• August 7th @ The Rangers

Posted by on August 7th, 2008 · Comments (7)

Another bad night, if you ask me, by the Yankees offense. Scott Feldman held them in check? Scott Feldman?

Three runs for the Yanks in this one – with the last one being a gift from Ian Kinsler breaking the wrong way on Jeter’s grounder. The Yankees have to start scoring more runs.

A-Rod is now oh’fer his last fifteen. That’s part of the problem.

On the flip-side, there’s Mike Mussina. Hey, Texas can hit. In fact, they hit very well. Moose holding them to goose-eggs in this one…well…shoot, I’ve run out of words to describe how good Mike Mussina has been…in this game…and on this season.

Without Mike Mussina, the Yankees would be in a heap of trouble this season. Yes, I know that the Yankees are only 15-9 in the games that Moose has started. But, within those nine losses are games that the Yankees dropped by the scores of 4-3, 3-2, and 2-1. (And, there’s two more by the scores of 4-2.)

Only five more wins, now, needed for Mussina to get twenty on the season. Moose should have about 8 or 9 more starts this year. It’s going to be close…but…I hope he gets that 20th win. He deserves it.

Comments on August 7th @ The Rangers

1. antone
      August 8th, 2008 | 12:04 am

If the Moose wins 20 does he get in the Hall? That would give him exactly 270 wins and then whatever he does next year.

2. Tresh Fan
      August 8th, 2008 | 1:31 am

If the Moose wins 20….

That would put him in the “Blyleven Bracket,” I think—a pitcher that you can make a compelling argument either for or against. My gut feeling is that he would need a Cy Young Award and about 15 more career wins to nudge the odds toward his favor.

3. Joel
      August 8th, 2008 | 8:19 am

If Moose wins 20 this year at age 39 he is a lock for the the HOF, IMHO. I think there is a good chance he makes it regardless of what happens from here on.

He is Mark McGuire, Sammy Sosa and Rafael Palmiero in reverse: a very good pitcher who could have been a star on a normal palying field. And the sportswriters and players know this.

We all can only guess how many more games (and 20-win seasons) Moose would have had pitching in a non-PED era–let alone outside of the AL East and cozy Camden Yards and lefty-friendly Stadium.

4. Joel
      August 8th, 2008 | 8:25 am

Steve–FWIW, I enjoyed the “comment preview” function on the old website. My typos have gone way up since then! :)

5. antone
      August 8th, 2008 | 8:40 am

I thought I would share this piece on Mussina, that shows why he is having success this year compared to last year. It’s pretty damn good.

6. August 8th, 2008 | 8:58 am

FWIW, that feature from THT backs up what I wrote a while back:

7. antone
      August 8th, 2008 | 10:16 am

Sorry Steve, I was away for work that weekend, so I kind of skipped over a lot of stuff on the internet when I came back and must have missed that one.