is hitting better than Melky but then so is almost every player in the baseball – he is 4th from the bottom in the AL in OPS. Even Chad Moeller was higher.

I applaud Girardi for sitting Melky – wish he had the courage to stick with him.

Girardi has done an awesome job with the bullpen this year- until this week. Burned twice when he left Ramirez and Marte in one batter too long, today he pulls Robertson and gets burned anyway. At least Chris Davis only doubled with the bases loaded. The bullpen coughing up a third straight grand slam would have been hard to swallow. But the bullpen has been so good, I think they get a pass.

Hitting into four double plays. Making Matt Harrison look like Brandon Webb or Doc Halladay. This loss belongs to the bats — again.

3. Don
      August 6th, 2008 | 3:26 am

Problem is, Joe Girardi is one of those guys who thinks that he invented the game. There are more than one reason or two why the Marlins fired him so quickly.

And it cracks wise that in less than 2/3rds of a season, some *fans* were raving about Girardi and the bullpen usage, compared to 12 years of Torre, and 4 WS championships.

I for one remain unimpressed by Girardi, who I was against hiring to begin with.

4. Joel
      August 6th, 2008 | 7:52 am

Like Don, I was against showing Joe Torre the door. But I can’t fault Girardi for the bullpen blowing up games recently. These guys have to come in and throw strikes.

Eddie Guardado has half the stuff that Bruney and Robertson have, but he challenges hitters to beat him. There is a lot to be learned from his attitude.

This thing is slipping away fast. Time for this vaunted 900 run offense going to step up and bash us to some wins.

August 6th, 2008 | 10:36 am

———-
      Cano, Jeter & Cabrera need to step it up.

As for Girardi vs Torre, I was against the change more because it was change for change’s sake; the reasons for letting Torre go didn’t make sense. But I figured the team would perform similarly under Girardi. I didn’t anticipate Jeter & Cano having a bad season. I also didn’t think Melky would be as bad as he has been.

If Joba’s hurt, I can see people screaming about “Girardi, ruiner of pitchers” despite evidence to the contrary. As well as people screaming about keeping Joba in the pen.

Anyway, it appears that we’re looking at ANOTHER season where the pitching fell apart due to age, injury, and ineffectiveness.

6. August 6th, 2008 | 11:08 am

Raf – how many years in a row would you say that is?

August 6th, 2008 | 11:41 am

Raf – how many years in a row would you say that is?
      ———-
      I would say 5 years, starting with the 2004 season. Other years (2001, 2002 for example), you had pitchers missing turns, but nothing seemingly on the level of the last few years.