• Yanks Should Trade Cano This Off-Season

Posted by on August 31st, 2008 · Comments (11)

Things are bad these days for Robinson Cano. Via Kevin Kernan -

It was fitting that the Yankees turned sure victory into defeat yesterday when Robinson Cano made a lazy, backhanded flip on what should have been a double-play ball in the seventh inning and the Yankees leading by four.

Cano was a no-show after the game, ducking out of the clubhouse while reporters surrounded Alex Rodriguez

The Cano play showed just why the Yankees are in the hole they are in this season. Cano simply lost focus and made the flip in a nonchalant manner. Joe Girardi said it was not a nonchalant play, but a smooth play. He was trying to protect his player. He compared it to the kind of plays Roberto Alomar used to make, but I covered Alomar from the time he was a rookie with the Padres on an everyday basis for three years and never saw that kind of play.

The Yankees first mistake this year was giving Cano a four-year contract extension that guarantees him $30 million. They also should have kept coach Larry Bowa. Bowa had a way of keeping Cano focused. Players will make errors, but these lack of focus errors are the real killers.

Looks like those “baseball people” back in January were right on about Cano.

Back on January 15, 2008, I warned Yankees fans that Cano might not be the next great star that many believed that he would become for New York. And, based on his batting results this season, that warning is starting to look good.

In fact, way back on November 5, 2005, I suggested that the Yankees should take this approach with Robinson Cano:

Personally, I would “Roberto Kelly” him. Let him stay here for a year or two. You know that he can handle New York and the post-season spotlight. (That’s good.) Maybe he starts to do more things at the plate – and then you keep him. But, if he stays the way he is – productive to some on the surface but also not giving signals underneath of potential improvement – then you trade him, say, around 2007 or 2008 (and hopefully get a Paul O’Neill type in return).

Looks like it’s time, now, to do the Roberto Kelly thing, huh?

For next season, if the Yankees went out and got a journey-man middle infielder with a solid glove, who was just so-so with the bat, he might be just as serviceable to them at second as playing Cano….if they could then trade Cano for another player who could fill another need on the team…and it would rid the team of someone who’s attitude has to be questioned at this point.

Comments on Yanks Should Trade Cano This Off-Season

1. antone
      August 31st, 2008 | 10:50 am

I’m not against trading Cano….but he is one of the only young players in the lineup, so if you trade him and plug in someone older, then the Yankees just continue to be an old team and stay headed in the wrong direction. As stupid as it sounds, I think Cano has youth in his favor.

Also, while it’s not Girardi’s fault that Cano is the way he is, it’s somewhat his fault that it keeps happening. Look at what Joe Madden did with BJ Upton and we haven’t seen anything like that from Girardi with Cano. Girardi reminds me of Francona always sticking up for Manny or anyone else on his team and look what happened there.

2. Nick-YF
      August 31st, 2008 | 11:10 am

Personally I think the whole Larry Bowa-Contract thing is bullcrap, but if it is true, then the Yanks should probably hire a drill instructor to follow Cano around the whole season. Problem solved.

I think Antone is right here. The major worry for me about this team’s future is the lack of young positional talent. Trading Cano is a scary prospect, especially since he’s shown flashes of brilliance at a very young age (I don’t think Kelly quite reached the levels Robbie has reached).

3. Nick-YF
      August 31st, 2008 | 11:17 am

Stealing from the previous thread, but I think the Yanks might seriously want to check in with the Dodgers about a Cano deal. Kent is done at the end of this season, they need hitting, Bowa and Torre are there, and so they might be willing to part with a lot for Cano. Is Kemp or Kershaw too much?

4. gs
      August 31st, 2008 | 12:26 pm

“Girardi reminds me of Francona always sticking up for Manny or anyone else on his team and look what happened there.”

Two world series victories in 4 years?

5. antone
      August 31st, 2008 | 3:29 pm

Two world series victories in 4 years?
      ————————————————

I meant with Manny…he did whatever he wanted and they couldn’t control him anymore and it turned into an ugly mess and they were lucky enough to get Bay back for him….but there really was no reason for that to happen. Girardi and Francona are very similar in my mind, no matter what happens they give the impression that it’s not an issue and that no discipline is needed.

Francona is successful because of the talent he has, in my mind I don’t think he really adds anything to that team, he just lets them go out there and play which is what he should do.

6. Joel
      August 31st, 2008 | 6:52 pm

I’m listening…How about Zack Greinke?

7. August 31st, 2008 | 7:13 pm

After the Jeff Weaver thing, I would just recommend that they really, really, check his make-up and ensure that he’s a fit for NY…if they decide to do it.

8. Joel
      August 31st, 2008 | 7:38 pm

Agreed, Steve. I heard he has had some emotional issues in the past. But he has a much better arm than Weaver ever had.

In any event, if someone brings me front-end of the rotation talent for Cano, I’m listening.

You shouldn’t need a Larry Bowa to motivate you to play hard every day for the New York Yankees.

9. September 1st, 2008 | 12:44 am

who would play 2b?

Cano, after a horrid April, has been his normal solid self, hitting .303/.334/.466 since then.

10. September 1st, 2008 | 7:02 am

But, since April, has his attitude changed at all? The trade would be more so because of his lack of focus in the field, than because of his bat potential.

11. Joel
      September 1st, 2008 | 9:15 am

Travis–You could do a lot of things at 2B. You could sign Orlando Hudson for one, a superb defender who seems to be flying all over the field at any moment.

They need to change the feel of this team. Cano, Abreu, Giambi, Damon, Matsui, etc… All are on the trading block in my estimation.