• WasWatching.com Water Cooler Talk 12/1/08

Posted by on December 1st, 2008 · Comments (15)

Feel free to use this post as a place for you to comment on anything Yankees-related (or within reach of tagging the bag of being Yankees-related on a decent slide) today. It could be a casual conversation offering, or, something you saw in the news, or something very detailed that you want to share that’s within the territory of Yankeeland.

Or, comment on something that someone else has posted here in the comments…

Have fun. Play nice. And, remember, keep it Yankees-focused.

Comments on WasWatching.com Water Cooler Talk 12/1/08

1. Tresh Fan
      December 1st, 2008 | 9:02 am

Just thought I’d like to comment on the Hall of Fame Veteran’s vote coming out in a short while. As you may know there are two separate ballots—one for post-1943 players voted on by all living Hall members, and one for pre-1943 players voted on by a special 12 member committee. There aren’t any Yankees on the post-1943 ballot (unless you count Joe Torre or Jim Kaat); but the pre-1943 ballot has three former Yankees: Carl Mays, Joe Gordon and Allie Reynolds. I wouldn’t give any of these three a plaque myself (especially Mays), but if I absolutely had to choose one of them I’d go for the “Super Chief.” How about you?

2. December 1st, 2008 | 9:17 am

Reynolds was my Dad’s fav pitcher. So, I’m biased, in a sense. But, based on everything that I’ve heard and read about him, I wouldn’t throw a fit if he was selected.

Still, it seems like there are other players out there, non-Yanks, who have a better case right now.

3. December 1st, 2008 | 9:18 am

Anyone else read this one?

thoughts?

4. Corey
      December 1st, 2008 | 9:23 am

nice outing for that OTHER guy…granted it was in winter ball, but it’d be nice for him to have a ton of confidence going into ST

5. December 1st, 2008 | 10:02 am

Kennedy lacks confidence? Actually, I think that’s the least of his problems.

December 1st, 2008 | 10:35 am

Kennedy lacks confidence? Actually, I think that’s the least of his problems.
      ———-
      Agreed :)

If Kennedy puts together another run like he did in the minors, you will see him next season, barring a trade.

December 1st, 2008 | 10:40 am

BTW, Steve I received the Josh Hamilton book late October, and I have enjoyed what I’ve read so far. Other commitments have me put reading it on the back burner, but will try to finish it when I can.

8. MJ
      December 1st, 2008 | 10:55 am

Anyone else read this one?

thoughts?
      ———————–
      Not buying it. Joe Torre being in New York wouldn’t necessarily lock up Sabathia coming here, nor will Joe Girardi’s presence necessarily preclude him from coming here. And, frankly, if Sabathia doesn’t want to come to the Yanks because he may not like Girardi or what he’s heard of Girardi, then that’s just fine. You don’t hire a manager based on whether or not free agents want to play for him.

9. Corey
      December 1st, 2008 | 11:00 am

Kennedy lacks confidence? Actually, I think that’s the least of his problems.
      =========
      Talking with confidence and pitching with confidence are 2 different things. You saw Kennedy pitch as much as I did, would you say he attacked hitters and pitched with confidence in his stuff? I’d say he nibbled at the corners, when that failed, he’d either walk the batter or throw a meatball.

10. MJ
      December 1st, 2008 | 11:03 am

—————
      Agree. I think Kennedy’s “confidence” was false bravado or something akin to not accepting his failures and trying to overcompensate with attitude. He certainly didn’t pitch with confidence when I was watching him this year.

December 1st, 2008 | 11:06 am

Kennedy’s game is location and changing speeds. Given some of his postgame comments, it appears he has no problem with the way he pitched, even if he didn’t get the desired results.

12. MJ
      December 1st, 2008 | 12:02 pm

——————
      Aren’t we saying the same thing then? His comments strike me as the talk of a guy who talked tough but pitched scared. The fact that he’s a location pitcher who was afraid of locating gives me the idea that he wasn’t trusting himself as much as his comments might indicate.

13. MJ
      December 1st, 2008 | 12:15 pm

According to Ken Davidoff at Newsday (with a tip of the hat to the RAB crew), it appears as though the Yanks won’t offer arbitration to Pudge or Pettitte.

Obviously I have no idea if that’s true or not. However, if the report is correct, I find it very odd that the Yanks would forego the compensation draft picks for both players, each of whom is certain to be in demand by other ballclubs.

December 1st, 2008 | 12:16 pm

If you look at his post game comments in the minors, he projects the same attitude.

15. Corey
      December 1st, 2008 | 12:59 pm

walking the walk and talking the talk are different things