• Pettitte Done, Takes Blame For Yanks ’08

Posted by on September 25th, 2008 · Comments (9)

Mark Feinsand shares that Andy Pettitte blames himself for the Yankees not being in the post-season this year – and that his shoulder will not allow him to pitch again this season.

At this moment, Pettitte’s RSAA total for the season is -1 and his ERA+ mark is 95. So, it’s clear that Andy was just a “league average” pitcher this season. Still, even in a “bad” year, he won 14 games in 33 starts giving the team 204 innings pitched…with many innings coming while he was hurting.

Andy Pettitte is a great competitor. I was happy that he was on the Yankees this season. And, I hope that he comes back to New York again in 2009.

Comments on Pettitte Done, Takes Blame For Yanks ’08

1. MJ
      September 25th, 2008 | 9:26 am

I love Andy Pettitte, always have and always will. I like that he’s willing to take some responsibility for how the season turned out even if he doesn’t have to (after all, it was a collective team failure, not just one guy). On a one-year deal, I’d definitly have him back. I’d even consider a two-year deal. But it can’t be at $16M/year because that’s just ridiculous.

One other point: A-Rod’s “bad” years are WAY, WAY better than this one just turned in by Andy yet no one seems to be willing to give him a pass. Double-standard much?

2. September 25th, 2008 | 9:34 am

I think it’s more a matter of the fact that Andy has built more equity with Yankees fans than A-Rod has…via his part in 1996-2003.

3. MJ
      September 25th, 2008 | 10:37 am

That’s precisely the problem. Equity is bullshit.

4. September 25th, 2008 | 10:44 am

In your opinion, perhaps. But, not everyone else feels the same way.

5. MJ
      September 25th, 2008 | 11:02 am

It’s what drives me nuts about Yankee fans. Feats accomplished ages ago by certain players still carry weight despite more recent failures by those same players. But recent greatness is totally ignored and dismissed, and constantly qualified with layer upon layer of BS.

It’s maddening.

6. antone
      September 25th, 2008 | 11:24 am

Go route for another team then…like one that kicks out their great players and makes them look bad in the media once they don’t want them anymore….

September 25th, 2008 | 11:33 am

————
      As evidenced by Torre & Clemens’ presence, or lack thereof, I’d say MJ already does :)

September 25th, 2008 | 11:40 am

In your opinion, perhaps. But, not everyone else feels the same way.
      ————
      Exactly, which is why Torre is plying his trade with the Dodgers :D

9. antone
      September 25th, 2008 | 12:17 pm

————————————————–
      Clemens created his own grave on that one…Torre is a manager so that is completely different…they are always going to catch heat if the team is not playing up to expectations. Plus I don’t think the Yanks purposely made him look bad to the media, unless I’m forgetting something….