• Prison Break, Season 4

Posted by on September 5th, 2008 · Comments (9)

I’ve mentioned in the past that I’m a bit of a Prison Break junkie. Since we were away at Cooperstown, I recorded episodes one and two for season four – which aired on Monday – and I finally got to watch them last night.

To be candid, I’m a little bummed with what I saw…and it seems like the writers, etc., are getting a little lazy about the show in its fourth season.

Example One: The removal of Michael Scofield’s tattoo. Yes, the ink had more to do with seasons one and two – and probably ate up too much time to have it put on before each filming session. But, that tattoo should have stayed on – because it’s a reminder of everything that’s come first in the storyline.

Example Two: At the end of season three, there was a lot of effort around Fernando Sucre’s story – and getting him locked up in Sona. And, how did they pick that up in season four? With an “Oh, by the way, Sucre’s out. There was a fire and everyone escaped” – and that’s it.

Basically, that’s my beef with how season four kicked off. It’s like season three (as were the two before it) ran with a nice, long, slow boil to bring you to the end of the storyline for that block of shows – and it set the tee for where the next season should begin…and get you ready for another installment of the arc.

But, instead of picking up season four where season three left off, and then doing another, nice deliberate, unfolding of the next wave of the story, season four starts off with “O.K., season three ended here, and, yadda-yadda, a lot of stuff happened. Yeah, trust us, it did. But, we’re not going to show you. And, now, for season four, we’re all the way over here. And, by the way, watch this: bang, bang, bang. Now, a bunch of other stuff just happened and we start our story from here.”

I’m also not sure if I’m thrilled with them (meaning the powers behind the show) taking the cast of main characters and turning into some sort of Ocean’s Eleven crew now on a quest to get Scylla.

Now, for what it’s worth, it did seem like episode two of season four did have some elements of suspense. And, that’s good. But, I’m very interested in seeing how the show goes from there. I hope this all doesn’t mean this season will be the end of the line for what was an excellent show.

Comments on Prison Break, Season 4

1. TurnTwo
      September 5th, 2008 | 8:38 am

also love the Prison Break. see, something we can agree on!

i didnt look as much into the tattoo stuff as you apparently did. i dont know how they put that on him for the show, whether its makeup, semi-permanent and washes off, etc, but my guess is that he just got tired of having to do all that for the show when it didnt matter anymore. i dont have a problem with that, really.

i did kind of laugh at how they just glossed over Sucre and company just simply got out of Sona. i really thought that the way they played that up at the end of season 3, that the beginning of season 4 was going to start with Scofield abd his brother helping break Sucre out, because he was such a good friend, yada, yada, yada.

but then to just explain it like “btw, did you see this? there was a riot, and Sona burned down and everyone got out,” seemed a little anti-climactic.

but, then as i think back to it now, i kind of prefer that. they’d already played out the Sona thing, so to have to go back and start a whole new season back there might have been a little tedious and boring.

i thought it was also a little lazy to just say “oh, and by the way, Tancredi is still alive… she was only in hiding because we had to fool you.” but again, in the long run, she’s a great character, and a good looking gal, so it helps the show from here.

i only saw one of the 2 episodes from monday, so i dont know how they completely lay it out just yet, but i like the Scylla storyline. there are only so many times you can pretend like they got recaptured and are back in another prison and breaking out, again. you know how that kind of story is going to end when the season is over.

at least with this new, open storyline, where its the Oceans 11 crew vs the company, its your typical good vs evil, justice vs the corrupt kind of thing that you can expand upon probably as long as you have creative writers.

looking forward to the rest of the season.

2. September 5th, 2008 | 10:07 am

FWIW, if this has to be the last season of Prison Break, I could live with it. But, since the first three seasons of the show were so excellent, I’d want to see the last season be just as good, if not better, and see it go out on a high note – rather than have it turn into Joanie and Chachi and friends go on a Mission Impossible.

3. TurnTwo
      September 5th, 2008 | 10:28 am

“I’d want to see the last season be just as good, if not better, and see it go out on a high note – rather than have it turn into Joanie and Chachi and friends go on a Mission Impossible.”

keep the faith, Steve! you just said the first three seasons were excellent, so why would think that with the same writers, same characters, and new plotlines, its all of a sudden going to be subpar?

September 5th, 2008 | 10:43 am

———-
      From Steve’s review, it seems that they’re trying to do too much with too little time.

I don’t know, I don’t watch; no time.

5. butchie22
      September 5th, 2008 | 11:27 am

Steve, it’s funny with the 24 influenced shows like Prison Break, Lost, Heroes ( telling stories in entire seasons) that eventually something other than the season long format would be taken. THis change in Break reminds me of the changes from season to season in 24. Yeah, Wentworth and Dominic are more renegade versions of Jack Bauer now, but they are working for the Feds. They also had that twist where the girlfriend, Tancredi, was still alive, that was so 24. They are jumping the shark with this story, but hey I’ll give it a chance.

Look, I liked the first two episodes. Was it farfetched in that 24 type of way? Sure, but it was entertaining. In addition, I’m a big fan of 24 and Lost so this is tiding me over until Jan 2009 when both shows start again.

September 5th, 2008 | 11:51 am

Now that I think of it, since Prison Break had a hard time attracting viewers, maybe these changes are a reflection of that? Maybe they’re trying to cater to a wider audience?

7. hopbitters
      September 5th, 2008 | 5:04 pm

…now on a quest to get Scylla.

She’s usually on the opposite side from Charybdis.

8. September 5th, 2008 | 6:47 pm

I actually like the team aspect to this. I think it’s kinda cool. :)

But, I agree with you on some of the other aspects. Like Sucre, etc. just getting out. It goes from the hardest nut to crack to there was a fire and they all go out? Kinda funny. But, that’s the series! :)

9. September 29th, 2008 | 10:38 pm

[...] the start of this season, for Prison Break, I had my concerns about the direction in which the series was heading. But, I hung in there with the third, fourth [...]