• Kennedy On Being Rocked: “No Big Deal” & “Not Real Upset About It”

Posted by on August 9th, 2008 · Comments (9)

Have you seen the post-game quotes from Ian Kennedy on his effort last night? Mark Feinsand and Cliff Corcoran were right on them. The ones that stand out to me, from “IPK.”

“It’s the first bad outing I’ve had in a long time. I’m not going to look much into it. I felt like I made some good pitches. Yeah, I got the leadoff hitter on quite a bit, but got out of it in the second inning. I’m not too upset about it. . . . Even on their singles, like, what, ground balls? So, that’s not a big deal.”

“A bunch of singles and three doubles or so. I’m just not real upset about it. I’m just going to move on. I’ve already done that.”

Well, now we know why the Yankees were so slow to call up Kennedy – despite the fact that he was beating up on weak Triple-A hitters. When you hear comments like these, it’s clear that he’s a horse’s patootie in terms of his attitude.

If I’m the Yankees, and I’m hearing this, I send him right back down to the minors – now.

Comments on Kennedy On Being Rocked: “No Big Deal” & “Not Real Upset About It”

1. JeremyM
      August 9th, 2008 | 10:01 am

Cashman really screwed up not flipping this kid. It’s clear that he was overrated and it’s his job to figure that out and trade him while his value is high. The fact that Kennedy was hyped as part of a “big three” with Hughes and Joba when he wasn’t even close to worthy should’ve been looked at as a gift from the baseball gods and taken advantage of.

2. OnceIWasAYankeeFan
      August 9th, 2008 | 10:07 am

Like I said in the other post, he took to heart Crash’s advice and is “staying arrogant”. Remember this is the guy who just “knew” he was going to mow down AAA batters and make them realize they had “no chance”. Too bad the hitters at this level are just a bit more talented.

Fact is, he’s got a bunch of “good” pitches and not even a single “great” pitch. That’s a guy who can only succeed if he catches the corners regularly. The problem is, this is the ques-tec era and umpires don’t give the corners as readily as they used to – so Kennedy will fall behind and then one of his 89 mph fastballs will get hammered.

3. Tex Antoine
      August 9th, 2008 | 12:36 pm

And why is Brian Cashman NEVER held responsible for not seeing what is obvious to anyone who watches these guys pitch for more than five innings? Weaver…Vazquez…Igawa…Hughes…Kennedy…the list is endless. If he was a doctor, he would have had his license revoked.

4. August 9th, 2008 | 2:27 pm

Tex – I’ve learned, through the years, that you can hide the truth – but it cannot be destroyed. And, eventually, no matter how well you hide it, it will be found – someday.

That applies to Cashman. Someday, some way, the truth will be found, by all, that he knows squat about pitching.

5. Don
      August 9th, 2008 | 3:22 pm

Kennedy gets his next turn in the rotation, so I’ve heard.

His velocity is not what it was in 2005 and 2007, more like 2006 when he *fell* to the Yankees in the draft. By one account, he only hit 90 once or twice last night. In ’05 and ’07 he was sitting at 92 and hitting 93-94. Quirk? Who knows.

6. susanmullen
      August 9th, 2008 | 9:10 pm

Post game comments to persons not on the team should not be grounds for demotion (assuming they do not involve profanity or personal attacks on others). In this case, the guy did a bad job and the team should evaluate him based on that. His post game comments may be fodder for conversation, but using them as anything more is the tail wagging the dog in the extreme.

7. butchie22
      August 9th, 2008 | 11:59 pm

Tex, good call on Cashman’s evaluation of pitching. For the most part,it has been terrible. There was a discussion on this board about the Yankee’s evaluation of pitchers, as you all can see Cashman has done a middling job at best.

I see Kennedy being traded to an NL team and doing what Karstens has done, become a good ( so far) pitcher in the NL!

August 10th, 2008 | 4:45 am

Y’all may want to take a closer look at Cliff’s recap, which would appear validate Kennedy’s comments

9. August 10th, 2008 | 4:23 pm

[...] I agree with this move. Kennedy has a lot to learn. But, in some respects, I blame the Yankees for this as well… [...]