• WasWatching.com Water Cooler Talk 10/24/08

Posted by on October 24th, 2008 · Comments (20)

Feel free to use this post as a place for you to comment on anything Yankees-related (or within reach of tagging the bag of being Yankees-related on a decent slide) today. It could be a casual conversation offering, or, something you saw in the news, or something very detailed that you want to share that’s within the territory of Yankeeland.

Or, comment on something that someone else has posted here in the comments…

Have fun. Play nice. And, remember, keep it Yankees-focused.

P.S. – if you want to discuss Game 2 of the 2008 World Series, as a special treat, here – that’s O.K., today, too.

Comments on WasWatching.com Water Cooler Talk 10/24/08

1. October 24th, 2008 | 8:34 am

Just a side-bar…
      what do you think of the “Water Cooler” idea? Like it? Not?

FWIW, I wasn’t planning on doing these on the weekend – just on weekdays. Any thoughts on this?

Thanks in adavance!

2. MJ
      October 24th, 2008 | 8:53 am

The Water Cooler is a good idea. Instead of one of us apologizing for hijacking a thread, you give us an open forum to chat amongst ourselves while you’re at work (and while we should be working :) ).

So…Game 2…that was some bad call by the homeplate and 1st base ump on Baldelli. Made me think of Steve’s theory that a checked swing should be a strike based on the batter’s intent to swing. In that case, I can’t say I disagree. Really lousy umpiring through the first two games.

3. soap
      October 24th, 2008 | 11:11 am

Would you trade Phil Huges & Andrew Brackamn & Austin Jackson for Jake Peavy?

4. October 24th, 2008 | 11:23 am

“Would you trade Phil Huges & Andrew Brackamn & Austin Jackson for Jake Peavy?”

in theory, i would trade Hughes and Jackson in a package were it to secure a big time pitcher.

Peavy? probably. Id do my best to not include Jackson, though, although thatd be awfully tough to do without him.

5. antone
      October 24th, 2008 | 11:29 am

I wouldn’t trade Jackson and Hughes for Peavy.

I just saw that Derek Lowe might be looking at $16-18 million a year for 4 years which is insane and hopefully the Yankees pass on that.

6. BILLSTYLE
      October 24th, 2008 | 11:48 am

I think the Pads are selling high on Peavy, thinking he may be on a decline. I like Peavy, but I don’t feel NY is the place for him, he very much carries that SoCal laid back attitude.

I’m not for trading Hughes, I still think he has a lot of upside to him, he is still young, and the Yankees shouldn’t giv eup on him (or Cano for that matter, heard too many trade rumors involving him)

I am hopeful that Jackson is not just another yankee prospect that is hyped to the max. I don’t know much about him except stats. Can somebody fill me in on him, comparisons/similarities to other players please?

7. October 24th, 2008 | 11:54 am

~~Would you trade Phil Huges & Andrew Brackamn & Austin Jackson for Jake Peavy?~~

I wouldn’t even trade Jackson, one-up, for Peavy.

8. butchie22
      October 24th, 2008 | 11:58 am

MJ good call on my pet peeve on bad umpiring. Rollins was hit in the 9th and if he gets on base the game is a little different. Replay should be opened up on an even grander scale than it is because of crap like this.

I also agree on a check swing being an automatic strike. It would remove a gray area from baseball and that means better calling from mediocre umps.

9. MJ
      October 24th, 2008 | 12:32 pm

I wouldn’t even trade Jackson, one-up, for Peavy.
      ———————-
      That doesn’t make any sense whatsoever.

10. Corey
      October 24th, 2008 | 12:46 pm

This is either a great idea, or the greatest idea

11. soap
      October 24th, 2008 | 1:07 pm

look we need a big time pitcher, we alrady made last year a mistake by not trading for Santana
      we cant mess this up a second timeand he is the best avialable option.

Steve why wouldnt you trade Jackson straight for him, because you hate Casshman and you dont want him making good moves?

12. AndrewYF
      October 24th, 2008 | 1:46 pm

Maybe Steve meant Reggie Jackson.

13. AndrewYF
      October 24th, 2008 | 1:46 pm

Or the entire works of Jackson Pollock?

14. October 24th, 2008 | 2:09 pm

Nope. Just not high on Peavy at all.

15. MJ
      October 24th, 2008 | 2:19 pm

Nope. Just not high on Peavy at all.
      ——————–
      By saying this, you’re saying that you ARE high on Austin Jackson or that you at least believe that AJax is better than Peavy.

Given your exceptionally lukewarm view/opinion of young players, I find this position pretty contradictory and perplexing.

16. October 24th, 2008 | 3:18 pm

Not really…personally, as a general rule, I’m “higher” on position player prospects who have shown success at the minor league level provided they have shown an ability to control the strike zone (via their BB/K rate and OBP) and have done so at age that’s appropriate (or younger) for their league – without also showing some defect in their game such as having a bad glove or some sort of strong differential that suggests they may be a platoon player.

Pitchers, on the other hand, are a different animal. There have been many, many, young pitchers who have excelled in the minors – perhaps at every level and at ages young for that level – who have never amounted to squat in the majors.

Sure, it happens with hitters too. But, I would offer that the big league “failure” rate on the position players who have demonstrated the keys that I have mentioned is much lower than the big league “failure” rate on the pitchers who seemed like the real deal in the minors.

Again, this is all just IMHO.

17. EdB
      October 24th, 2008 | 4:00 pm

Good take on how to evaluate players Steve. Although if you offered me one of the top 20 pitchers in baseball (in his prime) for a Double A OF who doesn’t have superstar written all over him-I’d probably take the deal pretty quickly.

But no way I’d consider giving up Hughes and Brackman as well. I’m not even sure I would do that deal without Jackson included. By failing to sign Cole and with the struggles of Kennedy (and potential health of Joba) I don’t think the team can afford to trade either of those guys-let alone both.

Here’s a thought-how about Kennedy and Jackson for Delmon Young? Following the above logic-Delmon should be a much surer bet than either or both.

18. October 24th, 2008 | 4:20 pm

Huh? As Young ever shown an ability to control the strike zone (via his BB/K rate and OBP)?

19. srivinodh
      October 24th, 2008 | 7:31 pm

Did u guys happen to read the Cano for Cain deal that NoMaas proposed…. its a neat proposal, although we may need to give up one more A- prospect…

20. MJ
      October 25th, 2008 | 11:58 am

Did u guys happen to read the Cano for Cain deal that NoMaas proposed…
      ——————–
      Matt Cain has just posted two solid seasons as a 22 and 23 year old. Why would the Giants sell on him now? It would take more than Cano to get that done. Young, cost-controlled power arms are worth their weight in gold. No way the Giants do this.