• Leitch: Stimulus in Pinstripes

Posted by on October 27th, 2008 · Comments (13)

Have you read Will Leitch’s “Stimulus in Pinstripes” yet? (Hat tip to Brothers Judd.)

Warning: The Royal Order of the Cashman Kool-Aid Brigade may find it upsetting.

Comments on Leitch: Stimulus in Pinstripes

1. AndrewYF
      October 27th, 2008 | 7:21 pm

Don’t see what’s so upsetting about that article. The Yankees have a ton of expensive contracts coming off the books during an offseason that contains more quality free agents in a long time. They have a ton of payroll room to spend, and they also have young players to trade if they deem it necessary.

If the Yankees do indeed sign Sabathia, they are in a much better spot, with Hughes and Kennedy intact, than if they had gotten Santana and still gotten bounced from the first round because of their worst rash of completely unpredictable injuries since I don’t know when.

No doubt that this offseason is huge. Cashman has always said that the big reason for the non-trade of Santana is because of the dual cost of players and money. And that’s fine, I agree with that. Well, Sabathia and Teixeira cost only money. Put it where your mouth is, Cashman. Of course, even if you win it all with these players, Steve will still bemoan that you only did it by making the ‘obvious’ moves, but you can’t please everyone.

2. October 27th, 2008 | 8:20 pm

~~Well, Sabathia and Teixeira cost only money. Put it where your mouth is, Cashman. ~~

There’s a tragic flaw with this plan – and it’s the assumption that it’s just money to get the free agents available and that’s what will bring them to New York.

But, what if they want to live/play somewhere else?

Then, Cashman is left sitting there, holding his own Hughes in his hands, with a pitching staff and middle-line-up full of holes and nothing to plug them with.

Of course, when that happens, AndrewYF will bemoan that Cashman had no choices and did the best that he could when the market would not break his way…and that you can’t please everyone.

3. AndrewYF
      October 27th, 2008 | 9:35 pm

I think we can afford to wait and see what happens. If the Yankees acquire Sabathia, will you REALLY say that they are still better off if they had gotten Santana (who is, as of now, an older, worse pitcher) and given up Hughes, Kennedy and lord knows who else what Bill Smith was demanding?

By the way, how awful does his decision look for the Twins? He made the worst choice possible, and only part of it is hindsight. He could have had Lester+, or Hughes+, or kept Santana and made the playoffs. Instead, he got Carlos Gomez. And traded away Matt Garza, the ALCS MVP, for Delmon Young.

Just be thankful THAT man isn’t our GM, eh?

4. October 27th, 2008 | 10:00 pm

Hey, for all we know, Kevin Mulvey and Carlos Gomez may amount to a lot more than Hughes and Melky, right? No one knows, for sure, do they?

And, are we sure that we know what the Red Sox offered? Was it Lester, for a fact?

And, FWIW, IIRC, I was always a Terry Ryan man. Did I ever say Bill Smith was a great GM? Please, show me where I wrote that. I just a quick search of the blog and could not find it.

But, as often is the case, it’s easier to make a claim that you know what I’m going to say, or for you claim that I said something that I never said, than it is to stick to the facts.

5. AndrewYF
      October 27th, 2008 | 10:09 pm

Sure, but how do you know what the Yankees were and weren’t offering? I do know that Hughes was on the table, but Smith doubled down and asked for something like Jackson in addition to Hughes, or else Kennedy and Wang.

And hey, I never said you said Bill Smith was a great GM. Just a thought I had, and how while one may think things are bad here, they could be a hell of a lot worse.

Might want to practice what you preach there, Steve.

6. hallofamer2000
      October 27th, 2008 | 11:25 pm

A few comments on the article:

I have no problem with the idea of the article, but it had some poor points…

1) No one came blame the Yankees for letting Carlos Pena go. Plenty of teams gave up on him and even the Red Sox let him go. Every team had a shot at him.

2) The Joba/bullpen car comment was uncalled for.

3) The Yankees will have to do all of them (signings)? Cano in a utility role?

4) He credits the Sox and Rays for building from within, but insults the Yankees for trying it. He claims its possible for the Yankees to get cheap players so they should sign everyone, but everyone else is allowed to do it just fine.

7. October 28th, 2008 | 8:11 am

~~Might want to practice what you preach there, Steve.~~

AndrewYF, excuse if I don’t take behavior recommendations from people who start threads about me at other blogs entitled “Steve Lombardi – Cranky Old Man” – like you did last December.

8. AndrewYF
      October 28th, 2008 | 9:44 am

So, are you saying you shouldn’t practice what you preach? What do I, an anonymous blog commenter, have anything to do with the truthfulness of your statements? You can’t just defend yourself with a snarky comment and at the same time commit the same intellectual crime you just accused me of. Well, you can, but your web-cred will just continue to plummet.

9. MJ
      October 28th, 2008 | 9:46 am

But, what if they want to live/play somewhere else?
      ———————–
      So what’s the best way to mitigate such a “flawed plan?” To build from within, which is what Cashman is trying to do.

Will Leitch is now all of a sudden being taken seriously because he writes for a serious publication? The article could’ve been ghost-written by Joel Sherman or Bill Madden. When trying to attack something as a failure, it helps a lot if the points you make are actually accurate. Buzz Bissinger would be crapping his pants right now…

10. October 28th, 2008 | 1:06 pm

MJ: Since when does anyone consider New York Magazine a “serious publication”?

11. MJ
      October 28th, 2008 | 2:30 pm

MJ: Since when does anyone consider New York Magazine a “serious publication”?
      —————-
      I’ll put it this way, when they recommend a restaurant, a movie, or something to see around town, I’ll take their word for it. When it comes to sports, they should stop pretending.

Point taken.

October 28th, 2008 | 3:36 pm

No one knows, for sure, do they?
      ———-
      True; then why are we having this conversation? :D

13. October 28th, 2008 | 5:34 pm

AndrewYF – if this blog, and I, annoy you so much, why do you read it and comment here so much?