• WasWatching.com Water Cooler Talk 11/18/08

Posted by on November 18th, 2008 · Comments (15)

Feel free to use this post as a place for you to comment on anything Yankees-related (or within reach of tagging the bag of being Yankees-related on a decent slide) today. It could be a casual conversation offering, or, something you saw in the news, or something very detailed that you want to share that’s within the territory of Yankeeland.

Or, comment on something that someone else has posted here in the comments…

Have fun. Play nice. And, remember, keep it Yankees-focused.

Comments on WasWatching.com Water Cooler Talk 11/18/08

1. Corey
      November 18th, 2008 | 9:16 am

ok lets play worst case scenario, CC Burnett AND Lowe sign elsewhere. What do you do?

2. antone
      November 18th, 2008 | 9:56 am

Burnett won’t be signing elsewhere if this is true:

King says the Yankees are preparing an offer for A.J. Burnett, “perhaps a five-year deal worth about $80 million.” Hard to say if those numbers are a guess or inside information. It would be a strong offer, dwarfing the Blue Jays’ four years, $54MM.

5 years seems excessive for a pitcher who is always hurt.

3. Corey
      November 18th, 2008 | 11:29 am

i hope that report is just a rumor, 5 years of burnett is a bit excessive. I would overpay him for 3, but 5 seems a bit much.

November 18th, 2008 | 11:40 am

More on Rasner heading to Japan

Good for him, and best of luck. Sounds like a pretty good guy. People that I’ve known who’ve gone there say it’s a bit of a culture shock, but an awesome experience once you get used to it.

5. MJ
      November 18th, 2008 | 11:54 am

————————
      Do a dance of joy. I don’t want an old fart who got lit up the last time he was a fulltime AL starter (Lowe) or a guy with great stuff but whose numbers scream oft-injured mediocrity (AJ “Pavano” Burnett).

The Yanks should let both of them pass.

6. YankCrank
      November 18th, 2008 | 12:02 pm

“Do a dance of joy.” MJ, the question was if those and AND CC didn’t sign. Then what do you do?

The only scenario I can think of is to sign Pettitte, beg for Mussina to come out of retirement, try to make a reasonable trade for another middle-tier starter or sign another middle-tire starter (Oliver Perez) then throw your big money at Mark Texiera to try and boost the offense in a way that help you slug your way to some extra wins.

I know none of that is ideal but, it would be the only realistic choice.

7. Corey
      November 18th, 2008 | 1:16 pm

middle-tire starter (Oliver Perez)
      =========
      lets say perez is demanding a big contract, i.e. 5 years at lets say 15 a year, would u do that? He IS a Boras client. That would give u a rotation of Wang, Joba, Pettitte, Moose, and Perez. Think that’ll get it done? If this happens we may be in for a long year next year

November 18th, 2008 | 2:25 pm

————-
      If I’m sitting in an office with Boras, and he says that with a straight face, I’d reach for the phone and ask for the guys with the butterfly nets…

9. Corey
      November 18th, 2008 | 2:38 pm

You don’t think he’d ask for that? Perez is a relatively young lefty starter with success at the major league level. You and I may not like him, but that doesn’t mean my previous statement is false.

10. antone
      November 18th, 2008 | 2:49 pm

Dustin Pedroia has more MVPs than Derek Jeter

11. butchie22
      November 18th, 2008 | 2:50 pm

Someone said sign Burnett for three,unh? Look at the three years he spent in Toronto with his best buddy Halladay, his beloved pitching coach Arnsberg(from the Marlins) AND a less pressurized enivironment: he was injured for the majority of his Blue Jay run, pissed off the fans AND the press. And the dunderheads in the Yankee front office want this guy? He is not a NY type of player. If AJ comes to the Yankees , 3rd place will be assured and the Yankee shills like Kay, Waldman, Jones and Sterling WILL turn on him the second they see this guy with his mask off. All these dumb shills want him, but they only see him when he shells the Yankees NOT when he struggles against the likes of the BLackbirds, The Sunrays of St Pete and the rest of the AL. This is the beginning of the end, folks…….

12. MJ
      November 18th, 2008 | 2:52 pm

Yankees.com is running a story from the NY Post about 5Y/80M for AJ Burnett. Normally when I see the Post attributed to a story I know it’s crap but if the Yankees website is picking it up, I am now officially worried.

If the Yanks end up with AJ Burnett for 5 years and $80M I won’t know whether to cry or go crazy. Who is running the show? One of the Steinbrenners? Cashman? Someone else? How is this sensible? How was Teixeira not targeted as a better investment than Burnett?

I’ve got a 1/9th share of a full-season plan (2 seats; 9 games per year). If Burnett’s a Yankee, those 9 games are immediately available. I won’t set foot in the ballpark for as long as he’s on the team.

November 18th, 2008 | 3:08 pm

You don’t think he’d ask for that?
      ———–
      I think he would ask for more. I think he’s crazy for doing so. I think it’s crazier that someone may actually give it to him.

I’d take a flyer on him, nothing more than that.

14. thenewguy
      November 18th, 2008 | 7:54 pm

I want nothing to do with Oliver Perez. I would think that if one team knew not to sign him that team would be the NY team he didn’t play for. Seriously, have you guys watched the games he pitched? As terrible as Fantasy Baseball is as a gauge, some of Perez’s games were so bad that he would kill a team’s pitching stats for the entire week. 2/3 IP 7 ER and things like that. Sure, he could go out and give you 8IP 1 ER 11Ks (if he were pitching against the Yanks), but all-in-all Perez DEFINES erratic. He can be an extremely good pitcher, but is terribly inconsistent and not worth anything more than 10 (maybe 12) million. And even then I wouldn’t really want him on my team.

15. Corey
      November 18th, 2008 | 8:43 pm

Hey MJ if your any bit of serious, and he does sign, drop me a line :)