• Jose Veras 2009

Posted by on November 13th, 2008 · Comments (7)

After not making it in the Rays and Rangers systems, it seems that Jose Veras has found himself with the Yankees. However, in his last 21 games of 2008, he faced 90 batters allowing a BA/OBA/SLG line of .297/.404/.554 (in 18.6 IP). The Yankees are counting on him as a potential set-up man to Mo Rivera and that may be a mistake.

Comments on Jose Veras 2009

1. AndrewYF
      November 13th, 2008 | 10:33 am

I think handing him the setup job is a mistake, but there can’t be any harm in him competing with several other candidates.

Like you, I have little faith in Veras’s ability to find the strike zone consistently. But, as we’ve seen with Bruney, a pitcher can learn these things.

I think the Yankees are hoping he becomes setup material, but I don’t believe they are *counting* on it.

November 13th, 2008 | 10:48 am

But, as we’ve seen with Bruney, a pitcher can learn these things.
      ————–
      I still don’t think Bruney can find the zone with any consistency.

3. AndrewYF
      November 13th, 2008 | 11:54 am

He’s certainly better than he was…and certainly better than Veras, who also has issues where the ball ends up when it actually is in the strike zone.

4. hallofamer2000
      November 13th, 2008 | 3:05 pm

I really wouldn’t worry about the pen. They have so many options if Edwar or Veras fail. Bruney, Marte, Robertson, Coke, Britton, Melancon, Cox, etc. I don’t see them handing Veras anything.

November 13th, 2008 | 4:09 pm

I don’t see them handing Veras anything.
      ——–
      And even if they did, and he stunk? Just switch him out for another piece.

6. March 2nd, 2009 | 10:57 pm

[...] the Yankees bullpen this season.  I’ve already documented concerns on Bruney, Ramirez and Veras.  That leaves Marte and some rookies to support Mo [...]

7. May 31st, 2009 | 8:30 am

[...] someone please tell me why this guy is still on the big league team? He was terrible in his last 21 games for the Yankees last season and he’s still terrible this year. Hey, Cashman, three words for [...]