• September 15th vs. The White Sox

Posted by on September 15th, 2008 · Comments (8)

I only caught bits and pieces of the first part of this game – while we were getting the kids ready for bed. And, come 8 PM, it was time for The Sarah Connor Chronicles and Prison Break. So, in my house, score this one: FOX 1, Alfredo Aceves 0.

I did catch the tail-end of the post-game on YES shortly after 10 PM.

When I was watching early, I saw the whole thing with Tony La Russa. I have to confess that, animal rights efforts aside, I always thought that La Russa was a bit of a horse’s rear-end. But, the fact that he went out of his way to come see one of the final games at Yankee Stadium impressed me. I mean, if there’s anything that Tony La Russa doesn’t need in his life…it’s to watch a baseball game on his off-day. And, yet, there he was…attaboy Tony.

Congrats to Mo for career save #479. I swear…the dude is just an absolute freak. As much as we, as Yankees fans, appreciate Mariano Rivera (and we do!), it’s probably not enough. Years from now, we’re going to look back at his career and say “Did that really happen, or, were we dreaming?”

Nice little win for the Bombers today…but, with Boston winning, our tragic number is down to four. The Yankees should have that “x” next to their name by the end of the week…if not sooner….

Meanwhile, how ’bout those Mets? They’ve lost 3 games off their lead since Wednesday. Wouldn’t it be something if they provided some October humor again this year? Sure helps to deal with the stink/sting of this Yankees season.

Comments on September 15th vs. The White Sox

1. September 15th, 2008 | 11:06 pm

We’d like to have an “x” next to our name. “x” has always denoted clinched.

We’re headed either for a “d”, followed by an”e”, or have both occur on the same day.

2. Corey
      September 16th, 2008 | 12:13 am

==============================

I went to the double header on Saturday. Let me tell you, taking santana out of that game was the worst move. EVERYONE in the building saw the mets pen blowing this lead coming from a mile away. Why didn’t anyone pick apart Manuel in this one? If you allow a pitcher to go out for an inning, without anyone warming, wouldn’t you think that he would have faith in finishing it? There;s no way I would take Santana out with 2 on and no out for Sheonwise. Santana was supposed to face 3 batters, at least let him do it. You never know he could get a double play, he could strike out a batter. You know Shoenwise is going to blow it.

3. butchie22
      September 16th, 2008 | 7:41 am

Steve, I don’t revel in other people’s misery so I don’t care about the Mets winning or losing. That collapse that happened last year was the closest thing to the Yankees’ 2004 in recent baseball history. I have family in Philly and was happy that the Phightin Phils finally got into the playoffs. I grew up in Mets country and was a minority in a sea of Met fans, so I grew to hate the Mets. Even still, I don’t want to get into that Met trap of rooting for the Yanks to fail. I want my team to win.

It’s not over for the Mets by any means, so I’m not saying they are making the playoffs for sure BUT they are in a better position to rectify what happened last year with Santana on the mound. In addition, the Mets have the Brewers to thank for a potential wild card berth. Even if they collapse, they have a way out.

Corey, rule number 2: Yankee fans don’t go to Met games, especially Met doubleheaders. Talk about committing a cardinal sin…..only joking!

4. September 16th, 2008 | 8:01 am

Lee, FWIW, here was Girardi last week:

“I still think we have something to play for,” Girardi said. “You play and play and play. You have pride in what you do. There’s no ‘X’ by our names, so there’s still a lot to play for.”

5. MJ
      September 16th, 2008 | 1:34 pm

——————————
      The NY Times simply said that “St. Louis Cardinals Manager Tony La Russa, whose team was off Monday, attended the game as a guest of White Sox owner Jerry Reinsdorf, his former boss.” Where did you see the part about him coming to see Yankee Stadium one last time? I would definitely pat him on the back for that. Very cool that he’d come all the way to NYC for that.

6. September 16th, 2008 | 2:39 pm

~~~Where did you see the part about him coming to see Yankee Stadium one last time?~~~

The YES booth talked about it. But, here’s some good background about it:

7. MJ
      September 16th, 2008 | 3:28 pm

The YES booth talked about it.
      —————————–
      I didn’t watch the game (stopped watching on TV a few weeks ago now…).

Very cool that La Russa chose to spend an off-day like that. Kudos to anyone that loves baseball that much.

8. September 16th, 2008 | 11:29 pm

[...] FOX night at my house tonight. This time it was House and Fringe. So, I missed everything in this contest [...]