• September 3rd @ The Rays

Posted by on September 3rd, 2008 · Comments (6)

The good news: The Yankees have now won three in a row – with the last two coming against the first place Tampa Bay Rays…at the Trop, where the Rays play very well.

The bad news: Take a look at the standings tomorrow morning.

I have to be honest about how I feel about the Yankees, at this moment, and this game, overall.

Sure, it was fun to see Phil Coke do well. And, the buzz around A-Rod’s monster homerun and the replay review of it was interesting tonight. But, on the whole, I could not get too excited about watching this game. Yes, I know the Yankees are on life-support. And, yes, I know that – at the worst – they could be playing spoiler now with the Red Sox and Rays being so close to each other. Nonetheless, in terms of registering on my thrill-meter, this game had about the same juice-level as a Spring Training game. Whether it’s wrong or not, I just had a hard time really getting into it.

Once the Yankees lost two of three to both the Red Sox and Blue Jays, on their last homestand, it just took all the wind out of this season for me. And, continuing to be candid, I’ll admit that I’m going to be bothered if Alex Rodriguez hits something like 15 homers this month and the Yankees win a bunch of games…after the brutal month of August that he and the team had this year (when wins were really needed). It’s almost as if…well…now it’s “garbage time” and all of a sudden Alex is homering everyday and the team is winning games again.

Am I the only one who feels this way about this game, tonight, and A-Rod, and the team, going forward, now, following those series against Boston and Toronto?

Comments on September 3rd @ The Rays

1. Tresh Fan
      September 4th, 2008 | 12:27 am

Steve, I feel just great tonight. Thank you for asking. But consider the fact that maybe (just maybe) the Rays are beginning to slip at this point in the season and the Yanks were just there just as they were about to start slipping anyway. Not that that’s a problem for them, as I believe it would take an act of God to keep them out of the post season from here. Still, they’ve had two poor pitching efforts, failed in some very clutch offensive situations, and have made some very blatant mistakes in the past two games. So just maybe…

2. September 4th, 2008 | 12:34 am

Yeah, there’s a part of me that says “Steve, what’s wrong with you? The Yankees need two ten game winning streaks in their last 20-something games to make this happen. And, now, they’re one-third of the way on that first 10 game streak. So, why not be excited?” But, I guess it’s just the carry-over of those Boston and Toronto games that have left me with this foul attitude.

3. antone
      September 4th, 2008 | 7:06 am

Steve you pretty much summed up how I feel about the situation. I fully expect A-Rod to hit .400 this month with about 15 HR. I still want the Yanks to win but I feel like it’s going to be too little, too late. The Red Sox have been murdering the ball, even their scrubs are hitting. The Yanks might pull within 3 or 4 games and tease us but I don’t expect much more than that.

4. clintfsu813
      September 4th, 2008 | 10:18 am

I live in Florida. The Rays broadcasters are just plain awful. Tuesday night when Moose got a bad call on a strike and the Rays went on to score a run, they were all joyful about the “lucky break” they received. Oh the pain when Arod got his “lucky break” and jacked that immense HR over the foul pole. They bitched and moaned about it the rest of the game and post-game. Dont Broadcasters have to be a little biased?

5. September 4th, 2008 | 1:29 pm

>> The Red Sox have been murdering the ball, even their scrubs are hitting >>

And they just got done playing the hapless O’s for 3 games … your point being?

6. OnceIWasAYankeeFan
      September 4th, 2008 | 4:02 pm

How about that, since Manny was sent away, they’ve played .700 ball (21-9) while averaging 6.5 runs per game?