• Sid And Nancy (1986)

Posted by on November 23rd, 2008 · Comments (6)

Oh, tales to tell on why this is a favorite of mine…

First, I was a wanna-be-punk rocker in the early-to-mid ’80s. White-collar professional during the weekdays. Biker-jacket and chains at night and the weekends.

Second, I was into the music and story of the Pistols – and I loved Deborah Spungen’s book “And I Don’t Want to Live This Life.”

Third, I got lucky on this one – my friend Mike and his (then) girl-friend (now wife) Lisa had won tickets to see a sneak-preview showing of this movie in New York City. At the time, I had just broken-up with my girl-friend of three years and was somewhat bummed. Knowing I was into this stuff and was now down, Mike and Lisa asked me to join them to see the show. That was very cool.

Plus, the night we went, was the same night as Game 6 of the NLCS. And, while I wanted to see the Mets lose, it was very interesting to see Manhattan go nuts after the Mets won.

Lastly, Gary Oldman. Is he an actor’s actor, or what?

Comments on Sid And Nancy (1986)

1. Corey
      November 23rd, 2008 | 11:15 am

First, I was a wanna-be-punk rocker in the early-to-mid ’80s.
      ==================
      that was me late early 00s to mid 00s

November 23rd, 2008 | 12:28 pm

First, I was a wanna-be-punk rocker in the early-to-mid ’80s.
      —————-
      pics? :D

3. November 23rd, 2008 | 4:47 pm

Vey few exist – and those that do are hard to find – - and they should probably stay that way!

November 24th, 2008 | 10:34 am

lol… It’s always funny to see how people were back in the day :)

I agree that those pictures probably should never see the light of day again. I’m pretty sure we all have a shoebox of pictures like that either in our possession or possession of family :D

5. butchie22
      November 24th, 2008 | 1:21 pm

I have a friend that is mistaken for Oldham all the time…he’s really popular with punker chicks BTW! Good movie, that Criterion Collection DVD was supposed to be the bomb, I hope they get the rights again to do it on Blu-Ray. Steve were kinda like the Adrien Brody character in “Summer of Sam”(fish out of water in his own neighborhood as a punk)?

6. November 24th, 2008 | 2:41 pm

Was I a fish out of water like Brody in that SOS flick? No, it wasn’t like that.

Actually, from the time I was about 16 until the time I was about 27, my lines were very blurred.

I was really into sports, watching them and playing them, as well as working out at the gym. So, I fit in with the jock crowd.

But, I was also into music – first “rock” and then “punk/nu-wave” (and then later house/free-style/etc.). So, I also fit in with the music crowd.

And, I was also into math and sci-fi and stuff like that. So, I also fit in with the “geek” crowd (for lack of a better name).

As such, my attire and the like usually morphed into whatever crowd I was hanging with at that particular moment. But, I never had one “look” that was my 24/7 persona – enough to make me look like a fish out of water in the course of everyday life.