• Giambi Wants To Return

Posted by on September 26th, 2008 · Comments (9)

Jason Giambi wants to come back to the Yankees next season. Kat O’Brien has the story.

You know, I realize that Giambi is sort of a Randy “Macho Man” Savage and Norm Peterson hybrid – so, that makes him a big, strong, colorful, fun-loving dude, who everyone wants as a friend. And, I realize that Giambi’s had a somewhat productive year at the plate this season.

But, even if he comes back at a discount next season, on a short-term deal, it would be a stupid move by the Yankees. It’s time to think about the future, for the team, at first base – rather than just delay, by another year, getting rid of the past.

Comments on Giambi Wants To Return

September 26th, 2008 | 10:14 am

I realize that Giambi is sort of a Randy “Macho Man” Savage and Norm Peterson hybrid…
      ————
      funny mental image that is :)

2. antone
      September 26th, 2008 | 10:35 am

Steve-I’m not in favor of having Giambi back for another season but I also don’t see any other long term options out there free agent wise.

Would you agree that the only way Giambi won’t be back is if they trade for another 1B?

Maybe Cano for Loney would be a deal that could get done. I’m not completely sold on Loney but if they Yanks want to get rid of Cano then they might be willing to do that and then sign Orlando Hudson, who I’ve heard they are very interested in.

I’m against moving Damon or Matsui to 1B because it doesn’t accomplish anything in the long run and I’m sure neither one would provide great D over there.

3. dgreen323
      September 26th, 2008 | 10:45 am

I actually think if you can bring back Giambi at a reasonable rate for 2 years or less, it would be a decent deal.

Giambi is still a solid source of on-base % and slugging %. His biggest negative this year was his RISP numbers, which I know to many is the be-all end-all of stats, but that’s unlikely to be repeated. In fact in ’05 and ’06, he hit noticeably better with RISP and Men On than his general season numbers. (I discounted ’07 because that was basically a lost year due to the heal injury).

I know it’s not ideal, but I think it’s probably better than locking up this position for 8 years with Teixeira with the looming possibility of needing to move Jorge or Jeter to first in the next 2-4 years.

4. antone
      September 26th, 2008 | 10:59 am

I think they will be alright with Posada behind the plate for 2-3 more years because he caught less than 1,500 games in his career, which is less than 10 seasons. As long as he can still throw, I don’t think his age will be an issue.

Jeter is going to be at short for a while and I wouldn’t pass up a chance to upgrade 1B just because they might have to move Jeter there in the future. Jeter is in pretty good shape too so even though he has limited range, my guess is that he won’t be that much worse than he is now over there during the next 3-4 seasons. As long as he’s hitting, he’s probably better than any other option at SS anyway.

5. dgreen323
      September 26th, 2008 | 11:13 am

Well I’d say Posada is the bigger concern here. I know we all hope he can catch next year but we’re really not sure. And that does scare me a bit.

As for Jeter, I agree Jeter is passable at SS but he does seem to lose a step every year at this point. And we know this is a guy who will finish his career with the Yanks, meaning he’ll be here at least another 4-5 years. And given that time frame, I do believe a position shift for him is probably inevitable. I mean I know he’s in good shape, but he’ll also be 35 next year. Few guys can play shortstop into their late 30′s, let alone guys who have basically been average defensive shortstops for their career.

I think the idea of locking into another guy for a very long term just scares me a bit. I know he’s a great player, but do we really want to continue that trend of plugging positions for 5-8 years at a time?

6. butchie22
      September 26th, 2008 | 12:03 pm

The Yankees have too many DH/first base types. As productive as Giambi is, they need to go get Teix and start anew.

7. antone
      September 26th, 2008 | 12:29 pm

Teixeira is great with the glove too. He is a solid player and there is nothing wrong with locking in to him at his age of 28. The question is do you spend the money on him or do you spread it around the other areas of need? I have no doubts that Teixeira would be a productive player throughout his contract and is certainly a major upgrade over Giambi on defense. He is also is a switch hitter and you could bat him 3rd 4th or 5th in the lineup.

8. MJ
      September 26th, 2008 | 12:38 pm

I’m not worried about Teixeira as a productive player, I’m worried about giving him (or anyone) yet another $200M contract. I doubt Hank will be able to keep it in his pants and will almost certainly bid against himself but I’d love it if the Yanks were able to get Teixeira at a reasonable contract.

As far as Giambi goes, I don’t mind keeping him around because he’d be a better DH than Matsui (who keeps on breaking down now) but it has to be made clear to him that he is the DH. He sucks with the glove. If he wants to stay, he’s gotta stay for his bat only.

9. antone
      September 26th, 2008 | 1:07 pm

I wanted them to trade Matsui before last season. They probably could have gotten something decent for him. Now who know, it may be too late. I’m not opposed to bringing Giambi back for one year either, even though I can’t stand him in many ways, only because the other options are few if they don’t get Teixeira.

I can’t see the Yanks spending $200 on Teixeira. I think that has been blown out of proportion. I think he gets something similar to Torii Hunter’s contract of $18 mil per year only longer years…so anywhere from 6-8 years for $110-$140 million