• 2008 Regular Season Game 156: In-Game Comments

Posted by on September 21st, 2008 · Comments (12)

Please use this entry to share your opinions, observations, complaints, rooting, and other sundry comments with fellow fans during the playing of the Yankees game on Sunday, September 21, 2008…the last game to be played at the current Yankee Stadium.

I’ll be at the game today. So, don’t look for my recap until Monday morning. Related, once the game is over, feel free to continue commenting, here, with your thoughts, feelings, etc., about what’s happening in Yankeeland on this special day.

Comments on 2008 Regular Season Game 156: In-Game Comments

1. OnceIWasAYankeeFan
      September 21st, 2008 | 12:02 pm

Its premature since the Sox have to beat the Jays this afternoon, but will it put a damper on the day if, with a tragic number of 1, the Yanks lose to the Orioles tonight, so that the last out of Yankee Stadium II will coincide with the end of the Yankees post-season hopes?

Should it not happen, I would think that Yankee fans should be pleased that they played well enough in their final homestand to avoid being eliminated until they go on the road. I’m sure the players don’t want to answer questions about their elimination at the same time they are being asked about the final game.

2. September 21st, 2008 | 12:07 pm

Post-season hopes? I don’t think that anyone in Yankeeland, the front office, players, or the fans or the media thinks that, with a tragic number of 2, with 7 games to go, that the Yankees have any post-season hopes.

Where the Yankees are in the standings, etc., will have no impact on how the people enjoying this game will feel.

Today is all about the last game at an 85-year old landmark. That’s big enough in itself to over-ride how this season went for the Yankees.

3. September 21st, 2008 | 12:15 pm

FWIW, Buster O. got some great quotes from players, etc., about Yankee Stadium in this one:

4. September 21st, 2008 | 12:18 pm

Dom Amore has a nice a read on his YS experience too:

5. OnceIWasAYankeeFan
      September 21st, 2008 | 4:14 pm

Well, we took care of our side of it today, and I still say that should they lose, it will be extra disappointing that it also marked their elimination from the race. You can bet there will be a column or two in tomorrow’s papers about that. Everyone wants Mo to record the last out but if its an Oriole pitcher striking out Cano or A-Rod, no one goes home happy.

6. butchie22
      September 21st, 2008 | 7:01 pm

Look the hype is over the top. Yeah, it would be fun to take this one BUT does it really matter? I’m watching some of the pregame stuff and it is pretty standard actually( after Dr Evil). I must say that Kim Jones does look good though…..

Once I was , I Bill Simmons had a refreshing take on Yankee Stadium: that it was a Haunted House and he was happy to see it go. I don’t agree with that curse garbage, so I dismissed him but was glad to hear a lone voice in the desert.

September 21st, 2008 | 8:38 pm

Jeez, Steve, you left awful late; the crows was pretty deep around 1pm

September 21st, 2008 | 8:38 pm

crowd too!

9. OnceIWasAYankeeFan
      September 21st, 2008 | 10:27 pm

I have to say that the 1923 “players” was one of the hokiest, lamest things imaginable. That was worse than stupid.

10. butchie22
      September 21st, 2008 | 10:51 pm

Once I Was, I didn’t like the Miller Huggins and Co presentation BUT it wasn’t hokey and lame. It was cool that they acknowledged the 1923 team BUT using ersatz fillins was a bit much. They just should have mentioned the team, nuff said.

11. JeremyM
      September 22nd, 2008 | 12:09 am

Really cool that Molina hit the last bomb. Guys like Jeter, A-Rod, etc. already have their place in history assured, so it’s nice that a guy who most haven’t heard of gets a place in the sun.

12. Joel
      September 22nd, 2008 | 12:20 am

A remarkable and appropriate end to the Stadium. The Jeter moment talking to the crowd was terrific.

It’s been a tough season, but the Yanks ended it in style. What a special night.