• Heyman: Sabathia & Holliday Bronx Bound?

Posted by on October 28th, 2008 · Comments (18)

Jon Heyman shares that many feel the Yankees are the favorite to get CC Sabathia and that Matt Holliday is on the Yankees radar. (Hat tip to BBTF.)

Reading this makes me wonder – could there be a contingency between the two? Would the Yankees have to get Sabathia in order to free up someone like Phil Hughes to be part of a package for Holliday? Related, would Austin Jackson have to also be part of the deal for Holliday? Further, if the Yankees pick up Holliday, would they try to long-term him? And, if they do, how would that look – meaning giving up Hughes and Jackson and then having to fork over money to Holliday – one year after the Johan Santana thing where Brian Cashman said that he didn’t want to give up prospect assets AND money to acquire a big name player?

So many questions…

Then again, what’s what speculation is all about, no?

Comments on Heyman: Sabathia & Holliday Bronx Bound?

1. butchie22
      October 28th, 2008 | 5:34 pm

Holliday seems like a long shot. The Yanks wouldn’t trade for 7 years of Santana why one bloody year of Holliday? Cash Man would shoot his load of prospects to get Holliday…it’s not worth it! If they can get him long term THEN the Yanks should think about it… just a little bit.

CC (according to JRoll) will end up in Yankee Empire Land. The Yanks will blow away any other offer hands down. Hopefully, no AJ! Please stay away from him let him stay with the Bluebirds of the Great White North. Let him get injured up there! Or better yet he can go to his dream team of the Blackbirds of Mary Land, he can add an injury element to a rebuilding team.

2. thenewguy
      October 28th, 2008 | 7:00 pm

Yes to CC. No to Holliday. I don’t like his home/road splits, and would much prefer Tex in all regards (position he plays, side(s) of the plate he bats from, and cost of prospects.)

My only fear is that the Yankees are going to be outbidding themselves to get CC, akin to the A-Rod deal.

3. OnceIWasAYankeeFan
      October 28th, 2008 | 7:42 pm

Uh, Teix bats from both sides of the plate.

There seems to be a similar consensus that the Red Sox could go for Holliday, a thought I despise.

Some days I’d just like to wake up and find that its Christmas, just so I can find out where people signed and not deal with all the B.S. that comes down before they sign. Just tell me the Red Sox and Yankee roster, whether the Rays or Blue Jays improved themselves, what the Cubs did to even out their lineup (wouldn’t mind Abreu though I agree he’d probably not even venture to the warning track, knowing its a brick wall under that ivy) and get it over with.

4. thenewguy
      October 28th, 2008 | 8:01 pm

Uh, Teix bats from both sides of the plate.
      ———————————

Yes. Hence my use of the plural, albeit in parenthesis to signify that Holliday only uses one side of the plate.

5. Corey
      October 28th, 2008 | 8:20 pm

I believe we’re being bated here, so I’m gonna bite. Maybe Cashman doesn’t think Hughes is that good anymore? Cashman has been saying how much he likes hughes a lot recently, and we all know what that leads to…

6. butchie22
      October 28th, 2008 | 11:41 pm

Once I Was, I’m not that impatient. The AL East teams you mentioned will all have other people on their teams…good or bad. Teix and CC to the Yanks, Fuentes and Lowe to Boston, Manny and Garland to the Blue Jays, and Giambi and Darren Oliver to the Rays. These picks are wishful thinking BUT would make the AL East that more interesting. One more prediction: AJ to the Blackbirds….he won’t make it past the first month!

Corey, Cash Man is an the planet of Uranus. I’ve had enough of his antics and meaningless GM speak. I see old fogie Gillick walking out into the sunset (with almost another WS ring) with half the payroll of the Yanks and much less of a drafting budget. And Gillick did this mostly with scouting and not sabremetrics..maybe Cash Man can learn something from his mentor.

7. October 29th, 2008 | 8:33 am

the thing that he said on WFAN yesterday that i dont think is in the article on SI.com is that Hideki Matsui was linked to the Mariners, and that Johnny Damon was linked to the White Sox, and (adding my opinion here) Damon could have a couple more suitors, too.

if you move Matsui and Damon, you clear the position and salary for a Holliday trade and exention, plus keep the DH spot open for Jorge shuld he not be able to catch all season.

now i normally dont care for Heyman or what he has to say, but i’m just sayin now… if you put the pieces together, it does make a lot of sense.

8. Jake1
      October 29th, 2008 | 8:41 am

9. Corey
      October 29th, 2008 | 9:26 am

=========================
      read my post…

10. October 29th, 2008 | 9:30 am

“They wouldnt trade Hughes for a lefty ace in his prime. Why would they trade him for a LF who has one yr left before FA?”

=Holliday would come with an extention offer already accepted upon… you arent trading for Holliday for one year of service.

and we dont know that Hughes would be a part of that deal… one can assume, but who really knows?

the Rockies have an excellent young CF ready to come up and patrol CF, maybe they’d make Austin Jackson the centerpiece in the deal to pair them up for the next 6-10 years, and then take more of a chance on the high ceiling arms lower in the system, like a Brackman or Betances.

maybe the Rockies would trade Holliday to the Yankees, but only if Cashman takes on half or all of Helton’s contract along with him?

its hard to anticipate what the Rockies value the most… purging salary? or a huge package of near mlb-ready prospects? or both? or maybe they’d rather take Robinson Cano and his relatively inexpensive contract and call it even?

we might never know that.

but it is fun to speculate.

11. OnceIWasAYankeeFan
      October 29th, 2008 | 9:40 am

newguy:
      D’OH! I noticed afterwards your parenthetical. Teach me not to read so quick.

TurnTwo:
      Holliday’s agent is the Spawn of Satan, if I’m not mistaken. He won’t take any offer until he’s tested free agency in a year. That’s why I can’t understand the presumed interest the Sox are supposed to have. The Rockies probably would have sent him away last year and gotten more for him, but after reaching the Series they didn’t want to break up the core of that team. But I can’t imagine anyone giving up a lot for a guy who could easily walk in a year.

12. OnceIWasAYankeeFan
      October 29th, 2008 | 9:42 am

And one other thought – wouldn’t you want to see what Holliday does away from Coors first before you commit to him? What if you only get his away splits going forward? Now you’ve paid, in players and cash, for inflated performance at his old park.

13. October 29th, 2008 | 9:53 am

“TurnTwo:
      Holliday’s agent is the Spawn of Satan, if I’m not mistaken. He won’t take any offer until he’s tested free agency in a year.”

except that Holliday has already said on the record that he isnt looking to break the bank for the highest offer, just a contract that is fair market value.

“But to say that I don’t want to be here (in Colorado) and that I’m headed to the open market to get the most money I can get is extremely inaccurate.”

… and ive heard him on the radio, during the all star break this season at the Stadium say basically the same thing, too.

he’s looking for long term security and fair market value.

14. thenewguy
      October 29th, 2008 | 12:23 pm

he’s looking for long term security and fair market value.
      —————————————–

Isn’t this a typical line from almost every athlete who isn’t completely upset with their situation? Especially those who play in smaller markets?
      It sounded to me that he wasn’t looking for ‘fair market value,’ but instead simply ‘long term security.’ But, of course, isn’t long term security ultimately about breaking the bank? So that in 7 years, when he is getting paid 23 million and is playing baseball at the clip of a 12 million/year player, THEN he is breaking the bank?
      It’s not like he is going to accept a 8 year/$80 mil deal. He wants to make sure that when he starts his decline, his contract isn’t affected.

15. October 29th, 2008 | 12:51 pm

“Don’t act as though he is taking any sort of moral highground here. He is doing what ALL players do, take guaranteed money, which comes in the form of long contracts.”

which is what i said, isnt it?

i never suggested he was taking a high moral ground, but moreso that he looks like he just wants a long term deal that is fair for what his numbers say he deserves.

now anyone can argue whether or not he’s worth it, because of the Coors effect, and thats where i feel the most argument would occur.

but he does seem genuine in the times that Ive heard him interviewed that all he wants is security, stability, and a chance to win.

he doesnt fit me, even though he a Boras client, as a guy who is going to the highest bidder just for the money alone.

16. rossdfarian
      October 31st, 2008 | 1:05 pm

To me, Bay and Holliday are basically the same player. I don’t know why Boston would want both.

I agree the price would be too high to bring Holliday over but I am not concerned by his home/road splits. Didn’t he perform well during the All-Star Game?

Can someone provide the links to the Matsui and Damon chatter? If we can send Matsui to the Nintendo Team, I think we help both sides. However, Damon was probably the most consistent Yankee in ’08 and really seems to want to be a part of the club. He’s a vocal leader and an all-around good guy. Let him play out his contract and mentor some younger guys.

17. OnceIWasAYankeeFan
      October 31st, 2008 | 7:08 pm

________________________

Isn’t that the ultimate in “small sample size”?

18. YankeeBaseball
      October 31st, 2008 | 9:44 pm

Regarding the Hughes speculation, he is absolutely not held in as high regard as he was last year when they refused to include him with Kennedy in the Santana trade. His velocity AND movement are down. He has become injury prone, PLUS his mechanics are in a shambles. He also seems like he can’t handle the pressure of NY. At this point, his upside looks no better than a middle of the rotation starter and I would have no qualms about trading him if we can fill a need with a good young player.

I have also soured on Kennedy. His stuff is nothing special, can’t handle the heat, plus has a obnoxious attitude. Say Goodbye.

Try this on for size: Hughes, Kennedy and Cano for Adrian Gonzalez and Peavy. Then sign Orlando Hudson to play 2nd. But I doubt the Pads would go for it…