• Wright For A-Rod?

Posted by on September 30th, 2008 · Comments (11)

“They need to help him work through his apparent anxiety in high-pressure situations … He cares so deeply that he puts enormous pressure on himself, and this trait seems to wreck him in big spots. He seems to leap at the ball when he’s trying to hit with the game on the line. They need to address this.”

No…that’s not being said about Alex Rodriguez…although it sure does fit A-Rod. Actually, it’s Buster Olney writing about the Mets’ David Wright (via MetsBlog).

This leads to an interesting question…

..all things considered…meaning age, salary, off-the-field behavior…if you’re the Yankees and the Mets offered you David Wright, one-up, for Alex Rodriguez, do you make that trade?

Me? I think the Yankees make that trade in a heartbeat. How about you?

Comments on Wright For A-Rod?

September 30th, 2008 | 10:11 am

I don’t think the Yanks would be so eager to move Rodriguez, though it would be tempting, as Wright is 7-8 years younger and is now entering his prime.

2. richi
      September 30th, 2008 | 10:11 am

I’d do it.

3. September 30th, 2008 | 11:16 am

But David Wright, unlike A-Rod, has actually ADMITTED to “pressing” in clutch situations. He’s a self-admitted choker! You, Steve, the champion of clutchiness, shouldn’t want simply a younger version of the same un-clutch player!

Also, check this out: Wright was basically even with A-Rod from age 22-24. The last two seasons, he’s fallen off A-Rod’s developmental pace:

4. throwstrikes
      September 30th, 2008 | 12:40 pm

A-Rod has the track record that shows he is a great player. What has Wright shown himself to be?

5. September 30th, 2008 | 1:47 pm

me? I’d offer Hughes and Cano for Wright and maybe a farmhand or two.

you could score a whole lot of runs with Wright and Arod in the lineup for the next decade.

6. MJ
      September 30th, 2008 | 1:52 pm

me? I’d offer Hughes and Cano for Wright and maybe a farmhand or two.
      ————————

If the Yanks are to trade Cano — and I’m not convinced they should — they should do so for pitching help or for an everday CF.

7. September 30th, 2008 | 1:54 pm

“You haven’t addressed team needs in doing so. Where do you play Wright? LF? 1B? Who plays 2B?”

play Wright at 1B, which is where he prob should be playing anyway, and sign Orlando Hudson to play 2B.

really not a problem for me.

8. Don
      September 30th, 2008 | 2:42 pm

The Mets aren’t trading their poster boy to the Yankees. Silly idea, Steve. And the Mets wouldn’t take the salary, they’d be total fools.

Not to mention the Hankenstein love for A-Freud.

Nine more years of the circus to go!

9. Corey
      September 30th, 2008 | 6:20 pm

Cano is going to be a monster next year with that new stance i’m telling you. If you saw him at the plate he was lunging (obviously) and is turned the ball over less(damn grounders to second killed me all year) I wouldn’t trade him, at least wait till he goes bananas next year and trade him then so you get something(s) nice out of it.

As for Wright for A-rod I think I mentioned that a week or 2 ago about how everyone wanted to trade A-rod for Wright but had since stopped since Wright has stunk it up down the stretch. I guess I was wrong on that 1.

10. Corey
      September 30th, 2008 | 6:21 pm

besides steinbrenners crave home runs, and a-rod is going to be the home run king soon…they would never let that happen in a..*spits*…met uniform

11. ken
      September 30th, 2008 | 8:27 pm

I would do this, absolutely. Problem is, I think that ownership wants Arod for the marketing impact of all the records he will set.