• WasWatching.com Water Cooler Talk 10/21/08

Posted by on October 21st, 2008 · Comments (23)

Just trying something new…

I’m going to set these up each week, assuming it warrants continuation, to publish one each morning…

Consider it a post providing a place for you to comment on anything Yankees-related (or within reach of tagging the bag of being Yankees-related on a decent slide) on a given day. It could be a casual conversation offering, or, something you saw in the news, or something very detailed that you want to share that’s within the territory of Yankeeland.

Or, comment on something that someone else has posted here in the comments…

Have fun. Play nice. And, remember, keep it Yankees-focused.

Comments on WasWatching.com Water Cooler Talk 10/21/08

1. antone
      October 21st, 2008 | 8:48 am

I was just about to get up and go to the water cooler right now…

2. antone
      October 21st, 2008 | 9:01 am

Steve, think the Yanks should go after Peavy? I think it would be funny if they traded Hughes for Peavy, because you always compare him to Andy Benes who pitched for San Diego.

3. MJ
      October 21st, 2008 | 9:24 am

I’d rather the Yanks get Sabathia than trade for Peavy.

4. October 21st, 2008 | 9:26 am

Peavy scares me in a Javy Vazquez way…

5. Corey
      October 21st, 2008 | 9:26 am

According to a lot of people Peavy hates new york…

6. Corey
      October 21st, 2008 | 9:27 am

and kudos to steve this is a good idea

7. MJ
      October 21st, 2008 | 9:32 am

According to a lot of people Peavy hates new york…
      ———–
      I read that too but I always question those reports unless a player or his agent comes out and says it. You never know who is behind those reports. “His friends” could be anybody.

8. antone
      October 21st, 2008 | 9:44 am

I think he’s got better stuff than Vasquez ever had, but yeah I’m sure he won’t be as good in the AL.

9. Pat F
      October 21st, 2008 | 10:18 am

no peavy. money or prospects, but not both, and that is what san diego and peavy are going to want to come to new york from what it looks like.

10. MJ
      October 21st, 2008 | 10:40 am

————-
      Meaning we extend his contract to get him to agree? But wouldn’t San Diego want players in return? I understand the concept that we’re taking a lot of money off their hands but they’re not going to settle for less than Hughes/AJax and at least 1-2 other players.

11. Pat F
      October 21st, 2008 | 10:47 am

mj,
      exactly. san diego is definitely going to want to start with some combo of hughes/cano/ajax/etc. but i think to come to new york, a place peavy has said he’s not in love with, would take money on top of his existing contract as well. in my opinion, money and prospects doesn’t make sense, when there are pitchers out there of similar/better production value that could be had for just one or the other. i’m all for paying big dollars to get a cc, and i’m all for putting together a serious package (within reason) of prospects to get a proven entity, but not both.

12. Southern Yankee
      October 21st, 2008 | 11:10 am

I’ve been crying since mid-July for the Yankees to offer a handful (and a half if necessary)of MilB pitchers to the Pirates for McLouth and Doumit. Before responding in negatives please picture the many, many ABs you suffered through with Melky and Gardner and Photoshop McLouth into that picture. Would have been and can still be sweet, eh ?

13. Pat F
      October 21st, 2008 | 11:19 am

i’d do it in a second southern, for at least one of them. i just don’t know that pittsburgh would, and if what pittsburgh wanted would make sense for us (they’d want a lot, and rightfully so).

14. MJ
      October 21st, 2008 | 11:57 am

I don’t see a place for Doumit but I’d take McLouth for CF, absolutely. He’s probably not as good as his 2008 indicates but he’s certainly a capable starting-caliber MLB CF with a bit of speed and some pop.

The interesting thing is what Pittsburgh might want for him. Since Andrew McCutchen and Steve Pearce are more or less ready to be full-time players now, one would think that the Pirates have to make room by moving McLouth and Doumit.

15. Corey
      October 21st, 2008 | 11:59 am

that’s all assuming the pirates are dumb enough to take our scraps again, i mean when do you think they’ll learn? There comes a point when u gotta stop being the laughing stock of the league, ask the Rays.

16. MJ
      October 21st, 2008 | 12:00 pm

assuming the pirates are dumb enough to take our scraps again
      ————–
      I wouldn’t call Tabata scraps, exactly.

17. antone
      October 21st, 2008 | 12:26 pm

From what I have seen McLouth is not a good defensive CF according to all the defensive rating systems that are out there.

Here’s one example at least:

Center Field: The Padres have some pretty good defense all around, and the top centerfielder has been Jody Gerut (+8). Now, again, there is an innings issue. Gerut has 500 to Carlos Beltran’s (+6) 1000, but if Gerut maintains his pace for the next couple of months, he could earn the top spot. One of the surprise hitters of the year, Nate McLouth (-15), has been absolutely terribly with the glove. McLouth may be better suited to a corner position.

18. Scout
      October 21st, 2008 | 12:31 pm

McLouth, Peavy, et al: it’s all a matter of what you are prepared to pay. I believe the Yankees will first try to purchase top-tier talent on the free agent market, where they can outbid other teams if they want to. For the names mentioned here, who are team-controlled for quite some time, many other teams will enter the bidding and the key factor becomes talent. Most teams demand major-league ready players (or close to it — at least AA level), of whom the Yankee organization has few. To land these players, the Yankees will need to offer the likes of Hughes, Jackson, Melancon — the pick of the litter, so to speak. If Cashman offers less, then other teams will simply outbid him.

I like Peavy, but I much prefer pitchers who have survived in the AL, especially in the AL East. That’s why CC, Lowe, and Burnett are attractive (and, yes, all have downsides, whether it be length-of-contract, age, or injury history), just as Ted Lily was a couple of years ago.

19. MJ
      October 21st, 2008 | 12:38 pm

——————
      Fair point. I’ve only see him play a handful of times so I have no idea what kind of fielder he is. But he was a big part of my championship-winning fantasy team this year! ;)

20. antone
      October 21st, 2008 | 1:08 pm

—————————————————
      Guess it’s a good thing they don’t count defense in fantasy then!

I haven’t seen him play often enough to judge for myself, but I know the general feeling is that he should be at a corner position.

I think what Cashman decides to do in CF is more important to how we evaluate him next season then just throwing money at Sabathia and Teixeira. I think anyone can do that. Then to a greater extent, if they don’t get the guys they want by throwing big money at them, then what moves will Cashman make? This is a make or break season for Cashman in my eyes, because there isn’t much out there if the Yanks don’t land the big money guys, so he is going to have to get creative I think.

21. Pat F
      October 21st, 2008 | 1:49 pm

antone – couldn’t agree more that this is cashman’s make or break season. the farm is no longer barron (to his credit, meaning we can afford to give up players/picks), there are money/players coming off the books (financial/roster flexibility), and the team is in a position where it actually needs to get better to compete (we did not make the playoffs). if, under these circumstances, we don’t see marked improvement, i think he gets the blame. however, if the team improves, and continues to get contributions from within (which is cashman’s foundation) i think he gets the credit. and i think this is the season it really has to go one of those ways. i don’t think we can sit here next year wondering how good/bad brian cashman is. i think we’ll now by then.

22. Southern Yankee
      October 21st, 2008 | 2:40 pm

Interesting that the objections to McLouth “center” on his defense while we have so many fans contemplating noodle arm Damon as the ’09 centerfielder. Some of Johnnys cf misplays late in the season make McLouth look like a Gold Glover.

Also Doumit can play OF and 1B, insurance against Posada not recovering and for failure to sign Tex.

23. February 15th, 2009 | 8:35 pm

[...] towards nights and weekends. The main exception to this being the Water Cooler Talk items that started last October – appearing Monday through Friday mornings. Oh, and, yes, we have the random Wild Thoughts that I [...]