• Yo, Bro!

Posted by on October 27th, 2008 · Comments (25)

Jeff Pearlman catches up with Scott Brosius at ESPN Page 2.

Here’s a snip:

Though Brosius certainly enjoyed his 11-year major league career, he was always — in the best possible sense — a man who shunned the spotlight; he politely ducked excessive praise and was quick to point out the merits of teammates. In a city that had five different newspapers covering the Yankees, Brosius read about his team exactly zero times. “That’s probably how I survived,” he says, laughing. “When I arrived [in a trade for Kenny Rogers], I made a commitment to myself that I would never check out the Yankees’ coverage in the newspapers — and I didn’t. In four years there, I never read a Yankee article. That was liberating. I held no grudges against writers, and I never obsessed over how I was perceived. I wanted to be anonymous.”

Yeah, but, what about that day when Brosius got caught in those illegal poker games? Or, what about the day where he called a press conference to say that he no longer had sleep-overs at Jeter’s house? Or, what about when Scott got caught with the she-male stripper in Toronto? Or, what about the whole Madonna thing?

Oh…wait a minute…that’s another Yankees third-baseman that I must be thinking of…

Never mind.

Comments on Yo, Bro!

1. AndrewYF
      October 27th, 2008 | 9:45 pm

I think it’s safe to say, at least, that the current Yankee 3rd baseman is much more entertaining than Brosius was.

2. Corey
      October 27th, 2008 | 11:14 pm

On a personal note last year around this time I e-mailed Scott (as he is now a college baseball coach) to wish him luck on his future endeavors and to thank him for the memories, and he was very polite in his response. Class all the way,..

3. hallofamer2000
      October 27th, 2008 | 11:18 pm

Come on. You know the media hates A-Rod.

If someone saw Brosius at an illegal poker game, no one would care. If he was dating (insert female singer here), no one would care.

But since it’s a “big name Yankee” it’s a big deal. Brosius wasn’t; he was a mediocre hitter who was amazing one year, but God-awful the next year.

It’s clear that some media organizations have a clear bias against some Yankees. (See Joba fist-pump story while no one cares about K-Rod; Why does no one care about Vizcaino’s DWI?).

4. Corey
      October 28th, 2008 | 12:24 am

He was butter in the field tho…i can still close my eyes and see him making that pattened bare handed off balance throw on a charge

5. October 28th, 2008 | 7:49 am

~~Class all the way,..~~

Great story.

6. Jake1
      October 28th, 2008 | 8:34 am

If A-Rod had the starting pitching that Ferocious had he’d have 2 rings.

7. MJ
      October 28th, 2008 | 9:51 am

—————————-
      Classic WW post: insult A-Rod even when talking about someone else. Seriously, do you EVER tire of being negative? Why couldn’t you have just written a nice little post about a guy we all love (Brosius) and left it at that?

I’m not telling you what to write or how to write it but you do yourself no favors by constantly attacking/insulting, even when the situation doesn’t totally call for it.

8. October 28th, 2008 | 10:16 am

MJ – What, right now, in Yankeeland, is a “positive” story that you want to hear about?

Or, would any fanboy puff piece meet your need?

9. jmeisner
      October 28th, 2008 | 10:50 am

What’s a positive story? Uhhhh, the one you turned around in this very post. I think that was MJ’s point.

10. thenewguy
      October 28th, 2008 | 10:52 am

um, obviously the positive story in Yankeeland is this story on Brosius. If A-Rod had done something yesterday, like slept with a stripper, I don’t think MJ would have cared if you posted that story. It bothers him, and me, that you feel in absolutely necessary to deride a Yankee you don’t like, be it Hughes, Kennedy, A-Rod, even when the story has nothing to do with them. (And don’t say because Brosius played 3rd, and now A-Rod plays 3rd, that this story has anything to do with A-Rod.)

When Moose retires, do you think you will be able to resist attacking IPK, or will the post read something like “Moose Retires. No worries, Moose 2.0 is waiting in the wings in IPK… oh wait, IPK sucks.” Or do you think you will be able to have a Yankee story that you don’t insert some snide comment at the end?

11. thenewguy
      October 28th, 2008 | 10:57 am

Also, the underlying tone seems to suggest you would want Scott Brosius to play 3rd base instead of A-Rod. Where do you think this team would have been with even an excellent Brosius this year? I guess on the ‘Heart/Guts/Grit” scale we would have been through the roof. But we also probably would have lost 10 more games than we did, at least.

12. October 28th, 2008 | 10:58 am

~~Or do you think you will be able to have a Yankee story that you don’t insert some snide comment at the end?~~

Geez, that’s like asking Robby Cano not to swing at the first pitch; or, it’s like asking Derek Jeter to not date hot chicks. So, I suppose, the answer is: no.

Hey, we all do what we do.

I like to throw some lines out there at times. Others like to read blogs and piss and moan over the content. I don’t see myself changing any time soon – nor do I expect the pissers and moaners to stop any time soon either.

13. October 28th, 2008 | 10:59 am

~~So yes, NEVERMIND, because those A-Rod distractions have nothing to do with the baseball field.~~

However, as a fan, wanting to root for the team and it’s players, does it not adversley impact your ability to like the guy?

14. MJ
      October 28th, 2008 | 11:07 am

—————-
      You call this pissing and moaning?

Wow, dude, way to blatantly insult your readers.

15. thenewguy
      October 28th, 2008 | 11:08 am

Ha. I like the Cano and Jeter reference. And generally I find you comments at the end of posts more provoking than anything else, which, for a blog, is certainly a good thing.

And I do agree that that players should be liked by their fans. But we generally get on A-Rod for his personal life (which the media chooses to expose more than any other player.) I especially bothered by the media reports on Alex because none of the things you posted are all that bad. If you were a Mets fan, would you have disliked Piazza because of the extent he went to to say he wasn’t gay? It’s not like A-Rod is robbing banks, or pushing little girls into the mud (and apparently he isn’t even doing steroids, which should earn him mild praise in comparison to a large part of baseball.)

Basically, I think A-Rod gets an unfair rap. He probably donates lots of money to charity, probably goes to children’s hospitals in NY and Miami, and is probably a great guy in other community service events (which he is likely asked to do more of than, say, Scott Brosius.)

16. MJ
      October 28th, 2008 | 11:13 am

————————–
      And even if he doesn’t do anything of the sort, it still doesn’t warrant the kinds of attacks he’s subject to. But, far more salient to the conversation is this: it’s amazing that a post about Scott Brosius turns into an attack on A-Rod, even when A-Rod isn’t making news today.

17. MJ
      October 28th, 2008 | 11:17 am

Or, would any fanboy puff piece meet your need?
      ————————-
      Well, as jmeisner and thenewguy said, THIS was a positive story. But the truth is that I don’t need a positive story every day. If there’s nothing positive going on, then there’s certainly no obligation to manufacture news. Similarly, if there’s no negative news going on, there’s certainly no need to manufacture that either.

Bashing A-Rod for no reason doesn’t prove that you’re not a fanboy, just so you know. If you want to call me a fanboy, that’s your right. I don’t think I’m a fanboy just because I like A-Rod and think that constantly attacking him is ridiculous.

18. thenewguy
      October 28th, 2008 | 11:18 am

PS. It especially bothers me because I am sure that if A-Rod hit a game-winning homerun to win the ALCS or the WS, the media would probably ignore issues in his personal life for the rest of his career. The media is far to fickle when handling individual personalities. What about Kobe? Jordan’s obsessive gambling problem?

19. Jake1
      October 28th, 2008 | 2:30 pm

A-Rod does bring half this crap on himself.

Why cant he bang out chicks like Jeter? In the off season or behind closed doors.

20. MJ
      October 28th, 2008 | 2:44 pm

A-Rod does bring half this crap on himself.
      —————–
      To a certain extent, yes, that’s true. No one told him to call a press conference about the state of his friendship with Jeter and no one told him to waffle on his US/Dominican Republic WBC decision a couple of years ago.

That being said, who A-Rod chooses to cheat on his wife with is no one’s business and not relevant to anyone. Who cares if he dates a muscular stripper in Toronto or wants to sleep with a used-up 50 year old skank like Madonna? It’s just not that interesting or news-worthy. And, for some reason, when it comes to A-Rod, people talk about all that unimportant bullshit ad nauseum. It’s a shame and pretty unfair.

October 28th, 2008 | 3:29 pm

———–
      Probably not. Right or wrong, it appears people look for a reason to knock Rodriguez. He isn’t the first player to do what he did on the side, nor will he be the last. I don’t see it as a big deal, but as celebrity driven as some are (for the record, I’m not saying Steve is), some do.

22. OldYanksFan
      October 28th, 2008 | 5:19 pm

Steve… I am a big fan of your, wrote you encouraging EMails when you thought of packing it in, and still believe your site shows unbelievable creativity and dedication.

With that said……
      C’MON ALREADY!!!!
      Assassinate Cashman and ARod if you must, but cut out all these cheap shots.

Scotty was a great glove who had a career OPS+ of 94. In his last 3 years as a Yankee, his OPS+ was 88. ARod is one of the top 10, and maybe top 5 players to ever play the game.

To even compare these two is beyond rediculous.
      Everything about ARod that is NOT baseball statistics is made up by the press, desparate for something to write about. You are smart enough not to buy into the garbage

23. butchie22
      October 28th, 2008 | 5:28 pm

Was Jocelyn Pierce (his friend up in Canada) a she-male? If she was more pwer to her BECAUSE she is cuter than Madonna who might really be a she-male! An old one at that……

24. October 28th, 2008 | 5:31 pm

FWIW, later today, I’ll get back to ya’ll on some of the comments here.

25. thenewguy
      October 28th, 2008 | 6:45 pm

A-Rod might bring it on himself to an extent. But this guy is not T.O. or Chad Johnson. Why did he have a press conference about Jeter? Because the MEDIA made a huge deal about their relationship. Why do we have to hear about him seeing a sports pyschologist? Because every in the media is asking him about it.

I certainly don’t think his personality or off-field activities endear him to reporters, but to say he ‘brings it on himself’ is ridiculous when so many other players bring more things on themselves (like doing steroids, which, ya know, actually affects the legitimacy of the game of baseball) and don’t get censured for it like A-Rod does.