• WasWatching.com Water Cooler Talk 11/24/08

Posted by on November 24th, 2008 · Comments (12)

Feel free to use this post as a place for you to comment on anything Yankees-related (or within reach of tagging the bag of being Yankees-related on a decent slide) today. It could be a casual conversation offering, or, something you saw in the news, or something very detailed that you want to share that’s within the territory of Yankeeland.

Or, comment on something that someone else has posted here in the comments…

Have fun. Play nice. And, remember, keep it Yankees-focused.

Comments on WasWatching.com Water Cooler Talk 11/24/08

1. November 24th, 2008 | 9:01 am

If the Yanks can’t sign the top free agents (CC/Teix/Lowe), are they better off passing on over-priced risky options (Sheets) and giving a few internal options a chance (ie.Aceves/Hughes/Coke)?

2. November 24th, 2008 | 9:46 am

I’m sort of torn on this.

If the option is Oliver Perez instead of CC or Lowe, then, yes, I would hope to give the kids another shot.

But, if the option is Ben Sheets and/of Jon Garland, then, maybe it makes sense?

After all, when the Yanks missed on Greg Maddux, back when, and then signed Jimmy Key, it worked out.

The key (no pun intended) is just to really do your homework on the Plan B guys to ensure you’re not knee-jerking into a mistake (see Jaret Wright).

November 24th, 2008 | 10:17 am

Jimmy Key, while he may have suffered injuries in the Jays system, he managed to throw 200+ innings several times. I loved watching him pitch, I think I made every one of his NY starts in 93, and was bummed when he got hurt in 95.

Jaret Wright, OTOH, was a bad move no matter which way you cut it.

I would give Ben Sheets a look, he is like Key in that he has been effective when healthy, and to me is a better option than Burnett.

4. Corey
      November 24th, 2008 | 10:36 am

===========
      agreed, i’d rather give sheets 2-3 yrs vs burnett 5

5. YankCrank
      November 24th, 2008 | 12:04 pm

The thing about Sheets is we have no clue what he wants for years and cost. I think he’s sitting back to see how the market develops for CC and Burnett and then we’ll hear what he’s looking for. I’d have no problem taking a chance on Sheets if Burnett asks for 5 years or an annual salary over $15 million…both of which are likely.

November 24th, 2008 | 12:21 pm

Still couldn’t hurt to make him an offer… It’s like Pavano & Clement back in 04. Clement was the better pitcher up to that point, but got a lesser deal from the Red Sox.

7. YankCrank
      November 24th, 2008 | 1:52 pm

So if we lose out on Tex and can’t find another reasonable bat, who’ll be our 3 hitter? Matsui? Posada?

I say Matsui.

8. Corey
      November 24th, 2008 | 3:44 pm

maybe cano at the 3 hole? get him some good pitches to hit

November 24th, 2008 | 4:02 pm

I say move everyone up a spot in the order, so Rodriguez would be the #3 hitter in the lineup.

10. Corey
      November 24th, 2008 | 4:57 pm

the reason i say cano is when he’s down lower in the order, pitchers can afford to throw him junk (which he will swing at no matter what) whereas if A-Rod is behind him, they will have to throw him at least a pitch or two to hit per AB (Even if he doesn’t take that many walks)

November 24th, 2008 | 6:09 pm

Pitchers will continue to throw Cano junk because he will swing at it and get himself out.

12. marmeduke
      November 24th, 2008 | 7:58 pm

Matsui would be the first choice. Possibly Cano when he gets hot. But Matsui is a professional hitter and should do at least as well as Abreau and I think probably better. Girardi is going to want to keep the lefty/righty/lefty thing so Arod stays at 4. Also, on Burnett…I think people have to keep in mind that he would be slotted at best at the number 3 hole if Sabathia is signed behind CC and Wang. And Burnett as a number 3 starter should be terrific if he stays healthy. Of course this is a big ‘if’. But with his stuff vs Sheets or Garland or almost anyone else, as the number 3 starter he is the best option. Try to remember he isn’t being recruited to be the number 1 and probably not the number 2. Hell, if Joba comes through Burnett could wind up the number 4 starter. This from one of the top 3 number 2′s in the game last year. Not bad at all!!