• Pettitte Wants To Return – But Yanks Want Him To Take 38% Paycut

Posted by on December 3rd, 2008 · Comments (29)

Via Jack Curry -

Before the Yankees ended their disappointing 2008 season, Andy Pettitte toured the new Yankee Stadium. While he was in the spacious clubhouse, he picked out the locker that he said he wanted to use in 2009.

Whether or not Pettitte will ever hang a pinstriped uniform in that locker is still uncertain. The pitching-needy Yankees want to re-sign Pettitte, and Pettitte reiterated Wednesday that he wanted to return, but the two sides are at a stalemate over his salary.

“I mean, to tell you the truth, like I’ve told you all a hundred times, I’ve made it loud and clear where I’d like to play at,” Pettitte, 36, said in a telephone interview. “I’m just basically sitting here letting my agents do their job really.”

What Randy and Alan Hendricks, Pettitte’s agents, are trying to do is to make sure their client avoids a pay cut. Pettitte made $16 million last season, one of the highest salaries in the major leagues for a pitcher, and his agents have stressed that he wants the same salary. The Yankees have offered Pettitte $10 million, and they seemingly have no immediate plans to improve their offer.

“We’d like to have him back,” General Manager Brian Cashman said Wednesday. “It’s come to the arena of trying to achieve common ground on money, which is easier said than done.”

When Pettitte was asked about possibly accepting a pay cut to come back, he dodged the topic.

“Again, for me to even talk about anything right now, it does no good,” Pettitte said. “I really don’t even want to talk about it or anything, as far as what that has to do with me and all that. I’m just letting Randy and Alan and the Yankees work things out. I’m basically just trying to enjoy my off-season with my family, and that’s it.”

The Yankees paid Carl Pavano $10 million a year to “pitch” for them. The Cubs recently signed Ryan Dempster to a contract that will average $13 million a season to throw for them.

There’s no way that Andy Pettitte should be expected to sign for $10 million a year now (from the Yankees). When you factor in his buyout, the Yankees paid Mike Mussina $12 million last season to pitch for them. And, now, Pettitte’s supposed to take ten? Thirteen or fourteen million would be a fair offer, in my opinion. But, ten?

Sounds like Andy’s getting the Post-2007 Joe Torre “employment offer” package from the Yanks, if you ask me…and it would not shock me to see him end up going west, like Torre did, if New York sticks to their offer.

Comments on Pettitte Wants To Return – But Yanks Want Him To Take 38% Paycut

December 3rd, 2008 | 10:58 pm

38%? Good luck with that…

Having said that, I wonder how the market will shape up.

2. gphunt
      December 3rd, 2008 | 11:08 pm

The guy has made over 100 million in his career. When the hell does it start to matter more about winning instead of making money. Let him go.

3. sanair
      December 4th, 2008 | 12:31 am

Pettitte didn’t put up the numbers Mussina or Dempster put up last year. He’s an admitted PED user. He’s got a bum elbow. Since when is he worth more than $10 mil in a crummy economy?

4. Tresh Fan
      December 4th, 2008 | 12:41 am

So far as I’m concerned Pettitte can take the $10 million or take a hike. There’s no reason to throw good money after bad (i.e. Pavano).

5. thenewguy
      December 4th, 2008 | 1:11 am

Let’s pretend Andy Pettitte is CC Sabathia…

If Andy Pettitte isn’t willing to take a pay cut to play for the Yankees, then I guess that means he doesn’t really want to be a Yankee. I mean, CC really wants to play on the WC and is willing to take less money. I mean, jeez, why would we even want Pettitte on the team if he is all about the money?

But seriously, offering him less money isn’t quite equivalent to offering Torre less. Pettitte is older and not as good a pitcher, therefore he should be paid less money. This often happens to older players. As a manager, I don’t see how you could say his skill set declined. Sure, his results weren’t as good, but there are different criterion for managers. There is no reason a manager should ever be offered less money than he was already making with the same team.

Pettitte should be offered 13-14, but 10 million is not completely aggregious, like Torre’s offer was. I would not be surprised to see the Yankees raise their offer, especially if his agents become warm with Ned Coletti.

6. sanair
      December 4th, 2008 | 1:14 am

For what its worth, this also explains why the Yankees didn’t offer arbitration to Pettitte. They don’t want to pay him $16m, let alone risk him being awarded $18m is arbitration.

7. December 4th, 2008 | 4:37 am

I agree that $10 million isn’t enough. I do think, though, that the Yankees are simply using that as a starting point and will end up increasing the deal to $12 or $13 million. Basically, if the Yankees thought that Andy was worth $10 million and $10 million alone, I don’t think they’d even pursue him, not with other pitchers available (who can give you “$10 millon production”).

8. Tex Antoine
      December 4th, 2008 | 7:34 am

Good riddance to bad rubbish. A moral hypocrite, an admitted cheat, and a .500 pitcher on the other side of 35–he should be paying the Yankees for the privilege of pitching here. Buh-bye.

9. MJ
      December 4th, 2008 | 9:10 am

—————-
      Bingo. What you get offered is all about what you did most recently. Dempster was in the NL Cy Young race. Ditto Mussina.

Andy wants $16M and the Yanks say they want him for $10M. Which sounds to me a lot like they’ll meet in the middle at $13M and call it a deal. Now, if the Yanks make that offer and Andy refuses it, it’s his right. But in a negotiation, no way should $16M be the starting point, regardless of the fact that his name is Andy Pettitte and he won some big games for the Yankees a decade ago.

10. December 4th, 2008 | 9:35 am

FWIW, check Pettitte’s FIP ERA last year. He was killed last season by the Yankees lack of defense. And, he did this with a arm that was not 100% sound. He can still pitch, and handle NY, and the Yankees are making a mistake on nickle and diming him over a few million.

$16 mill? No way. But, at least offer the guy $12 or $13 mill. Ten is an insult.

11. MJ
      December 4th, 2008 | 9:46 am

————————
      Pettitte’s agents are adamant that their client won’t take a pay cut. Offering $13M seems like a final offer with no negotiation room other than upwards. If they’re smart, they know that the $13M offer is potentially sitting there as long as neither side gets too haughty or stubborn.

The Yanks aren’t going to factor in bad defense into the equation. From a business perspective, that’s not their problem, it’s Pettitte’s.

12. Corey
      December 4th, 2008 | 9:55 am

you guys forget pettite’s first half very easily… if not for his first half, the yanks woulda had a record similar to the year before’s…and we all know last years hole was insurmountable, imagine what would have happened if they were down further…=

13. December 4th, 2008 | 10:03 am

~Look, I love Andy. But he’s got to take a paycut and this is part of the negotiation.~

A 38% cut? That’s crazy. Make it like 15% or 20%, or somewhere in between – that’s fair. The Yankees are really being ballsie here with the 38% cut – considering their DIRE need for SP.

14. MJ
      December 4th, 2008 | 10:04 am

I am not forgetting Pettitte’s first half. He pitched very well at times this year. I don’t think the Yankees are forgetting it either. Again, it’s a negotiation. You don’t start at the figure you’re prepared to pay, you start below that. If the Hendricks brothers don’t know that (and I’m sure they do) then they’re in the wrong business.

15. MJ
      December 4th, 2008 | 10:07 am

—————-
      What part of the word “negotiation” is eluding you here? Offering $13M (a very fair price) is essentially a take it or leave it sum. The Yanks obviously don’t want to pay $16M for Pettitte’s services in 2009 otherwise they would’ve offered him arbitration. It appears to me that they want him at $13M which means both sides have to move $3M in the same direction (Yanks up, Andy down).

Don’t get bogged down in the nonsense of 38% today. Focus only on what he ends up signing for, in New York or elsewhere. If he takes $13M, your complaints will have been for naught. And if he gets $16M from the Dodgers or someone else, that’s great for him and his family but that was too much to offer him when he was coming off an average season (and I’m being somewhat kind).

16. Tresh Fan
      December 4th, 2008 | 10:34 am

FWIW, in terms of Win Shares this past season Andy Pettitte(10) ranked behind Robinson Cano(12) and just ahead of Jose Molina(9).

17. thenewguy
      December 4th, 2008 | 10:38 am

————————–

Like MJ said, it’s a negotiation. If you want there is a price that you want the player for (like 13 mil) and he wants more (like 16 mil), then you cannot offer him 13 mil as the starting point or you will end up paying him closer to 16 mil. However, if you start out offering him 10 mil, and he wants 16 mil, then 13 mil is the reasonable halfway point. Therefore, you start by offering him 10 mil with the expectation of finding a middle ground. Negotiations are about leverage.

December 4th, 2008 | 11:13 am

————–
      Maybe then their need isn’t as bad as it appears? They’ve managed to find starters before, how would it be any different now?

19. Corey
      December 4th, 2008 | 1:02 pm

=======

im not sure what basis win shares are based on, but isnt comparing a pitcher that pitches once every 5 days (sometimes fewer) to guy who play every day a bit unfair?

20. Corey
      December 4th, 2008 | 1:04 pm

And what if the yanks do want to end up paying pettite 13 mil but Pettite doesn’t sign here an gets 16 million in LA, doesnt this seem silly over 3 million (in yankeeland money)

21. Corey
      December 4th, 2008 | 1:07 pm

============
      i guess, but what are the odds a Chacon-esque player comes around? (esp when Chacon wasn’t Chacon-esque for more than a few months) Throwing Ponsons’ and Chacons at a prob doesnt solve it

22. antone
      December 4th, 2008 | 1:26 pm

If the Yanks don’t get Sabathia..then you can bet Teixeira or Manny will be a Yankee next year.

23. MJ
      December 4th, 2008 | 2:23 pm

———————-
      If Pettitte gets $16M to pitch for the Dodgers then he’s got to go. If the Yanks wanted to pay him $16M they’d have offered him arbitration and the fact that they didn’t tells us that, yes, the $3M difference between $13M and $16M was a big deal.

If AJ Burnett is considered this market’s #2 starting pitcher and he’s going to get an AAV of $16M, I don’t see why the Dodgers would pay up to that level, even for one season. Obviously it’s too soon to tell how the market will shape up but I don’t think Pettitte will get $16M and I think $13M is the more appropriate range for his services.

24. butchie22
      December 4th, 2008 | 3:10 pm

MJ some interesting points and the Yankees really have no choice right now. Hearing Kay spin this Pettite situation is so sad. Pettitte is the devil you do know. Any Yankee fan that wants Burnett over Pettitte might be on crack! AP didn’t have a great year last year(certainly not like Moose),but the Yanks need people that can do it in NYC. How many people think that Sheets, Peavy, Burnett or even CC can cut it here in NYC? Pettitte is not the greatest, but I fear that some of these pitchers might become Pavano part Deux…..

December 4th, 2008 | 3:24 pm

———–
      If they can pitch, they can pitch in NYC. If they stunk before NYC, don’t be surprised if they stink while pitching in NYC.

26. antone
      December 4th, 2008 | 3:28 pm

Not to mention it would be kind of hard to field a full pitching staff if the Yankees didn’t sign players who never played in New York before…jesus.

27. MJ
      December 4th, 2008 | 3:52 pm

—————
      Couldn’t agree more.

Butchie, why would you think that those pitchers can’t cut it in NY?

28. thenewguy
      December 4th, 2008 | 5:25 pm

—————
      Couldn’t agree more.
      Butchie, why would you think that those pitchers can’t cut it in NY?

————————

I would just add that a few pitchers who seem to have “sucked in NYC” really just suck in general. K. Brown was washed up, same with Jaret Wright and (pretty much) the same with RJ, although RJ was injured too.

The two most common references, Javy Vazquez and Jeff Weaver, actually just suck in general. I mean, if Jeff Weaver can win a WS game, I don’t think he is *scared* of NY. He just sucks Who else am I missing?

I don’t think playing for the Yankees is as scary as everyone says, and I wouldn’t worry

29. OldYanksFan
      December 4th, 2008 | 8:06 pm

C’mon guys….
      I think the vast majority of fans want Andy back.
      I think the vast majority of fans think $16m is high.
      I think the vast majority of fans think $10m is low.
      I think the vast majority of fans think $13m is fair.
      So Cashman is playing hardball? That’s cool. Lots of people admire Theo for doing the same thing.
      Would it be so terrible if the Yankees did NOT continue to always overplay players? And sent this message?