• August 12th @ The Twins

Posted by on August 13th, 2008 · Comments (16)

I totally skipped this one. Instead, my family and I went to see the Lakewood BlueClaws take on the Savannah Sand Gnats.

The Sand Gnats are the Mets (low) A-Ball team. The Yankees (low) A-Ball team, the Charleston RiverDogs, are coming to Lakewood next – this Friday, for a four-game set, if you’re interested.

It was a beautiful night at the ballpark. And, “The Chicken” was there this evening. Great stuff from him. He was extremely amusing.

This is what baseball is all about: A comfortable August evening. A cozy park filled to near capacity. The kids eating peanuts, cotton-candy and funnel cake. A modern-day Max Patkin for entertainment. Oh, and, by the way, we saw one heckuva ballgame. Here’s the summary via the Asbury Park Press:

The Lakewood BlueClaws have been riding the hot arms of four 2008 Phillies draft picks and none is hotter right-hander Mike Stutes. The 11th-round pick out of Oregon State University won his fourth game in as many starts for Lakewood, extending his scoreless innings streak to 18 with a seven-inning, one-hit effort to lead the BlueClaws to a 4-0 win over the Savannah Sand Gnats.

With the Lakewood win and West Virginia’s 2-1 extra-inning loss to Augusta, the BlueClaws moved to within one game of the first-place Power in the South Atlantic League Northern Division.

Stutes threw seven shutout innings for the second straight start and took a no-hitter into the seventh inning. After walking Juan Lagares with one out, Jeffries Tatford singled between shortstop and third base for the Gnats’ only hit. Stutes allowed a season-high three walks and struck out six while lowering his ERA to 0.35.

By the time we got home from the game, it was late. I booted up my PC and noticed that the Yankees were up, 6-3, in the top of the 8th. Looking at the boxscore, I thought “Sweet effort again from Moose. Good for him. It’s nice to see him get another ‘W’ – and the team can use it.”

Having some stuff to catch up on, I decided to skip turning on the TV. Besides, three-run lead with six outs to go…not even the Yankees could screw this up, right?

Wrong.

I cannot describe my reaction when I peeked at the score again, on-line, and saw that Marte and Rivera blew the lead in the bottom of the eighth. It wasn’t anger – because tonight was such a good baseball-night for me that not even the Yankees could ruin it. It was more like disgust without any element of surprise – even though it was a surprise. Does that make sense?

In any event, it was a very good thing that the Yankees ended up winning this one in twelve, 9-6. Could you imagine how bad things would be if they had blown this one into a loss…coming off losing 11 of 16…with Rasner slated to start the next game? It would have been “DNR” time – in my opinion – without a doubt. Still, even with the win, does anyone – who doesn’t have the benefit of a nice baseball-night under their belt, like me – feel good about this one (for the Yankees)? If not, I think I could understand that one.

Comments on August 12th @ The Twins

August 13th, 2008 | 7:56 am

—————-
      Yep :)

Not surprised that they blew the lead, but was surprised that Mo blew the save.

2. JeremyM
      August 13th, 2008 | 8:20 am

Mussina is simply destined to never win 20 it seems. And I need to learn Spanish, or I would’ve know that Damaso Marte means “Eric Gagne.”

3. MJ
      August 13th, 2008 | 9:00 am

Mussina would be sitting at 17 or 18 this year if not for a few botched jobs by the bullpen and crap hitting from the once-best offense in baseball that now mysteriously stinks. I feel bad for the guy.

As for Marte…I had a feeling he was going to suck when we traded for him. He’s the new LaTroy Hawkins and should seriously never be used again by Girardi. It stinks that the Yanks had to sell so low on Tabata for this pile of garbage but at least Marte will get the Yanks a couple of draft picks come next June.

The moral of the story, as always? Develop your own bullpen and don’t trade prospects for journeymen relievers who stink.

4. Corey
      August 13th, 2008 | 9:18 am

he moral of the story, as always?
      ====================================
      don’t trade for NL pitchers.

5. ken
      August 13th, 2008 | 9:26 am

OK, someone has to be the contrarian:

Mussina had some bad outings early on that were rescued by the offense.

Marte at the least, is the left handed, er, David Ortiz specialist they need. In fact, I’ll wager he does much more than that before it’s over. Although he blew up in his 2nd inning pitched in LA, the first inning he pitched was 1-2-3. Half full vs empty: I’ll choose full.

Unless Marte’s pre-Yanks success was dependent upon ‘roids, HGH, etc., as was Gagne’s, then Marte will not be a bust.

I’ll still put the biggest blame for the season on Arod and Giambino. RBI guys have to produce RBIs.

6. August 13th, 2008 | 9:28 am

Marte?

Blame the GM for not doing his homework:

Then again, I still make that deal to get Nady.

The trick with Marte is to just use him as a LOOGY – and nothing more. He’s not a set-up guy. Period.

7. ken
      August 13th, 2008 | 9:42 am

Steve,
      I’ll trust the Yank’s braintrust on this one. They had Marte in the system years ago and wanted him back. They scouted him and knew the numbers. I’m giving them the benefit of the doubt for now. (Unless, he was the salary dump for Pittsburgh that had to come with Nady?)

8. butchie22
      August 13th, 2008 | 9:44 am

Yeah, Marte should be used as a Mike Myers type,period. He’s turning out to be Gagne Jr, unh? Farnie has blown up in Motor City, though he was getting it done here. For all the heat Farnie got, Marte is the new version of the old Farnie.

9. antone
      August 13th, 2008 | 9:54 am

______________________________________________

Steve, I completely agree. When they got Marte, I thought he was going to be a LOOGY guy and that’s it.

I’m SHOCKED they are using him in the role that they are and he has pitched into a second inning of relief a few times already. I don’t understand this at all.

Where the hell has Bruney been? He hasn’t pitched in 3 days.

10. antone
      August 13th, 2008 | 9:55 am

Actually he hasn’t pitched since Friday, so it’s eben 4 days.

August 13th, 2008 | 10:20 am

—————
      Then that’s on the manager. If he was acquired to be a LOOGY, and he’s being used as a setup man, how is that the fault of the GM?

12. antone
      August 13th, 2008 | 10:27 am

I was agreeing with the LOOGY part, not that it’s the GM’s fault. I think it’s Girardi’s fault. He’s been driving me nuts with his bullpen usage lately.

August 13th, 2008 | 10:30 am

——-
      Sorry about that, I was referencing an earlier entry;
      ~~~~~
      Marte?

Blame the GM for not doing his homework:

Then again, I still make that deal to get Nady.
      ~~~~~

14. August 13th, 2008 | 10:49 am

FWIW, the GM does have some say on how players are used – esp. when they make millions.

It was Cashman who gave Torre permission to take Mussina out of the rotation last season – and he suggested it to Torre before Moose was moved. I believe the line Cashman used was “Don’t let the salary scare you” or something like that when he told Torre it was OK to take Mussina out of the rotation.

I learned this reading “Living on the Black.”

August 13th, 2008 | 10:54 am

———–
      And watching GMSIII over the years, the owner has some say too :D

16. September 1st, 2009 | 12:52 am

[...] BlueClaws host the Hagerstown Suns – since the Chicken was there (and we had so much fun the last time we caught the Chicken when he was in [...]