• September 13th vs. The Rays – Game 2

Posted by on September 13th, 2008 · Comments (7)

Please, let this be the last time we see Sidney Ponson pitch for the Yankees. Just release him – now or first thing on Sunday morning.

I have to wonder…if Zobrist and Gross don’t start playing hot potato with the baseball in the 7th, do the Yankees still win this game?

In any event, a win is a win…and, yet, seeing Boston win their second game against the Blue Jays today, after losing their first game, maybe it would have been better to see the Yankees not win this game? You know…ice the Sox out of first…make them sweat the White Sox, Twins and Jays some, etc.

Nah…ya’ gotta take the win…for the fans who took to time to watch this game. They deserved it.

Speaking of watching this game…watching Evan Longoria get that pinch-hit off Mo in the 9th…and considering the game he had this afternoon…I wonder….

…If you took a poll of all 30 big league G.M.’s, and asked them “Who would you rather have now as your third baseman, A-Rod or Longoria?,” I wonder which player would get picked more often…

Lastly, I’m digging Phil Coke…not sure what to make of his work, it being September and all…but, the kid seems like he cares out there. And, passion is good – especially on this team.

Oh, and, yeah, that Derek Jeter dude had a pretty good day today, huh?

Comments on September 13th vs. The Rays – Game 2

1. Corey
      September 14th, 2008 | 12:35 am

And he’s over .300 …he’s definitly washed up

2. September 14th, 2008 | 12:37 am

Hey Steve,

I agree about Phil Coke. He seems legit. I had an interesting moment with him the other day. I live in Seattle and I was at the Yanks-M’s game in LF and I yelled, “Yo, Phil Coke!” at him. He turned around and waived and then came by the fence and called to me. “You’re the first guy to get my name right,” he said. “Everyone always thinks I’m Phil Hughes,” he added, with a disgusted tone (in reference to Hughes). It was a funny/cool moment.

And, yea, Jeter has been on fire ever since June (although he cooled off a bit in July). He’s having his best month. He’s trying hard out there, but it looks like everyone else has given up (I mean, the writing has been on the wall for a while, but at least show something out there).

3. Tresh Fan
      September 14th, 2008 | 8:38 am

Jeter has definitely come on of late. And his recent basehit binge has got me wondering: Just who has the most career hits as a shortstop? I’m thinking it might be Aparicio. He had 2,677 lifetime knocks and played all but 17 of his 2,599 games at shortstop. And if not “Little Looie” it might be Omar Vizquel, who has about as many hits in about as many games at short. Either way, that’s a mark Jeter should surpass next year.

Oh, and btw, is Coke the real thing?

4. September 14th, 2008 | 9:03 am

iYankees – great story!

~~is Coke the real thing?~~

LOL – I see a t-shirt in the making on that one!

FWIW, I’m guessing Honus Wagner, Luis Aparicio, or Omar Vizquel for most hits by a SS. Jeter should get the record around September 2009.

5. Tex Antoine
      September 14th, 2008 | 9:13 am

I smell the beginnings of a “Save the Big Two” campaign centered around Coke and Acevedes. That worked out so well last winter.

6. September 14th, 2008 | 10:09 am

You said it Tex, not me. ;-)

7. butchie22
      September 14th, 2008 | 12:52 pm

If the Yanks lose they help Tampa, if they win they help Boston! Whatta conundrum….. Yeah, I got caught up in the Tampa story because I’m the type of fan that likes to see these teams like the “Rockettes” of last year come out of nowhere and prove that baseball can have a small market team compete. I’m in the group that wants Tampa to get homefield to see if they can go all the way. It would be fun to see a Tampa/Cubbie World Series and having Tampa win! Bud would hate that but hey too bad.I’m surprised that Toronto blew that lead, but when they scored 5 runs( they stink offensively but are better under Cito) at Fenway but you can never be too sure at that place.