• WasWatching.com Water Cooler Talk 12/3/08

Posted by on December 3rd, 2008 · Comments (7)

Feel free to use this post as a place for you to comment on anything Yankees-related (or within reach of tagging the bag of being Yankees-related on a decent slide) today. It could be a casual conversation offering, or, something you saw in the news, or something very detailed that you want to share that’s within the territory of Yankeeland.

Or, comment on something that someone else has posted here in the comments…

Have fun. Play nice. And, remember, keep it Yankees-focused.

Comments on WasWatching.com Water Cooler Talk 12/3/08

1. antone
      December 3rd, 2008 | 2:22 pm

Interesting news for some of the Yankees rivals:

- Perrotto speaks of whispers of a possible White Sox-Mets blockbuster. The Mets would receive Jermaine Dye and Bobby Jenks and the White Sox would receive Fernando Martinez among others.

- The Red Sox are considering free agents Willie Bloomquist, Jay Payton, and Mark Loretta as possible bench additions.

Not sure why they would even try to bring Payton back, since he was nothing but a headache the last time he was in Boston.

2. MJ
      December 3rd, 2008 | 2:26 pm

—————-
      Interesting. Dye would certainly be an improvement over the garbage the Mets have been trotting out there in the corner OF spots the past several seasons. I don’t see why the White Sox would do that for Fernando Martinez as a centerpiece. If the Mets aren’t including Niese or someone else too, there’s something wrong.

3. antone
      December 3rd, 2008 | 2:43 pm

—————
      At this point, I have no idea what the White Sox are up to. I know they want to get younger, but I was under the impression that meant get younger and compete at the same time, but that doesn’t seem to be the case with this trade. I definitely think they are up to something.

4. YankCrank
      December 3rd, 2008 | 3:09 pm

I agree with both of you, if they’re giving up Dye and Jenks I certainly hope they’d ask for more than just Martinez. But then again, we got Swisher for a bag of crap named Betemit and Marquez.

5. MJ
      December 3rd, 2008 | 3:54 pm

At this point, I have no idea what the White Sox are up to.
      —————
      It’s really hard to know. Last year I thought the White Sox had a horrible winter and they ended up winning their division and going to the playoffs.

Like I said in my comment about the Javy Vazquez trade yesterday, one thing’s for sure, Kenny Williams loves to deal.

6. antone
      December 3rd, 2008 | 4:22 pm

—————————
      The improvement of Danks and Floyd was probably the biggest key to their success this season. Going into the year, I thought they would be around .500, so with those two guys improving, I’m not that surprised they ending up winning the divison, especially once the Indians dumped Sabathia and Blake.

I think the White Sox are counting on Clayton Richard or Aaron Poreda to help them out in the rotation this year to go along with Buehrle, Floyd, and Danks.

I’m not sure what they are doing offensively though, because they traded for a catcher who can hit but can’t catch, yet they still have Konorko and Thome locked into 1B/DH and now they might trade Dye. Seems like it would have made more sense to trade Konerko and Dye and hang onto to Swisher since he is younger and can play more than 1 position, but Ozzie hates him so I guess that’s why he had to go.

I’m wondering if Konerko is the next to go and then maybe they go after Teixeira?

7. MJ
      December 3rd, 2008 | 4:44 pm

—————————
      I just don’t know of too many teams that would take the $24M left on Konerko’s deal after he’s put up declining numbers over the past two seasons. Certainly, if the White Sox could pull that off, it would be good for them, but I would highly doubt it at this point.