• The Matrix (1999)

Posted by on November 27th, 2008 · Comments (7)

When I went to see this one, in the Spring of 1999, I knew nothing about it. Basically, I went because the effects in the trailer looked so good.

I remember leaving the movies, after watching it, with a headache. I think the flick just gave my mind too much to process – between the effects and the story – and that plus it being allergy season led to the pain. And, since we (meaning my wife and I) saw it during the day, the headache got worse when we walked out of the darkness of the theater into the bright daylight. (Don’tcha just hate it when that happens?)

But, I was very impressed. And, when this one came out on DVD, I grabbed a copy of it on Day One.

Every chance I got, I watched it again, in the weeks that followed. It got to the point where it was really starting to annoy my wife. If I had a dime every time she walked into the family room, caught me watching it, and said “You’re watching that movie again?”…well…I would have a whole heap of dimes, at the least.

I watched it so many times that I pretty much had the script down to where I could mouth the words while watching it. So, yeah, you can say this is one of my all-time favs. I also liked the the second and third features that came in the series. But, not as much as the first.

It’s now almost ten years after it first came out. And, just recently, late one night, I was flicking channels and noticed this on HBO. What happened? I stopped to watch it for a while – even after all these times that I’ve seen it before…and, it’s still good, at least to me.

Comments on The Matrix (1999)

1. butchie22
      November 28th, 2008 | 9:36 am

I’m a big sci-fi fan and have never liked this one. It reminded me of a bad issue of Heavy Metal on crack sideways! What I didn’t like was the convoluted nature of the film. The plot was muddled and the pseudo-intellectual pretentiousness of the movie detracted from the great effects. It tried to be deep philosophically but the Wachowski Bros really screwed that part up.

2. November 28th, 2008 | 10:22 am

OMG.
      Heavy Metal.
      I havent’t thought about that magazine in at least 20 years. Thanks for the flashback!

3. Corey
      November 28th, 2008 | 10:32 am

Being an IT person myself, I liked that they used realistic (i know its hard to imagine) computer science terms (i.e. agents) and used them properly. My only complain about this movie were that the sequels were not as good (really didnt like the 3rd one with the mock superman fight)

4. DP
      November 29th, 2008 | 1:04 am

If you love “The Matrix”, I would recommend the Japanese action anime “Ghost in the Shell” to you — both the original movie and the even better TV series. The Wachowski Brothers, who made “The Matrix,” openly stole many of their visuals and ideas from the original GitS movie. I never watched anime until “Ghost in the Shell”, and I can’t commend it to you enough.

5. November 29th, 2008 | 6:24 am

Oh, come on! You have people in here saying the “pseudo-intellectual pretentiousness” of the movie prohibited them from enjoying the special effects (HAHA!)? seriously? Honestly, I think the “pseudo-intellectual” aspect of the comments are mind numbingly dumb. This is a provocative, smart, intelligent film. In fact, for “some” of you *points at Corey* to say that the worst part of this movie is that it was made into sequels that weren’t up to par in comparison is just stupid. Sorry, but that’s how I feel…

6. Corey
      November 29th, 2008 | 12:35 pm

what are you trying to say here lol, you actually liked the 2nd and 3rd movie? WHY DID HE HAVE SUPER POWERS OUTSIDE OF THE MATRIX!?!?!?

7. Corey
      November 29th, 2008 | 12:36 pm

not to mention the rave scene…if you liked that, you have no reason to point at me…