• WasWatching.com Water Cooler Talk 12/11/08

Posted by on December 11th, 2008 · Comments (30)

Feel free to use this post as a place for you to comment on anything Yankees-related (or within reach of tagging the bag of being Yankees-related on a decent slide) today. It could be a casual conversation offering, or, something you saw in the news, or something very detailed that you want to share that’s within the territory of Yankeeland.

Or, comment on something that someone else has posted here in the comments…

Have fun. Play nice. And, remember, keep it Yankees-focused.

Comments on WasWatching.com Water Cooler Talk 12/11/08

1. sanair
      December 11th, 2008 | 8:15 am

Some time ago I read that the Yankees were temporarily exempt from paying the luxury tax, on account of the team needing to spend its own money on building the stadium. Does anyone know if that is true, and if so, how long this exemption will last?

2. bfriley76
      December 11th, 2008 | 8:52 am

Anyone else hear those Cameron for Melky reports?

3. December 11th, 2008 | 9:05 am

sanair, see: http://www.nytimes.com/2008/12/11/sports/baseball/11sandomir.html?ref=baseball

bfriley76 – got a link on that one?

4. December 11th, 2008 | 9:18 am

Graziano had it early this morning, and i think ESPN ran with it as an agreement in principle… looks like Melky, and a pitcher on the 40-man roster not named Ian Kennedy for Cameron.

5. December 11th, 2008 | 9:27 am

Thanks – I just posted something on it

6. December 11th, 2008 | 10:17 am

Heyman continues to insist the Yanks are in on Teixeira, btw… had another report on it this morning on cnnsi.com.

i dont buy it, but Heyman refuses to give the scoop/story/rumor up.

7. December 11th, 2008 | 10:31 am

question:

if the Yankees do get Burnett, as it looks like they will, and go Sabathia, Wang, Burnett, and Joba…

do you forget about Pettitte, Sheets, or Lowe, and let Hughes, Aceves, and company battle for the 5th spot, and spin the money you were going to spend on another pitcher for Teixeira?

8. MJ
      December 11th, 2008 | 10:39 am

—————-
      If I were the Yanks, I’d go Sabathia-Wang-Sheets-Pettitte-Joba with Kennedy/Hughes/Aceves ready to go in AAA.

Assuming a 2Y/$30M contract for Sheets and a 1Y/$14M contract for Pettitte would leave more than enough room for the team to add Teixeira, a player the Yanks truly need.

LF Damon
      SS Jeter
      1B Teixeira
      3B Rodriguez
      DH Matsui
      CF Cameron
      C Posada
      2B Cano
      RF Nady

I realize this relegates Swisher to the bench but since Damon and Matsui both need rest, you can rotate LF and DH between the three of them.

9. ludovico
      December 11th, 2008 | 10:47 am

Is it fair to ask your readers to “keep it Yankees-focused” when you do not with your posts?

10. antone
      December 11th, 2008 | 12:13 pm

Some Bobby Arbeu Rumors:

Here’s a rumor from Mark Feinsand of the New York Daily News that slipped through the cracks yesterday. His source says the White Sox seem to have the inside track on Bobby Abreu, assuming they trade Jermaine Dye first. Feinsand doesn’t figure the Rays will match Abreu’s price, though they met with his agents at in Vegas. He adds that Johan Santana is pushing the Mets to sign Abreu.

11. antone
      December 11th, 2008 | 12:16 pm

LF Damon
      SS Jeter
      1B Teixeira
      3B Rodriguez
      DH Matsui
      CF Cameron
      C Posada
      2B Cano
      RF Nady

———————

I agree with the pitching and the idea of using Swisher to rest Matsui and Damon, but that lineup needs Cameron dropped to 9th. I don’t think the Yanks get Teixeira anyway though.

12. MJ
      December 11th, 2008 | 12:43 pm

——————
      I admit I can’t stand Nady and think he’s garbage. Batting Nady or Cameron 9th ultimately doesn’t matter though.

I agree we don’t get Teixeira and you have no idea how much that burns me up. I truly don’t understand how Lowe/Burnett are deemed more important to the Yankees than adding Teixeira who is younger, in his prime, and the surest bet of any of the free agents to justify the contract.

I’ve defended Cashman in the past and I will remain patient and optimistic that he’s got other plans up his sleeve. But I do have to say that chasing Lowe/Burnett is mind-boggling and idiotic.

December 11th, 2008 | 1:01 pm

But I do have to say that chasing Lowe/Burnett is mind-boggling and idiotic.
      ——–
      I agree wholeheartedly.

But I’ll temper my negative feelings until the bats are off the market; there still is plenty of time between now and P&C’s

14. antone
      December 11th, 2008 | 1:27 pm

I have a feeling Manny is going to be a Yankee.

15. MJ
      December 11th, 2008 | 1:29 pm

—————–
      Yes. I’m trying to remind myself that the winter isn’t over and that the Yanks can still rectify their offense. It’s hard to remember that when PeteAbe keeps on saying the Yanks have no shot at Teixeira but I suppose it’s never over ’till it’s over as a famous former Yankee once said.

16. MJ
      December 11th, 2008 | 1:33 pm

I have a feeling Manny is going to be a Yankee.
      ————-
      Maybe. With Damon and Nady in LF and RF, respectively and CF consisting of something along the lines of Melky/Cameron or Gardner, Manny would be the everday DH. I guess that means goodbye Matsui.

Manny’s a total douche and an atrocious teammate. But he can absolutely destroy any pitch thrown to him. On a two-year deal with an option for a third year, I’d be happy to go over-market for him. I wouldn’t give him more than that.

17. antone
      December 11th, 2008 | 1:42 pm

——————————–
      That’s why I think they’d be in on it because so far that’s all that has been offered to him. The Dodgers seem like the only team in it. I think the Yankees might overpay 2 years plus an option, which might force the Dodgers to gaurantee 3 years or give 3 and an option and then the Yankees get out of it.

I say get rid of Matsui and let Manny DH. I’d be surprised if Matsui has a full season left in him. He’s got a lot of wear and tear on his body and he is not an athletic guy and those types don’t seem to age well. If you didn’t know any better you would think that Matsui was actually the older one.

18. MJ
      December 11th, 2008 | 1:59 pm

I say get rid of Matsui and let Manny DH.
      —————–
      I can’t see any team that would want Matsui. No one would trade for him unless the Yanks paid his salary and, at that point, why bother letting Matsui go for free?

It’s a shame that Matsui’s declined so rapidly since re-signing with the Yanks in 2006 but I don’t think anyone could’ve known how quickly he’d break down after being the picture of consistency and health for all those years in Japan and NY.

The upshot is simply that he’s a free agent at the end of the year and that’ll be $13M coming off the books.

19. December 11th, 2008 | 2:05 pm

Any thoughts on the Rule 5 Draft?

The Yankees lost 4: Reegie Corona, Zach Kroenke, Ivan Nova, and Jason Jones.

December 11th, 2008 | 2:44 pm

Any thoughts on the Rule 5 Draft?

The Yankees lost 4: Reegie Corona, Zach Kroenke, Ivan Nova, and Jason Jones.
      ————
      None of those guys were going to help the Yanks in the immediate future. 3 pen arms and a utility infielder, these guys are (were) pretty far down on the depth chart.

21. December 11th, 2008 | 2:48 pm

Reegie Corona

The perfect baseball name – being named after a hotdog and a beer.

My father-in-law gets the credit for that one…

22. Corey
      December 11th, 2008 | 2:50 pm

anyone else wonder if matsui juiced in japan?

23. December 11th, 2008 | 2:52 pm

ludovico – not sure that I follow you? Can you expand on your question?

24. December 11th, 2008 | 2:53 pm

~~anyone else wonder if matsui juiced in japan?~~

Never.

Smaller parks. Smaller ball. Weaker pitchers. It all leads to 50 HR power there…

25. MJ
      December 11th, 2008 | 3:15 pm

————-
      Agreed, although I’m kinda sorry we lost Zach Kroenke. To be honest, I was pretty sure Kevin Whelan would be taken and I’m surprised he wasn’t.

I can understand teams taking fliers on the pitchers. I don’t quite get what the Mariners will do with Corona on their 25-man roster right now.

December 11th, 2008 | 4:35 pm

———
      I suppose he’ll be the 25th guy… Utility inf, of which there are a dime a dozen.

From USS Mariner
      The M’s used the second pick in the Rule 5 draft to pluck 22-year-old middle infielder Reegie Corona out of the Yankees system. He’s played both SS and 2B, though spent most of 2008 playing second base for Trenton in Double-A.

If you liked Willie Bloomquist, you’ll like Corona. He’s a switch-hitter with very little power who knows how to work the count and will take some walks, and he’s also a pretty good baserunner. His total lack of power limits his upside to utility guy, but Corona’s the type of guy that explains why we’ve always said Bloomquist is so easily replaced. These guys are everywhere.

He’s probably the M’s 25th man/pinch runner/backup shortstop. Very little upside, but fills a decent hole that the M’s didn’t have any internal candidates for.

27. bfriley76
      December 11th, 2008 | 4:49 pm

PeteAbe is reporting that Giambi is still holding out hope of coming back to the Bronx, and most likely would be willing to do so at a discount. Lets say the Yanks don’t get that last bat we were hoping for. What sort of contract would make you say “sure…I’ll take back Giambi”

28. Corey
      December 11th, 2008 | 4:59 pm

“sure…I’ll take back Giambi”
      =========
      nah…theres really no room for him anymore

29. MJ
      December 11th, 2008 | 5:03 pm

nah…theres really no room for him anymore
      —————
      There is if the Yanks don’t get Teixeira or Manny.

30. butchie22
      December 11th, 2008 | 7:35 pm

MJ, I agree with your point on LOwe/Burnett. They need offense and they are dicking around with that soft jerk Burnett. They couldn’t buy a hit last year and are losing production. Teixeira and CC should have been the top priorities this season. If Burnett is signed, this team is truly idiotic and spending like drunken sailors. They are not spending wisely but stupidly.

In the past , I’ve criticized Omar for not making the right adjustments BUT this offseason? He has been brilliant so far. They lost so many games because of the bullpen so what does he do? He gets Putz and Krod! Nice job Omar. Meanwhile at the asylum, Cash Man and Co are focusing on pitching when their offense was garbage last year. They lose Abreu AND Giambi and this is the answer: nothing? What is the answer Adam Dumb, Dave Kingman Jr? Pat Burrell, another DH in the making? The yanks are in deep trouble with these moves they want to make, hopefully they can get it together but I’m pessimistic.