• Mets Have Cashman To Thank?

Posted by on September 27th, 2008 · Comments (9)

Did you see the Brewers game today? How about the Mets game?

If the Mets end up making the post-season this year, today’s Cubs-Brewers and Marlins-Mets games will be a big reason behind that happening. The Mets can thank Johan Santana for an ace’s effort. He was a true warrior for the Metsies this afternoon. And, the Mets can thank the Cubs’ Ted Lilly for doing a number on the Brewers as well.

But, if Brian Cashman doesn’t ignore Ted Lilly as a free agent and later elect not to trade for Johan Santana, then those two pitchers would not have been in the position that they were today…

…so, if anything, if the Mets now make it to the post-season in 2008, they can thank Brian Cashman too.

Comments on Mets Have Cashman To Thank?

1. trippingac
      September 27th, 2008 | 8:59 pm

I’ll tell you, as a Mets fan it just warms my heart that this is what your season has come to, Yankees fans: it has come to rooting against the Mets (even showing up at Shea in Yankees gear to do it; pathetic!), and to pounding your chests as you proclaim that the Mets can thank the Yankees for their success.

Look, there’s no way the Yankees were going to get Santana. No way, since it meant giving up Melky Cabrera. And as we all know, the Melk Man delivers! Thank god you guys were able to hold on to him.

Wait, Melky Cabrera couldn’t carry Daniel Murphy’s jock strap.

I enjoy your arrogance though, I really do. I mean I’m also pretty used to it after all these years. Hey imagine this: maybe the Twins still would have preferred the package the Mets would have put on the table over the Yankees’ package. In retrospect, it was a better package anyway, considering the number of wins those two studs Ian Kennedy and Phil Hughes have put up.

2. thenewguy
      September 27th, 2008 | 11:09 pm

i’m going to assume you’re joking (one never knows here….). But yes, it does seem Omar Minaya owes a big hindsight-thank you to Brian Cashman for choosing the way he chose. Personally, I hope the Mets don’t make it. I’ve never felt this way before. I don’t hate the Mets and their fans until their fans get too cocky. Then they need to be knocked down. WFAN needs a few days of furious mets callers.

3. September 27th, 2008 | 11:12 pm

A Mets fan to trippingac: Hey, it’s the biggest win of the year for the Mets! What are you going to do now?

trippingac: Gee, I dunno. Go read Yankees blogs, I guess…

Wow.

4. trippingac
      September 27th, 2008 | 11:58 pm

hahahaha

You’re post just got under my skin, that’s all. It’s a very emotional time for us Mets fans right now.

5. thenewguy
      September 28th, 2008 | 2:50 am

emotional because you have spent so much time hating the yankees while yankees fans couldn’t give a shit about the mets? we only care about the mets this year because we have no other team to look at. Did you really think you years of hatred would endear you to yankees fans? We really didn’t care about the mets until you guys started talking shit when you shouldn’t be.

6. DJ21996
      September 28th, 2008 | 7:30 am

Reaching on Lilly but Santana :(. He has been awesome over the past few months…all credit to the Mets for getting a deal done.

7. September 28th, 2008 | 8:05 am

~~It’s a very emotional time for us Mets fans right now.~~

I can only imagine…and I am jealous of that position. The Mets deserve props for having Game #162 – and maybe #163? – mean everything to them. I would trade for that every time over having the “pleasure” of watching Sidney Ponson close out your season in a rain-game that nobody wants to play…or watch.

8. Jake1
      September 28th, 2008 | 1:48 pm

Why would a Met fan post here after the biggest win of the yr?

Hilarious

9. Jake1
      September 28th, 2008 | 1:50 pm

How is it a reach on Lilly?

Lilly wanted to be a Yankee. His agent practically begged Cashman to match the Cubs offer. He was a lefty who was AL East battle tested.

But hey, Kei Igawa was a much better choice, Cashman.