• WasWatching.com Water Cooler Talk 12/15/08

Posted by on December 15th, 2008 · Comments (15)

Feel free to use this post as a place for you to comment on anything Yankees-related (or within reach of tagging the bag of being Yankees-related on a decent slide) today. It could be a casual conversation offering, or, something you saw in the news, or something very detailed that you want to share that’s within the territory of Yankeeland.

Or, comment on something that someone else has posted here in the comments…

Have fun. Play nice. And, remember, keep it Yankees-focused.

Comments on WasWatching.com Water Cooler Talk 12/15/08

1. Davis 57-09
      December 15th, 2008 | 9:39 am

The Yankees have about 90 million coming off their payroll this year and with the signings of Sabathia and Burns they can still spend 20 mil on Mark Teixiera and be 30 mil under last years payroll, so what’s the beef with their spending.Seems to me we get the best 3 free agents available and we still have 30 mil left.Sounds pretty good to me.
      As far as Centerfield goes the Yankees already have him in Brett Gardner. He’s probably the best defensive Centerfielder I have seen in 56 years of watching the Yankees and I believe this Kid could hit 280 to 300 in the Major Leagues and steal 40 to 60 bases a year. I love the way this kid plays the game and the excitement he could bring to the Yankees.

2. Sicilian Lou
      December 15th, 2008 | 11:35 am

Well, I am new to this board.. So, I will start off with the idea of furthering the depth of our pitching staff.. This time however, I would like it to be via a trade.. Now, I’ve read on many threads and blogs about Peavy as a possible idea. So, I add this, I am not a fan of Peavy not because he doesn’t have the stuff to compete but the stuff you need to play in NY.. But, if a Peavy trade is in the works, why not go all out and inquire about the Padres first basemen as well.. So, I ask Yankees, whats your thoughts on a trade for Peavy and Gonzalez to NY?….. Would it make sense to pursue both or just one?.. Thanks…

December 15th, 2008 | 12:12 pm

I believe Gonzalez is not available. Also Peavy would have to waive his no-trade clause, which I doubt he will do, especially since everything I’ve read says that he wants to stay in the NL.

From a pitching depth standpoint, the Yanks currently stand at 7-8 starters (CC, AJ, CMW, Joba, Hughes, Kennedy, Aceves, Geise) plus more on the way in the system.

4. YankCrank
      December 15th, 2008 | 1:16 pm

Davis 57-09, your payroll projection isn’t accurate. The boys at RAB did a payroll projection as of today, and the Yankees have $173.85 million committed to only 15 players on their 25-man roster right now. If you take those other 10 players and assume they make around the league minimum to slightly above, that would make the 25-man roster around $183.85 million. That’s right at the $180 million cap that Cashman wanted, even though the Yanks could exceed that if they’d like to.

If they sign Pettitte, that number goes up another $10 million. If they trade for Cameron and have to eat some salary, that number goes up even more. Basically, we’re not at $30 million under last year’s payroll…1 or 2 more conservative moves like Pettitte or Cam (that don’t include $20 million+ a year for Manny or Tex) and we’re either approaching last years payroll. The Yanks can get created and structure deals to make them cost more later on, but there is no way we can sign Tex and still be $30 million under last year’s payroll. Here’s the RAB link if you’d like to check it out…

5. antone
      December 15th, 2008 | 2:24 pm

SI.com’s Jon Heyman says Andy Pettitte’s agents are telling teams he had a three-year, $36MM offer in hand (the team is not known). This apparently has not moved the Yankees to increase their one-year, $10MM offer.
      ——————————–
      What team would offer Pettitte 3 years?

6. Corey
      December 15th, 2008 | 2:26 pm

=============
      carefull, you’ve only seen this guy in a limited time span…

7. jmeisner
      December 15th, 2008 | 3:54 pm

Steve, just throwing this out there, and I’m not sure how other people feel, but I’m not a fan of these water cooler posts. I think it would just make more sense to have some sort of message board/forum for general discussion, wouldn’t it? I’m kind of tired of you telling me to “play nice” every day.

8. Corey
      December 15th, 2008 | 4:51 pm

i don’t think he types these out each day…plus a message board would detract from the layout of the site…the site is about the blog, not about a message board, and i suspect if he created a message board that’s what would happen…if you don’t want to play nice, feel free to duke it out at lohud.

December 15th, 2008 | 5:40 pm

Before WasWatching, there were the forums that Steve had @ Netshrine.

10. December 15th, 2008 | 6:04 pm

Funny, when I rolled these Water Coolers out (back in October?) people were quite fond of the idea (of having an open thread each weekday).

And, for the record, yes, I just cut and paste the message – and I actually have them on a publishing scheduler (chron job thing). Over the weekend, I set a bunch of them up to publish around 7 am each weekday.

Personally, since many said they liked them in the past, and they seem to get some use (as people are leaving comments on them), I’m inclined to leave them as is – until there’s a bunch of people who ask for them to stop. Of course, if you don’t like them, there’s always the option to just ignore them.

Discussion Board? Yeah, I ran one for years at NetShrine.com

You couldn’t pay me to that again. Well, maybe, if you paid me like CC….

Seriously, having been down that road before, I don’t see myself doing it again.

11. thenewguy
      December 15th, 2008 | 6:24 pm

————————-

I think I speak for many readers when I agree with you that I like the open thread. The only issue I have with it is that sometimes there are so many posts (by Steve) in a day that the open thread falls quite far down the page. The water cooler is most effective when it is at or near the top of the page. I don’t know if there is a way to create a seperate column for the water cooler talk, but making it more accessible (on days when there is a lot to report) might make it a little bit more effective.

December 15th, 2008 | 6:29 pm

Discussion Board? Yeah, I ran one for years at NetShrine.com

You couldn’t pay me to that again.
      ————
      I showed up towards the end (before it became invite only); was it really that bad?

13. December 15th, 2008 | 7:51 pm

Worse than bad. But, it was a learning experience!

~~The only issue I have with it is that sometimes there are so many posts (by Steve) in a day that the open thread falls quite far down the page. ~~

Dude. Today, the WC was posted around 7 am.
      After that, these were added:

Lofton To Sabathia: Beware Yankeeland

By The Way…

Sherman: New Yanks To Be King Of K’s?

But, the WC stayed on top until the Pettitte news.

Haven’t you noticed that I’ve been keeping the WC on top, for a while, each day?

December 15th, 2008 | 9:08 pm

——
      Ok, I thought I was going crazy.

December 15th, 2008 | 11:07 pm