• Andy Pettitte 2009

Posted by on November 23rd, 2008 · Comments (6)

In his first 22 starts of 2008, Andy Pettitte’s ERA was 3.76 (in 139 IP). In the two starts that followed, he allowed 14 runs in 10.3 IP. Then, a report said Pettitte had stiffness in his left arm. Pettitte denied the report. In his final 9 starts, Pettitte’s ERA was 5.10 (in 54.6 IP). Sounds like the report was correct.

Assuming what bothered Pettitte in 2008 can be cured with off-season rest, I think the Yankees should bring him back for 2009. He can handle New York. He’s good for 200 IP and around 15 wins. He’s left-handed. What’s not to like about that? And, the Yankees rotation, right now, should welcome an addition like this…if you ask me.

Comments on Andy Pettitte 2009

1. OnceIWasAYankeeFan
      November 23rd, 2008 | 11:15 am

There have been multiple reports that the Yanks want Pettitte to take a cut from his 16 million dollar salary. Certainly the Yanks are in no rush to come to an agreement like they were last year, when Andy announced he wanted to return and the next thing you knew a deal was done.

Its also been noted that Ryan Dempster will make a pretty big salary next year, and would Andy agree to be paid less?

So my question is, should the Yankees insist on a pay cut? And does making Andy wait while they see what’s out there on the Free Agent Shelf risk alienating him, possibly allowing Houston another crack at him?

November 23rd, 2008 | 12:27 pm

So my question is, should the Yankees insist on a pay cut?
      ——–
      Given the market, probably not.

3. BILLSTYLE
      November 23rd, 2008 | 12:41 pm

Give Pettitte what he wants, for the exact reasons stated in the post…”He can handle New York. He’s good for 200 IP and around 15 wins. He’s left-handed.”

I just don’t think he should be relied on as a #2 or #3 starter like he was last year.

Now the question to ask is, Is a #4 or #5 starter worth $16mil?

4. November 23rd, 2008 | 4:46 pm

Personally, I think if you offered Pettitte a contract for $14 million for 2009, with a player option for 2010 at $16 million that only vests if he pitches 200 IP in 2009…he’d probably take it.

5. BILLSTYLE
      November 23rd, 2008 | 7:04 pm

Agreed. Why are the Yankees so hesitant to do something like this though? Seems they won’t budge from the $10-12 million range.

I don’t see him going anywhere else, including back to Houston. I think Andy really wants to pitch in the new stadium, and have another shot at winning.

6. butchie22
      November 24th, 2008 | 3:11 pm

Steve, I like that situation you just described for Pettitte, that’s a fair deal for both parties. The Yankees are nickeling and diming Pettitte and willing to give up the ship for Burnett and CC ? The inmates are really running the asylum……..