• WasWatching.com Water Cooler Talk 11/3/08

Posted by on November 3rd, 2008 · Comments (8)

Feel free to use this post as a place for you to comment on anything Yankees-related (or within reach of tagging the bag of being Yankees-related on a decent slide) today. It could be a casual conversation offering, or, something you saw in the news, or something very detailed that you want to share that’s within the territory of Yankeeland.

Or, comment on something that someone else has posted here in the comments…

Have fun. Play nice. And, remember, keep it Yankees-focused.

Comments on WasWatching.com Water Cooler Talk 11/3/08

1. November 3rd, 2008 | 11:40 am

Let’s play fill in the blank!

I will ________ if the Yankees _______ this season.

2. antone
      November 3rd, 2008 | 12:31 pm

I saw that the Yankees might be interested in trading for Garrett Atkins from Colorado…I’m guessing that they would use him at 1B where he played 60 games and made 6 errors…his career home/road splits are not pretty either:

Home: .337/.394/.527/.921
      Road: .260/.328/.424/.752

I’m guessing most Yankees fans would look at those numbers and pass on him and I’m hoping Cashman doesn’t trade for him unless he gives up nothing.

3. EdB
      November 3rd, 2008 | 2:35 pm

Looking at those road numbers Adam Dunn is starting to look like a nice fallback to Tex.

4. antone
      November 3rd, 2008 | 3:10 pm

Dunn is pretty bad at first though isn’t he? I don’t really want to spend $80-$100 million on someone who could turn into the next Richie Sexson either.

As a side note, when I went to go look Dunn up on baseball reference, I noticed he has hit exactly 40 HRs for four years straight.

5. antone
      November 3rd, 2008 | 3:13 pm

What about bringing in Rocco Baldelli to play part time in CF? He’s probably loyal to the Rays though.

6. EdB
      November 3rd, 2008 | 3:17 pm

Yeah he’s a butcher at first but I really believe teams can afford a bad glove much easier than a bad bat. I’m sure we’d hear a bunch of Balboni/Kingman references but the difference is Dunn has a great OBP so even with a horrible batting avg you’ve still got a 900+ OPS 1b.

With Abreu and Giambi gone I really don’t seen any reason the team can’t end up with 2 key offensive acquisitions (among Tex, Dunn, Ramirez), sign a stud pitcher and be among the favorites to win it all next year.

7. antone
      November 3rd, 2008 | 3:29 pm

You know you are probably right because between Abreu($15m), Giambi($23m), Mussina($11m), and Pavano($10m)…that is $59m off the books and to sign Manny, Tex, Sabathia…but it might be worth it to sign a couple other players for less and spread it around a little bit.

Changing topics…I think the Brewers picked up the option on Mike Cameron, so Cashman won’t be able to go after him as a CF option.

8. Corey