• August 11th @ The Twins

Posted by on August 11th, 2008 · Comments (23)

Well, if you’re going to allow yourself to get rolled over like a cadaver at a proctology college, it’s always best to get it over with as quickly as possible. So, kudos to the Yankees for getting this one over with in two hours and fourteen minutes.

Words I thought I never would be saying: New York wasted another good effort from Sidney Ponson.

The Yankees have now lost 11 of their last 16. Amazing.

Here’s a closing note: What’s the difference between the Twins universe and the Yankees universe these days? Today, in the world of the Twins, it was announced that Joe Nathan donated a half-million dollars to Stony Brook University to build a baseball field. And, today, in the world of the Yankees, the off-the-field news is that A-Rod is giving Madonna a half-million bucks for her Raising Malawi charity.

Hey, nothing wrong with Alex helping Africa’s orphans gain access to food, education and medical care. In fact, it’s noble. But, because of the Madonna connection, it opens up the Yankees for more ridicule…when their “play” on the field should be enough fodder for the anti-Yankees fans out there today.

But, hey, I suppose that’s what this Yankees season is all about: Making it tough for a Yankee fan to walk the streets with their head held high, right?

Comments on August 11th @ The Twins

1. DJ21996
      August 11th, 2008 | 11:01 pm

Humiliating.

2. Tresh Fan
      August 11th, 2008 | 11:09 pm

The 2008 Yankees: Who is the Mole?

August 11th, 2008 | 11:22 pm

————-
      Meh… Couldn’t care less.

But it warms me heart to no end that while they’re running guys like Cabrera & Christian out there that Bonds, a guy that could’ve actually helped, sits at home.

4. JeremyM
      August 11th, 2008 | 11:28 pm

Girardi has really had his head up his ass this entire road trip. Benching Damon (who has hit well against left-handers) and Giambi (second day in a row) over the opposing pitcher’s handedness is ridiculous.

5. antone
      August 11th, 2008 | 11:38 pm

I see some of you are thinking the same way as me…what the hell was up with the lineup tonight?

It’s like they are trying to lose now! and Giambi actually hits lefties(.247/.402/.517) the same as righties(.254/.389/.518)this season …he shouldnt be sitting for that reason..he should just sit when the pitcher is a power pitcher(.181/.312/.323)…

I really don’t get this at all and to bat Christian as leadoff is just ridiculous…put Jeter there or something if you sit Damon but Damon shouldn’t be sitting in the first place…

I really felt like this game was a must win to set the tone for the rest of the season…but I’m officially giving up on them

6. August 12th, 2008 | 12:18 am

FWIW, I thought that Kay and Flaherty, in the YES post-game booth report, went after the call to rest Damon pretty good…more than I thought they would ever go after Girardi.

And, give Kim Jones credit, she asked Girardi about it in the post-game too. But, Girardi snapped back with “Justin is hitting LHP very well” and it was clear that he did not want to answer that question any more.

It’s a sore topic in Yankeeland, for sure.

7. Don
      August 12th, 2008 | 3:02 am

A-Freud. Need I say more? But I will…..

Nine more years of this garbage, this *circus* that should have moved on. Cheer up, the decline should be great fun as all it will be about is the next *record* Alex goes after. Yankees fans following with brooms, shovels and large garbage pails, cleaning up what is dropped along the way.

Nobody was signing Alex to anything like this deal, nobody.

Thanks Hankenstein.

8. Don
      August 12th, 2008 | 3:06 am

Oh yeah, Bonds. More class for the *new* Yankees. Just what the doctor ordered!

BTW….. Did anyone notice the other day how thin Barry is? Now how’d that happen?

Fit him for an orange jumpsuit, not pinstripes.

August 12th, 2008 | 7:59 am

“A-Freud” is hardly the problem with this team.

Sitting Damon and Giambi, and not using them AT ALL in the game is.

August 12th, 2008 | 8:00 am

Oh yeah, Bonds. More class for the *new* Yankees. Just what the doctor ordered!
      ————
      Any classier than Strawberry? Wells? Clemens?

11. TurnTwo
      August 12th, 2008 | 8:54 am

you’re really going to get on ARod for donating money to a charity that “helps the African nation’s one million orphans gain access to food, education and medical care?”

thats disgusting.

12. August 12th, 2008 | 9:40 am

TurnTwo – do you really think, for a minute, that A-Rod would be giving that money up if it wasn’t all about pleasing Madonna? Really?

13. TurnTwo
      August 12th, 2008 | 9:53 am

its absurd to start dissecting why someone’s money goes where, and to claim there is ridicule and outrage about ARod donating money to a charity thats run by Madonna is itself outrageous.

who in their right mind going to get on ARod and the Yankees organization for ARod donating money to help poor, sick kids in Africa?

you know what matters? that those poor kids who were born into an awful situation are going to get a little bit of hope with the care that comes along with the donation.

it has nothing to do with ARod or Madonna. i would expect you’d know better than this.

14. August 12th, 2008 | 10:03 am

Well, as I wrote, but as you chose to ignore, I said it was noble for A-Rod to donate the money. I just wish it could have been done in a way that would have not enabled the whole Madonna-circus thing to stay in the Yankees spot-light.

August 12th, 2008 | 10:16 am

———-
      If that were the case, he would’ve given the million she asked for instead of the 1/2 that he gave :D

16. TurnTwo
      August 12th, 2008 | 10:21 am

I didnt ignore it. I saw that.

but where is this really being showcased in the Yankees universe spotlight? where is the outrage or ridicule from the public and press towards the yankees organization or ARod about the donation?

there is none, and thats my point.

you want to get on him for his play on the field, thats fine.

but to claim there is a public uproar against the yankees for ARod donating money to a friend’s charity that helps sick kids in Africa at a time when the yankees flat out stink is ridiculous.

17. antone
      August 12th, 2008 | 10:27 am

I think Steve is trying to make the point that nobody would even notice Joe Nathan’s donation but since ARod is giving to Madonna’s charity, it’s going to get a lot of attention and start up more of the ARod/Madonna hoopla that the media loves and turn it into a Yankees suck right now/ARod/Madonna circus. If A-Rod donated to a different charity, then it probably wouldn’t even make news. Sad as that is.

18. August 12th, 2008 | 10:50 am

Thanks antone. That’s exactly my point.

August 12th, 2008 | 11:13 am

———-
      Like when he donated to the University of Miami, for instance. Or when the NYT came after him for being a slumlord.

20. butchie22
      August 12th, 2008 | 11:13 am

It’s funny how Kay got on Girardi resting Damon. Did Damon complain behind the scenes of wanting rest? There has to be more to this story. I know that Damon’s first trip to the DL was this year, so is Johnny Damon 100 percent? I’m very surprised that media savvy Girardi doesn’t understand the backlash over this. Although, from what I understand Damon and Giambi were available later in the game.

At this point of the season, every game is a playoff game. This is becoming a replay of 2005 where every game counts at the end. No more resting people anymore. This is the point of no return. Unless of course, Damon asked for the rest or his injuries are flaring up………

21. August 12th, 2008 | 11:40 am

FWIW, most reports had Damon shocked that he was not in the line-up for this one.

22. antone
      August 12th, 2008 | 1:00 pm

No problem Steve…I seem to understand your angle on things more than others sometimes, not sure why maybe it’s an Italian thing (haha), but it frustrates me when I see others who don’t understand the point you are trying to make.

23. August 12th, 2008 | 1:36 pm

Or, worse, when they say I’m making a point that I never made in the first place! ;-)