• September 23rd @ The Blue Jays

Posted by on September 23rd, 2008 · Comments (8)

Hey, it took 157 games to eliminate the Yankees from post-season play this year. Considering everything that went down this season, that’s not too shabby.

It’s not great – when you consider the talent on the Yankees roster. But, it’s not terrible either.

Congrats to Mike Mussina for getting his 19th win this evening. When he took that shot off the elblow, I thought he was toast. Nonetheless, Moose gutted it out and Girardi pulled out all of his guns from the pen to lock it down.

Check out this stat: The last time that a 39-year old right-handed pitcher won 19+ games in the American League was Early Wynn in 1959. And, the time before that was Cy Young in 1909. That’s saying something.

On the flip-side of nice things to say…

Did you know that, since August 1st of this year, including this game, A-Rod is batting .251 (44 for 175) and he has whiffed 48 times in 175 At Bats? Yup. It’s true. O.K., I’ll just hang up now and listen to your comments on that…

Comments on September 23rd @ The Blue Jays

1. Don
      September 24th, 2008 | 3:08 am

Nine more years of the A-Freud Circus to go!

Thanks Hank.

2. Joel
      September 24th, 2008 | 7:21 am

I’m not laying this clunker of a season on the guy who led the team in HR and RBI.

Sure he’s a little wacky. But just let the guy play, rack up his historic numbers, and build around him.

3. AndrewYF
      September 24th, 2008 | 8:39 am

What a choker. Do you think Babe Ruth ever batted .251 with 48 strikeouts over a period of 175 at bats ever in history? He always hit .300 and never struck out over any period of any time you could ever think of. That’s why he’s great, and Alex will never ever be great. It’s a disgrace people actually talk about him with the greats. He never won a championship! How can you be great and not have a World Series ring? Alex is such a fraud. How could someone with his talent bat .251 with 48 strikeouts over 175 at bats? There’s only two explanations: he’s not actually that good, or he’s a choker. Hey, it could be both. He’s never won a championship. The worst ‘great’ baseball player ever, am I right? What a disgrace to the Yankee Pinstripes.

4. Joel
      September 24th, 2008 | 8:56 am

Yes, AndrewYF, A-Rod is not Babe Ruth.

But I’m fine letting him be a “disgrace to the Yankee pinstripes” on his way to 800 HR and 2,000 RBI.

Can we move on from this A-Rod silliness?

5. AndrewYF
      September 24th, 2008 | 9:21 am

I guess my comment wasn’t tongue-in-cheek enough.

6. Tresh Fan
      September 24th, 2008 | 9:36 am

In point of fact, Ruth led the league in striking out five times and finished second seven times. During his first full 11 seasons (1918-1928) Ruth Ruth was either 1st or 2nd in striking out every year, and he retired with the most lifetime strikeouts by a rather healthy margin. That’s perhaps the only downside of the Bambino’s great career.

7. Joel
      September 24th, 2008 | 10:25 am

My bad, AndrewYF. I just glanced at your post and am pissed off today.

8. dgreen323
      September 24th, 2008 | 11:29 am

I couldn’t have said it any better AndrewYF. That’s exactly how I feel about A-FRAUD (that’s what I call him, get it? a little play on words I came up with, good one right?).