• Pettitte To The Dodgers?

Posted by on November 25th, 2008 · Comments (24)

Via mlb.com -

The Dodgers need pitching and Andy Pettitte wants to pitch: sounds like a possible match.

The left-handed veteran has indicated interest in returning to the Yankees, but the club is currently preoccupied in its chase of CC Sabathia, A.J. Burnett and possibly Derek Lowe.

Pitching in Los Angeles is not a tremendous reach for Pettitte, who has worn pinstripes in 11 of his 14 years in the big leagues.

Pettitte’s former manager, Joe Torre, has a year under his belt in the same capacity with the Dodgers and according to a report by Ken Rosenthal on Foxsports.com, the two have spoken on numerous occasions about Pettitte pitching for the Dodgers.

Man, if the Yankees make the same mistake that they did five years ago, well, I’ll be ticked. How about you?

Comments on Pettitte To The Dodgers?

1. jane
      November 25th, 2008 | 9:32 pm

Pettitte felt slighted the last time the Yankees dragged their feet on him. So why is anyone surprised he’d react the same way? He doesn’t want to take a pay cut. No surprise there either. I say he’ll be wearing Dodger blue next season – and I won’t be happy about it.

2. thenewguy
      November 25th, 2008 | 9:39 pm

For all the talk about needing to sign FA pitchers, it is absolutely RIDICULOUS that Pettitte hasn’t been re-signed. He is the one guy the Yankees know they can get- and with a one year deal likely. What the hell are they waiting for? His price to come down 2-4 mil? If the Yankees replace Pettitte with Lowe, I might shoot myself.

I won’t be ‘tickled,’ Steve. I’ll be damn pissed off. This one, also, could go straight to you laundry list of Cashman complaints.

November 25th, 2008 | 10:05 pm

Pettitte went to the Astros and promptly blew out his elbow. I can only imagine the reaction had he signed here and done the same.

4. JeremyM
      November 25th, 2008 | 11:41 pm

Raf, it wouldn’t be any different that the reaction Posada got when he blew out his shoulder. Pettitte pitched well the other two years of that deal, overall.

5. OldYanksFan
      November 26th, 2008 | 12:08 am

“I won’t be ‘tickled,’ Steve. I’ll be damn pissed off.”
      I second that. Truth is, Andy didn’t earn his $16m last year, and certainly isn’t worth $16m this year. However, I can’t imagine why the Yanks haven’t offered him $12m to at least start a negotiation.

And yes, unless Cashman knows something we don’t, letting Andy go will be a HUGE mistake.

6. Tex Antoine
      November 26th, 2008 | 7:12 am

Can we get real here for just a second? The reason Pettitte left the first time has been well-documented, He left because he was having an affair with a woman in NYC and his wife demanded that he come back home to pitch. This nonsense about how the Yankees stupidly let him go has got to stop. He’s a hypocrite, an admitted steroid user, and a .500 pitcher with a history of arm trouble, They should be paying his plane fare out of town.

7. November 26th, 2008 | 8:56 am

The affair rumor is well documented? Really? Where?

8. Corey
      November 26th, 2008 | 9:15 am

=========

lol do you know any women? If this were true, his wife would not have let andy come back to pitch …

9. antone
      November 26th, 2008 | 9:31 am

If the Yankee keep messing around they are going to be left with Jon Garland, Oliver Perez, Wang, Joba, and Hughes in their rotation. I’m already planning on this team missing the playoffs next season, so I won’t be disappointed if it happens.

10. MJ
      November 26th, 2008 | 9:55 am

——————
      So people think it’s reasonable to pay Pettitte $16M again for the kind of crap he gave the team in the 2nd half? I love Andy Pettitte, I respect Andy Pettitte, and I participated in P46 last year. But if Andy Pettitte feels that a pay cut for declining performance is somehow unfair then he should certainly go out and get whatever he can get on the open market.

I’m not opposed to overpaying but the Yanks aren’t a charity and shouldn’t throw an extra fistful of millions at Pettitte to thank him for being his gutty, gritty self. I’ll miss him but I won’t blame Cashman for not overpaying for a pitcher near the end of his career.

November 26th, 2008 | 10:03 am

———–
      Depends on who they replace him with.

12. November 26th, 2008 | 10:05 am

MJ – how come, when someone says “A-Rod did not perform like a $25 million player this year” you’re quick to say that the salary has nothing to do with his performance being good or bad. And, yet, now, you’re saying that Pettitte didn’t pitch like a $16 million pitcher last season?

November 26th, 2008 | 10:10 am

——-
      But still, you have to find the way this is going down to be odd, no? Not even a contract offer? I would’ve thought that after Mussina made his retirement official that the two sides would hammer something out?

November 26th, 2008 | 10:13 am

The affair rumor is well documented? Really? Where?
      —–
      I don’t know about well documented, but wasn’t it mentioned here?

15. MJ
      November 26th, 2008 | 10:16 am

—————–
      Because A-Rod is the best player on the team, one of the best players in baseball, and contributes more to the Yanks W-L record than any other player on the team by a very wide margin.

I don’t think it’s unreasonable to ask Andy Pettitte to sign a contract that is commensurate with what he produced most recently. Look, it’s not my fault Andy pitched like crud in a walk year. The last time A-Rod had a contract negotiation, he only put up the best season by a righty hitter in Yankee history.

November 26th, 2008 | 10:18 am

Quick research shows this stemmed from a Fox News report;

Blind as a Bat
      We were pretty upset when this professional sports player decided to leave New York. We thought it was for more money, but we were wrong.

For years this guy professed to have a “special relationship with God.” But it turns out he had a special relationship with a woman who was not his wife. When the wife found out, she went ballistic. The player had two choices: stay in New York with his mistress, or return home and play with a new team.

Wisely, he chose the latter, which was why you didn’t hear the thunder that usually accompanies such transactions. His New York employer knew the score, and had to acquiesce. Sometimes being a sport is more important than playing one.

17. MJ
      November 26th, 2008 | 10:20 am

————–
      Agree that it’s odd that the two sides haven’t made progress. But it takes two to tango so I’m not going to lay all the blame at Cashman’s feet. Henrdricks and Pettitte saying they want to stay in NY is all well and good but they don’t seem willing to compromise on the numbers so if Andy leaves, it’s not entirely management’s fault.

18. Corey
      November 26th, 2008 | 12:25 pm

so if this rumor is true, why would his wife allow him to come back to new york? That doesn’t make sense friends…

19. butchie22
      November 26th, 2008 | 12:51 pm

Corey, I agree with your logic. Cash Man and the Tankees probably planted this blind item. Why would Laura let him come back to the den of inquity called NYC if that was true.? The Yanks gave him an offer he could refuse and that was the end of that, they dissed him. Now the inmates in the asylum are doing the same stupid thing again. Burnett over Pettitte? what are they are crack? Burnett has never pitched a big game in his life, NEVER! They should be open on all fronts talking to Pettite AND Garland and Perez as well. I’m not saying they should sign Perez or Garland but just don’t come out and try to blow away the overrated three(CC, Lowe, and AJ) and have nothing to show for it. Anyway, they need Pettitte and they are dicking around again….nice job, Cash Man!

November 26th, 2008 | 1:12 pm

—-
      A lot can happen in 3 years, we have no idea as to what goes on in the Pettitte household.

Anyway, for all we know, Pettitte was allowed to go to Houston because of issues with his elbow, which showed up in 04. For all we know, the Yanks are distancing themselves from Pettitte due to findings in the Mitchell report.

Or maybe they’re scared off by the arm issue he had last year?

They need to stay away from Garland AND Perez. If one of them are signed by the Yanks, I will be highly annoyed.

21. Corey
      November 26th, 2008 | 4:43 pm

==========
      lol i GUESS…

22. butchie22
      November 26th, 2008 | 5:16 pm

It still smells like a big bag of Yankee BS. Another salt/pepper retort,mate? It didn’t work this bloody time either!Sorry, they offered Pettitte that goofy one year plus incentive deal he was dissed, that’s what it boiled down to. I highly doubt that any affair had anything to do to it. What goes on in the Pettitte household? UNH? I have absolutely no proof that that rumor is true(it sounds like a Yankee planted statement to make Pettitte look bad). I also highly doubt that the Mitchell report has anything to do with it ,too. The Yankees had a ton of players that did that crap when Cash Man was GM what would change now?

What happened three years ago was that the Yankees screwed up with Pettitte and it gave Boston an in to their first championship in 86 years. I did business with a lot of New Englanders and they were jubilating when Pettitte wasn’t signed. I hate that whole Yankee contingent that gave weak excuses that he wanted to go home, he had elbow issues and now some unsubstantiated rumor that Pettitte was shacking up with another woman….all BS! The Yanks made a bad call and are doing so again.

Someone mentioned Garland and Perez….welcome to Burnett making 18 a year, Perez 15 and Garland 13 probably on the Yankees. I’m just preparing you all for the inevitable. And after that Manny! Don’t be surprised if he shows up either. All these revisionist Yankee fans who don’t like facial hair and want all good guys don’t remember the Bronx Zoo.

23. jmeisner
      November 27th, 2008 | 1:09 am

… Interesting thread. The Yankees should offer Pettitte something like $13m and tell him to take it or leave it. This Dodgers rumor is nonsense, it’s just posturing my his agent probably. Couldn’t agree more with the poster who said we don’t need to overpay for his “grittiness”.

November 29th, 2008 | 10:24 am

——-
      Pettitte missed much of 04 with an elbow injury.

Rivera blowing saves in games 4 & 5 was a bigger culprit than the Yanks not signing Pettitte