• $80 Million Offer From Yanks To Burnett?

Posted by on November 18th, 2008 · Comments (23)

Via George King -

The Yankees, according to several industry insiders, spent yesterday preparing an offer – perhaps a five-year deal worth about $80 million – for Toronto righty A.J. Burnett.

Yeah, that Brian Cashman, he’s the Yankees savior!

It takes a keen baseball mind to throw $80 million dollars at A.J. Burnett to solve your pitching problems. Then again, compared to throwing $140+ million at a 290-pound pitcher, this might actually only be slightly crazy. But, it’s still crazy…nonetheless.

Comments on $80 Million Offer From Yanks To Burnett?

1. yankees27th
      November 18th, 2008 | 11:16 pm

The Marcel projection has Burnett at 190IP and a 3.87 FIP (fielding independent pitching). I’d say that’s worthy of 5 years/80 mil.
      What do you think he’s worth Steve?

2. Ken
      November 18th, 2008 | 11:34 pm

I have serious doubts about Burnett. It seems that his only two healthy years have been his contract years (no stats to back this up, I might look it up later if I’m not feeling so lazy).

Is he worth 80 over 5? Andy Petite got 16 million last year, and Burnett had a better year, so I don’t think 16 a year is completely crazy. 5 years for a guy with his *cough* durability *cough* is absolutely nuts.

Here’s my problem though. We can’t sit back and blast Ca$hman for throwing money at free agents, and then also blast him relying on young pitchers that are inexperienced, and or not ready yet, and or might never be good enough. (OK, so we can blast him for it, but it might be a tad unfair)

Sure, they’re overbidding for CC and AJ. But trying to go the money saver route (using not yet ready prospects and tommy-johnified vets) hasn’t worked either. So if they want to overpay Burnett and CC so that we “try” to be better now, AND let Joba, Hughes, and whoever else develop more so we can be better and have a more reasonably salaried rotation in the future, then that’s fine with me.

3. AndrewYF
      November 18th, 2008 | 11:49 pm

Of course, George King’s ‘scoop’ turns out to be completely false, as usual, according to Kat O’Brien.

Also, the Red Sox are hot after Burnett now, too. I would gladly let the Red Sox have him, and watch him struggle to approach 150 innings year after year.

November 19th, 2008 | 2:12 am

Not crazy, stupid…

5. butchie22
      November 19th, 2008 | 2:59 am

Aj Burnett? Boston wants him too? Theo must be much stupider than I thought he was. If only Kay or one of the Yankee shills had a Toronto beat writer to describe what kind of malcontent he is …. and a soft player to boot. He had troubles in Toronto even though Arnsberg(his Marlin’s pitching coach)was up there, he became good buds with Halladay AND the media is so hockey focused. Burnett can’t make it in NY, he’s not a NY type of player.

Burnett is not a spring chicken either. 5 years for a seemingly perpertual DL candidate is a bit much. Can I see a pitching starved team like Texas offer him 5/90 mill? Sure. But the Yankees? What is the braintrust drinking Cash Man Kool Aid? AJ would be smart to see how much he can milk from the BlueBirds and go back there because it’s somewhat ideal for him. Boston or NYC will rip him alive when he becomes the new American Idle!

People are mentioning 150 IP and 190 IP for AJ? He’s lucky of he hits 100 in each of his seasons. It wouldn’t be a sursprise either if he pulls a Pavano and misses two years and then Waldman, Sterling, Kay etc so on will definitely read him the riot act.

6. MJ
      November 19th, 2008 | 9:11 am

If Burnett is a Yankee next year, I’m not at Yankee Stadium for as long as Cashman is the GM or Burnett is in pinstripes.

7. November 19th, 2008 | 9:19 am

Cashman has the power within the organization to say “No!” to a deal that would bring the Yankees Johan Santana. So, you would expect that he also has the power to say “No!” to an offer to bring in Burnett. Therefore, if the Yankees do offer Burnett $80 million for 5 years, and he takes it, this is all on Cashman, in my book.

To the question of what would I offer Burnett…

He’s probably only good for 25 starts a season, and 12 wins, with an ERA around 4-ish. That should be the expectation. Sure, he could do better or worse – but that’s hard to predict. I feel comfortable around 25/12/4 with him – so, if I had to make him an offer, I would stick to something around three years for $13 million a year. And, if that’s not good enough, so be it.

8. OnceIWasAYankeeFan
      November 19th, 2008 | 10:09 am

I don’t understand the reports of the Red Sox being “fully engaged” and don’t like the idea at all … but it just occurred to me – is it possible that Theo feels that his pitching depth is a way around the whole problem of Burnett’s inconsistent “availability”? Possibly using Masterson or Bowden as insurance against Burnett missing time, while also controlling their innings? That might be his thinking that it makes it tolerable to go after a “high risk, high reward” type like Burnett.

Of course, Theo has been specializing in the “low risk, high reward” type of find instead.

9. MJ
      November 19th, 2008 | 10:12 am

——————
      I guess it’s possible but, if we assume the market for Burnett begins at $60M, that’s a pretty expensive insurance policy for Bowden/Masterson. Especially when you consider that Bowden/Masterson would be seen as insurance policies against Burnett, who is bound to be injured at some point soon.

10. OnceIWasAYankeeFan
      November 19th, 2008 | 10:30 am

I wasn’t clear – Masterson/Bowden become insurance policies, for the first couple of seasons, for Burnett. If you make Masterson an untouchable, which I am pretty sure he is, given his flexibility, you could always stretch him out if Burnett goes down with something serious. I wouldn’t like the idea of moving him back and forth, I think he should be a starter until the league proves that he should be a setup guy, but I do wonder if Theo thinks he has the depth to handle Burnett’s inevitable injuries.

Again I am not in favor of it, just trying to find a reason why Theo would apparently be “fully engaged”.

November 19th, 2008 | 10:38 am

—–
      You would expect that, but after last season, I can see him being overruled.

Anyway, as I said before it’s ridiculous to offer him a long term contract. I’d make an offer to Ben Sheets before Burnett. Hell, I’d make an offer to Kris Benson, Matt Clement, or Bartolo Colon before I’d make an offer to Burnett. Hell, I’d sign Farnsworth with the intention of making him a starter before I’d sign Burnett…

12. MJ
      November 19th, 2008 | 10:41 am

You would expect that, but after last season, I can see him being overruled.
      ————–
      Frankly, if that’s the case, Cashman should’ve been let go or had the good sense to leave. If the Steinbrenners intend on overruling the guy they are paying to make decisions they should’ve just had a puppet.

13. OnceIWasAYankeeFan
      November 19th, 2008 | 10:44 am

That’s actually a harder call, IMO, because Sheets has a better record of dominance but a worse record of injuries, if I’m not mistaken. Sheets probably gets a two year deal somewhere, maybe two with a vesting option, but I can see Burnett getting more years guaranteed.

14. butchie22
      November 19th, 2008 | 11:05 am

Steve, the problem with 13 mill a year for three years is that Toronto already has offered him 13.5 per year for 4 years and AJ has no incentive to come to NYC otherwise. The Yanks would have to blow him away and that is unfortunately what they are doing.

Sheets? He makes Burnett look like Lou Gehrig! He might get some kind of contract from a pitching deperate team but woe to the team that actually signs him. He’s an accident waiting to happen.

The young guys would be an insurance plan for Burnett? They are definitely drinking some tainted moonshine. You don’t pay someone 16 mill a year to have aan insurance policy. That’s 2a money these days……If the Aj talk is true in Boston,then they have issues with their front office as well. AS much as I like Theo and Co, look at how injured , soft and assholish Burnett can be AND he doesn’t get along with the press in Toronto either.

15. OnceIWasAYankeeFan
      November 19th, 2008 | 11:13 am

Well, there is word out of KC that Coco Crisp was traded for the Royals young and effective set up man, Ramon Ramirez, who struck out 70 in 72 innings with a 2.64 ERA and only two home runs. If true, the obvious implication is that the Red Sox are inclined to use Masterson as a starter, which negates the Burnett pursuit before its really started.

From what I’ve read I like this deal except for the fact that the set-up guy doesn’t have a great history of success. But he’s young, controlled for four more years, if you figure he took Timlin’s spot, its a huge upgrade.

November 19th, 2008 | 11:22 am

————–
      He’s a cheap bullpen arm; if he doesn’t work out, there are others who will replace him.

17. OnceIWasAYankeeFan
      November 19th, 2008 | 1:02 pm

Well, this trade could be an opportunity to revisit one of Cashman’s deals – Ramirez came to the Rockies from the Yanks in the Shaun Chacon deal.

And looking closer at his stats, its an easy argument to make that he could/should take Masterson’s spot in the bullpen: they both kill righties. He held righthanders to a .153 average in 137 at-bats, the lowest in the AL and third in majors among pitchers with at least 50 games. Only the Cubs’ Carlos Marmol (.103) and Philadelphia’s Brad Lidge (.105) ranked higher. In his career, Ramirez has held righties to a .198 clip with an OPS of .586.

Those are the type of stats that made Masterson look like he has great potential as a middle reliever.

18. butchie22
      November 19th, 2008 | 1:43 pm

Masterson? I called for Masterson to be in the rotation and for Boston to shore up their bullpen. Good job , Theo and Co. This is the adjustment they need Not AJ or not Teix since Lowell is so well cast to Fenway and is a great clubhouse guy(especially on that team). Theo should get another arm and his team is good to go. What I like about the Red Sox brain trust is that they make the really esentail adjustments like this one. BUT if that scuttlebutt about Teix and AJ is true then I’m saying …what the hell! Boston should save the money to resign Beckett or for another starter whose name is not Allan James…..

November 19th, 2008 | 2:29 pm

Why is it a big deal that he doesn’t get along with the press? Barry Bonds and Eddie Murray and Steve Carlton didn’t get along with the press, and it didn’t impact their careers…

November 19th, 2008 | 2:34 pm

—–
      Interesting you mention Beckett as both are quite similar in that they were talented but injury prone.

21. MJ
      November 19th, 2008 | 4:18 pm

—————-
      Not really, no. Ramirez’s potential success in Boston or anywhere else should not get people second-guessing Cashman’s trade. He traded an expendable bullpen arm for a pitcher that ended up pitching the Yankees into the playoffs, including saving their ass in Game 4 of the 2005 ALDS.

No revisiting necessary…unless you’re from the NY Post or a silly Red Sox fan trying to sling mud on a total non-issue.

22. OnceIWasAYankeeFan
      November 19th, 2008 | 7:38 pm

Or the silly Red Sox fan is tweaking our host over his proclivity to blame Cashman for things no rational person would consider.

23. December 8th, 2008 | 11:43 pm