• September 16th vs. The White Sox

Posted by on September 16th, 2008 · Comments (7)

Another FOX night at my house this evening. This time it was House and Fringe. So, I missed everything in this contest between the top of the fourth and the top of the ninth. But, I did catch the game recap on My9.

Congrats, of course, to Derek Jeter for setting the all-time record for most hits at this Yankee Stadium. It would have been nice if the “hit” had come cleaner…but, years from now, when people look at the record book, there will be little debate as to whether or not that should have been an “E-5.” Oh, and, for the record, this was the 775th game where Jeter played at Yankee Stadium and had at least one hit – for those into those types of stats.

Speaking of stats, Andy Pettitte’s record is now 13-14 on the season. In the 13 seasons prior to this one, Pettitte’s never had a season with a losing record. He’s got one, maybe two, starts left this year. Let’s hope he can square off his ledger and keep his “positive” streak going.

Speaking of going, it’s time to stick a fork on Jose Veras. And, if the Yankees are counting on him to be a big part of their pen in 2009, they’re making a mistake.

After the Yankees game, I did catch the end of the “Bricktown Showdown” being played at AT&T Bricktown Ballpark in Oklahoma City between the Scranton/Wilkes-Barre Yankees and Sacramento River Cats (on ESPN2). Pretty ballpark – but, lots of empty seats for this game.

I picked that one up during bottom of the 7th with Mark Melancon pitching for the Yankees. Man, he looks a lot smaller than 6′ 2″ (as he’s listed).

Speaking of getting small, looks like the Mets, Phillies and Brewers now have themselves a tight race in the National League. The two teams who win the most of their remaining games will make the post-season. Half of the Mets’ games are against the Braves and the Marlins. Betcha those two teams would love to knock the Mets out of it. If it happens, it should make this off-season a little easier for Yankees fans…not having to listen to Mets fans brag about making the post-season, etc.

Now, in a perfect world, the Mets choke again this regular season in the National League. And, in the American League, the Red Sox make it to the ALCS…winning the first three games there and then losing four in a row to miss making the World Series. Hey, a Yankee fan can dream, can’t he?

Comments on September 16th vs. The White Sox

1. September 17th, 2008 | 2:56 am

Pettitte has got to be injured. The Post recently reported that he has a “tired” shoulder (whatever that means), which obviously explains a lot. If it’s that bad, I think it’d be great if he just shut it down and gave some rookies a few starts, but at this point, he’s not going to give up the opportunity to pitch last game at Yankee Stadium (hopefully he won’t get shelled).

2. butchie22
      September 17th, 2008 | 5:56 am

Yeah, that Mets/Brewers/Phils race is getting hot BUT who honestly thinks that the Brew Crew will hold up? As bad as the Mets have been, the Brewers have been worse. And this year there are no Rockettes coming up the rear to steal a playoff spot. If the Mets fans brag so be it, they had a collapse worse than 2004 last year let them let off some steam. Seeing the Mets win a World Series would be painful, but look at how many Met fans were on the ledge last year and even now this year. I wonder is this year gonna be like 2004 was for the Red Sox…..

3. September 17th, 2008 | 7:49 am

There’s little question in my mind that Pettitte is pitching hurt…

4. MJ
      September 17th, 2008 | 10:14 am

I no longer watch the games so I watched the Bricktown Showdown too. Kennedy looked ok at times and not ok at other times. Beyond that, the only other take-away I had from the game was that there isn’t a single hitter in our AAA affiliate that will ever make it in the bigs. That’s one seriously lousy lineup right there. Kudos to Dave Miley for taking it as far as he did.

The only other baseball I watched was the top of the 9th of the Mets game. Seeing Wright, Beltran, and Delgado go down to seal the 1-0 loss to Washington was SWEET! I’m rooting hard for Philly and the Brew-Crew to make it, if for no other reason than to stick it in Omar Minaya’s eye for how how treated Willie

5. September 17th, 2008 | 10:47 am

~~Beyond that, the only other take-away I had from the game was that there isn’t a single hitter in our AAA affiliate that will ever make it in the bigs. ~~

You mean Eric Duncan won’t hit!?!

J/K.

6. antone
      September 17th, 2008 | 11:26 am

Don’t forget about the Astros either.

7. MJ
      September 17th, 2008 | 12:02 pm

You mean Eric Duncan won’t hit!?!
      ——————————–
      HAHAHAHA!

Finally my buddy Steve and I can agree on a (non)-prospect! :-)